Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

To Clean or Not To Clean?

Master Jedi Alejandro

Premium Member
Morning All,

Had something funny happen yesterday and today. I had two customers, same estate but streets apart, not pay me for last month’s clean. I only let it build up one clean and I had messaged them both a number of times last month and this month, in the final two texts explaining their next clean was coming up for due and they needed to pay so not to miss out. 

Well the first guy didn’t pay and I was in his street yesterday and missed him. Then didn’t he pay that evening! So I’m thinking ‘well you’ve missed out mate’ and not going to bother going back this month, not sure if I should go back at all. The second woman paid this morning. I’m about to head out. She gave us £7 tip! Technically she’s due today but I’m not sure if I wanna do it. I wonder if these folk are just trying to secure themselves a Christmas clean with no intention to pay for it, though I also worry I’m just being paranoid, neither are long jobs and I’m doing the neighbours anyway. ?

Sorry this is rambling, just needed to get it wrote down. Any opinions welcome, lol!

First guy not until he's paid. Second one yes as they have. This would depend if they're first time or regular pita's. If regular then no.
I decided to clean it since I was next door and technically they had paid before I was back. Only their third clean this so recon sets it up for the future unfortunately. I think I’ll use the break to set up a GoC account and use it for these folk. I just need to gently word a message explaining it’s GoC or bust, lol!

Easiest way is to explain that as you're getting busier you have found that chasing up payments is taking up to much time. GC is the way to save you time, "hopefully you'll understand and sign up so I can continue cleaning your windows." 

Easiest way is to explain that as you're getting busier you have found that chasing up payments is taking up to much time. GC is the way to save you time, "hopefully you'll understand and sign up so I can continue cleaning your windows." 

Lol that’s unlike you to be so diplomatic ????. Just be aware of the price increases with gc lots of people are cancelling due to there price increases 

Lol that’s unlike you to be so diplomatic ????. Just be aware of the price increases with gc lots of people are cancelling due to there price increases 
I don't use GC and only have around 80 residential jobs that always pay within a day of a reminder and only around 8 need reminding. Most have seen me and probably don't fancy me knocking on their door chasing them for money ?

I like this, will use something along these lines. I’ll need to have a proper look into it the coming weeks. 

I had seen that but are they that major? It was always my concern to begin with but you can switch DD provider. Not sure how easy it is but can be done. I don’t plan on using it exclusively, just for the forgetful lot. 

I like this, will use something along these lines. I’ll need to have a proper look into it the coming weeks. 

I had seen that but are they that major? It was always my concern to begin with but you can switch DD provider. Not sure how easy it is but can be done. I don’t plan on using it exclusively, just for the forgetful lot. 

Ime a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to technology, but was considering offering gc as an option but with there price increases have decided against doing so I don’t want my buisness reliant on some 3 rd party and being held to ransom by them this is why I won’t go over to the software companies for round planning, , I know quite a number of cleaners now looking to switch to other companies but Ime guessing they will all follow suite with price hikes ,so Ime sticking with cheques,cash and BACS 

I get messed about allot. Fortunately most a great, but the few who sting you can make you more dubious of new clients. Its the old 'once bitten twice shy'.

Best approach, come up with a clean and fair policy for new customers. Then follow it to the letter. Dont over think it. Just provide the service, and if you get bitten, the policies are there to stop service.

Have what you expect from the customer clearly outlined, that way they know the deal before hand.

Ime a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to technology, but was considering offering gc as an option but with there price increases have decided against doing so I don’t want my buisness reliant on some 3 rd party and being held to ransom by them this is why I won’t go over to the software companies for round planning, , I know quite a number of cleaners now looking to switch to other companies but Ime guessing they will all follow suite with price hikes ,so Ime sticking with cheques,cash and BACS 
I agree in principle but I would argue round software is a lot safer. These companies know we can easily go back to pen and paper if required. Yes it’s a hassle for us and a right pain to move software or back to spreadsheets, but doesn’t effect the customers, or not to any large degree. If you keep your own backup of customers (easily enough with Squeegee, they provide a handy file you can download which I recommend doing on a regular basis) then I don’t see any issues using round software. They’re control is more limited in my opinion. 

Payment providers are different and what has happened is the very reasons I didn’t go down the GC route when I started despite the advice I was getting. They know they control your cash flow and know that a price hike like the one they’ve done, although painful, probably won’t put a lot of customers (business) off as they it is a right pain to change provider or change the way your customers pay, something that does effect the customer directly. 

