Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Lead And Water Stained Sign

WCF

Help Support WCF:

chip

Ive been asked to clean this sign above a shop. Had a go years back but soap didn't touch it. Was wondering it the baking powder and vinegar idea would do it. The sign is (according to shop guy) not painted, some sort of plastic, with vinyl stickers. It looks like its standard water marks and run off from lead. Personally I think it's shot it, but if anyone has an idea........

if it is the lead that has caused it, then it might not come off at all, you might get a bit off but thats about it, not sure what to use tho.

Use hydrochloric acid for the lead stains, If you dont want to buy or toy with that stronger stuff. I would suggest ''Duck power'' the one with the redish label. I got it the other day for cleaning out the pipes in the house, after reading the label I noticed there was hydrochloric acid in it. I may be enough to get thoes stains off?

Over the past few weeks seen a few posts about cleaning white plastic frames, polishing them, polishing glass ect. Just seen this post and I'll tell you what I've found, but keep it a secret lol

Go into any plastic supply's ask for pvcu solvent cleaner. £23+vat. Brand, bondit. Put on dry frames, shop signs glass everything, with and old scrim, scotch lightly any stains. Wash off and dry as usual and stand back!! I started off last week with 3 shop fronts, one a mates ether side because of him. I did 16 today, Nuff said GF

Over the past few weeks seen a few posts about cleaning white plastic frames, polishing them, polishing glass ect. Just seen this post and I'll tell you what I've found, but keep it a secret lol

Go into any plastic supply's ask for pvcu solvent cleaner. £23+vat. Brand, bondit. Put on dry frames, shop signs glass everything, with and old scrim, scotch lightly any stains. Wash off and dry as usual and stand back!! I started off last week with 3 shop fronts, one a mates ether side because of him. I did 16 today, Nuff said GF
being over charged with that price you can buy a litre of it from £3

when using this sort of product you have to be really carfull! below are the hazzard warnings that come with that product

The product is classified in accordance with 67/548/EEC.

Symbols F: Highly flammable. Xn: Harmful. N: Dangerous for the environment.

Risk phrases R11 - Highly flammable.

R38 - Irritating to skin.

R51/53 - Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic

environment.

R65 - Harmful: may cause lung damage if swallowed.

R66 - Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking.

R67 - Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness.

A pound silly, the 99p stores are shut down now, the ones round here anyway
ohhhh must of missed the clue in the reply! oh well only 1p out! lol

we still have a few round here, but 50% of the store is over 99p! lol

when using this sort of product you have to be really carfull! below are the hazzard warnings that come with that product

The product is classified in accordance with 67/548/EEC.

Symbols F: Highly flammable. Xn: Harmful. N: Dangerous for the environment.

Risk phrases R11 - Highly flammable.

R38 - Irritating to skin.

R51/53 - Toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic

environment.

R65 - Harmful: may cause lung damage if swallowed.

R66 - Repeated exposure may cause skin dryness or cracking.

R67 - Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness.
Yet but it smells really nice!!! No tbh it's like any cleaning product you have to follow coshh but it is really good and well worth the hazards as once done keeping them clean is a peace of cake.

being over charged with that price you can buy a litre of it from £3
That was for 6lr drum with the prep kit, gloves masks rag scotch bright pads and data sheet.

First, try using Cif (or a similar brand, I use astonish from the pound shop) and acetone (nail polish remover, pound shop.) I put the acetone in a spray bottle ( 89p, shop next to pound shop) and use a giant sponge that has an extra abrasive back to it from wintecs (these are great) http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=122&osCsid=vp2ad3k5kng1sdm3gc53911ao6

Basically I use the acetone to get off everything I can, its pretty damn effective. Spray on area, scrub with sponge, wipe clean with damp cloth before the acetone evaporates and the dirt sticks to the surface again. Any whites that are left looking grubby after that I hit with the cream cleaner. Get one with the little microabrasives, it really makes stuff come up good.

Same for any and all UPVC frames/conservatories but I charge extra for it and call it a UPVC deep clean. It takes a while but the results are good and people are always happy to pay for good results /emoticons/smile.png

acetone and solvent cleaner are for getting rid of sticky marks like vinyls and window stickers etc, for plastics i would try cream cleaner first as said above, then move onto a plastic polish if needed,

also, the small wire wool pads that come pre-loaded with soap, (pink), are amazing on hard marks, i had to clean the windows on the side of a house iv been pointing all week so there was dried morter and brick/cement dust all over the frames, used the wire wool pads and they came up really nice! 44p for a pack of 15! /emoticons/smile.png

Back