Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Go carefull on the ladders guys

Dave B

Staff member
Just had a fall off a ladder from gutter height.

Went upside down and foot caught in rung briefly which is what saved me.

Broken 2 fingers and got bruises all over.this is where I hit the plant pot with my head upside down.

Just go carefull guys.

IMG-20191219-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20191219-WA0002.jpeg

Wow! & Ouch! I'm very happy to hear you're not crippled, mate. That's some height to fall from a ladder!!

I fell from one in 97 and landed on my head, and body weight came crashing down on my ribs as my body folded over. Mega pain like I've never felt before...Damn, I was so lucky. And so are you my friend!!

I only go up a ladder to come off it now. If I need the access to a flat roof etc.

Enjoy yer xmas and hope it heals quick for you.

Sounds like you have had a lucky escape hopefully no serious injuries, this is why we rarely use ladders , even when working safely accidents can happen , if you are in any doubt go and get checked out at a&e  sometimes you can have an injury and not be aware of it , we go out to a lot of falls from height and always recommend getting looked at at hospital just in case . 

@Dave B bloody hell mate, so so lucky it could have been far worse, I hope things are going to be ok work wise as well as health wise 
I'm fine thanks mate.

Couple of broken fingers and some cuts n bruises but will be at work tomorrow. 

Fell from here upside down lol.

Was clearing the gutter and gulley in the corner from my ladder.

Not over angled either.

Screenshot_20191219-171818_Maps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He his alright he landed on his head ? Just go's to show how easy it can be to fall Dave is one of the very experienced ladder user with years of ladder work under his belt. 

Just had a fall off a ladder from gutter height.

Went upside down and foot caught in rung briefly which is what saved me.

Broken 2 fingers and got bruises all over.this is where I hit the plant pot with my head upside down.

Just go carefull guys.

View attachment 18687

View attachment 18688
God mate im sorry to hear that what a shock it must have been. You’ve come off lightly and will live to fight another day but this is awful news. Wish you a quick recovery. Big love man x

Wow, sounds like you just dodged a bullet.  

This is what I say when I'm quoting for new jobs when they ask why I don't use ladders.  I say to them that say I've got 100 customers per week, going up and down the ladder, over say 20 years, think how many times I'd be going up that ladder over 20 years?  Then think that I only need to make 1 mistake at height and it would be game over.  Just not worth the risk.

That plant pot might have just cushioned the blow enough to save you.  I'd ditch the ladders, not worth it.  Get checked up then have a few whiskeys.  You might have damaged your head without realising. 

Hi glad that you are ok just to ask do u work on your own or with someone else. Always good to have someone around just in case  glad you are still able to work.

Hi glad that you are ok just to ask do u work on your own or with someone else. Always good to have someone around just in case  glad you are still able to work.
Both..depends if my mate is helping me.

Wow, sounds like you just dodged a bullet.  

This is what I say when I'm quoting for new jobs when they ask why I don't use ladders.  I say to them that say I've got 100 customers per week, going up and down the ladder, over say 20 years, think how many times I'd be going up that ladder over 20 years?  Then think that I only need to make 1 mistake at height and it would be game over.  Just not worth the risk.

That plant pot might have just cushioned the blow enough to save you.  I'd ditch the ladders, not worth it.  Get checked up then have a few whiskeys.  You might have damaged your head without realising. 
Not anything in there to damage lol.

Reminds me, finished a job yesterday, wearing shorts as per usual, I was putting my gear back in the van on the drive and bloody banged my shin on the towbar, the pain took ages to subside, I was rolling about on the edge of my van must have been at least 3 minutes, I couldn't put any weight on it, very painful but I knew I was behind time so just wanted to get packed up and sit in the van.  So in pain I was hopping about trying to get the equipment back in, then the worst happens, I only go and bang the other one   :1f635:       :1f602:   It's dangerous this window cleaning    :1f602:

I was putting my gear back in the van on the drive and bloody banged my shin on the towbar, the pain took ages to subside, I was rolling about on the edge of my van must have been at least 3 minutes,

That's the very reason mine has pipe insulation wrapped round it with gaffa tape holding it in place. On Monday morning I shot out my back door and didn't realise how icey it was till I ended up on all fours on the pavement. Black ice everywhere and I was lucky that I didn't break my elbow. Just lay there in shock till I realised what had happened so I understand your sudden shock all too well Dave.

wow mate, think of it that plant pot probably saved you from death or serious injury, I've learnt now as you know i'm recovering from a ladder mishap, its really not worth it with the ladders anymore, I think its only when it happens to yourself then you think its just not worth it, that £100 job could have left your wife a widow, its harsh I know but that's the truth and i'm sure you've been rollocked already by the better half, look after yourself and keep sipping the gin.

i gave up gutter clearing years ago now...i always hated doing the job anyway.....i stick to nice easy wfp work from the ground these days.....ive fell off ladders twice from 1st floor height......i was very lucky.......i know guys that have shattered heels and damaged vertabrae in their backs from landing on their heels.....?...i was fine but it shook me up both times...... 

Definitely working tomorrow.. must be mental.

Injuries list is 2 broken fingers strapped together (well 1 for definite but feels like the other one may be also)

Bashed up and lumpy leg.

Bruised forearms.

Sore shoulder.

Sore wrist and bruises on lower back.

Apart from that I'm perfectly fine??

That poor plant pot!!

Na man, really glad to hear you’re ok overall. Reading Stories like these always give me butterflies in my stomach. I have one 8 weekly job where I have to climb a roof which is higher than the average extension roof so have to use my ‘big ladder’. The rest is up on my little fold up 10 foot ladder.
Funny enough I used to be a roofing labourer, but in the last couple of years I’m a little nervous going up high ladders now. Think a little bit of fear keeps you safe though. What do you think caused the fall/slip @Dave B

Latest Posts

Back