So I both agree and disagree, @Pjj Unfortunately they’re is not a option for that in the reactions! ?

I get messed about allot. Fortunately most a great, but the few who sting you can make you more dubious of new clients. Its the old 'once bitten twice shy'.
See and this is the thing, ‘most are great’. When you look at the overall picture (something Squeegee makes handy with the ‘financials’ section. Ok I’ll stop!) you see it’s only a tiny percentage that cause issues. The problem is you focus on them. So, for instance:

Mrs Smith loves getting her windows cleaned. She always pays on time, often she pays before you’ve even messaged her as she’s seen her lovely clean windows! You mark her down as paid and that’s that. You don’t think about Mrs Smith again until your cleaning her windows. 

Mr Evans, doesn’t just require a reminder, he requires several. In fact, this time you’ve had to call him. He hasn’t picked up the first two times. Eventually you get through and he replies with some nonsense about being on business on Mars & no reception & his dog died & his toaster blew up. But, he pays. 

Know, who is on your mind most of the time? It’s Mr Evans. And the ten others you currently have like him. You don’t think about Mrs Smith. You’ve long forgotten about her and the 190 others just like her, or not far off. No you focus on Mr Evans & Co. This is the problem, we focus on the bad payers. So any newbies reading this, don’t fall into my trap of viewing them as the norm. They are the exception. Focus on Mrs Smith & Co. 

I think price rises were inevitable with GC over the last 5 years or so they had over $30 million of investment into the company, to get it were it is today, so no doubt investors would want a return on their investment,  they currently process over £10 billion per annum so that 20p increase on transactions will increase their revenue massively, they are also very security conscience, unlike the banks which are well known to be lax with security. 

I will end up paying £60 on top of what I what I pay now, for me as a sole trader it's nothing in the grand scheme of things as it ensures my money is in the bank 5 working days after I have completed a days work, I simply forget about checking my debts for 300 jobs as I know it's all coming in hassle free

Best approach, come up with a clean and fair policy for new customers. Then follow it to the letter. Dont over think it. Just provide the service, and if you get bitten, the policies are there to stop service.

Have what you expect from the customer clearly outlined, that way they know the deal before hand.
"Have what you expect from the customer clearly outlined" and "come up with a clean and fair policy". For commercial, fully understand. But if a prospective window cleaner knocked my door  and tried to get me on board as a customer, then tried to get me to sign a "contract" I would say" jog on mate".

We are there to clean their windows...and they can cease with us whenever they wish.Do not over complicate things for sake of having more paperwork which is worthless. If they are poor payers bin them, They always forget to leave side gate open bin them.Simple.

i just see it as "money in the bank" when it comes to late payers...they all pay up eventually...luckily its only a few customer here and there,debt is just part and parcel of running a business....ive actually got more payments in this year than ive earned and im still owed £500+.....?......

"Have what you expect from the customer clearly outlined" and "come up with a clean and fair policy". For commercial, fully understand. But if a prospective window cleaner knocked my door  and tried to get me on board as a customer, then tried to get me to sign a "contract" I would say" jog on mate".

We are there to clean their windows...and they can cease with us whenever they wish.Do not over complicate things for sake of having more paperwork which is worthless. If they are poor payers bin them, They always forget to leave side gate open bin them.Simple.

I agree with this. Remember that the customers don't place as much importance on their windows being cleaned, as we do. It's our business, so we place the utmost importance on it. They don't. 

Like you say, if they want to sack us off at any time, it's their decision.

I don't use any kind of contract. But I have a new customer brochure, which discuss access etc. And my customer invoices state my accounts policy, payment methods and so forth.

So my customers know my policies from the get go.  For instance after two outstanding bills, I put there account on hold until they settle those invoices.

20191220_113616.jpg

20191220_113623.jpg

20191220_113634.jpg

I don't use any kind of contract. But I have a new customer brochure, which discuss access etc. And my customer invoices state my accounts policy, payment methods and so forth.

So my customers know my policies from the get go.  For instance after two outstanding bills, I put there account on hold until they settle those invoices.

View attachment 18695

View attachment 18696

View attachment 18697

I really like that leaflet that you have, looks very professional ?

A couple of spelling mistakes in there but it looks nice and informative for the customer.

I really like that leaflet that you have, looks very professional ?

A couple of spelling mistakes in there but it looks nice and informative for the customer.
 You got good eyesight, I cant spot the mistakes, but on this screen some of the leaflet looks blurry.

Back