Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can I fit a 1000l tank in my van?

Hi guys,

I’m just wondering if anyone knows if I’ll be able to fit a 1000l tank in my transit connect high top van? 

And would I be able to carry that much weight? 

At the moment I’m working from a 500l tank, but it’s not enough for 2 people to work a full day.

As my business grows, I’d like to have someone working with me full time. 

Many thanks, Luke. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I very much doubt it the tank a loan full will weigh over 1000 kg or one tonn then you have fuel, two people , hoses poles ,etc  

I'm going to take a wild guess at NO! But the best thing to do is check the payload which will be on a matal plate somewhere in the vehicle. That's a lot of weight.

I'd buy a van more capable of handling 1200 -1400 kilos. ( tank + people and gear) .. trans connects max is 930 payload.. would even risk it.

I have a transit connect and a 600ltr tank.. perfect 

You would need a minimum payload of 1400kgs. 1100kgs is your water, tank and frame. You then need circa 200kgs for 2 people and fuel, you then have 2 hose reels, poles, trade gear etc. Only medium sized van that carrys that is the new Dispatch etc. You might need o look at the 3500 large Van's and even some of them won't, legally, carry 1000l tanks

Unless you’ve got big commercials all day long or whole estates where you don’t move the van surely you’d be better just to put another van on the road. Much more productive and will easily pay for itself with one in each van

Begin at the furthest point at the start of the day and work back towards home where you can refill at lunch time. Then back out starting at the closest house and working out to the furthest in the afternoon. Repeat the next day.

Thank you all for the messages, looks like I’ll have to get a bigger van. My plan is to have someone working with me, canvassing and cleaning. And then have another van, once I get enough work. ?

Many thanks, Luke. 

Hi guys,

I’m just wondering if anyone knows if I’ll be able to fit a 1000l tank in my transit connect high top van? 

At the moment I’m working from a 500l tank, but it’s not enough for 2 people to work a full day.

Many thanks, Luke. 

A litre of water weighs 1kg.

Then there is the weight of the tank, frame, auxiliary battery, hose reels, poles, ladders, roof rack, towbar, diesel in the tank and operators (staff. Some manufacturers allow 50kgs for the driver but that's not a given.)

We also have to be careful where we put that weight inside the van. If we put a 1000 litre tank (for example) too close to the front, we could overload the front axle even if we are within the payload of the van.

I have a Peugeot Boxer SWB 333. It has a payload of 1450kgs (I forget the exact figure.) I can't fit a 650 litre tank up against the bulkhead because I will over load the front axle if I do. But I can sit the tank squarely over the rear axle because it will carry 1200 kgs before we overload it.

I have to consider my fuel as well. The diesel tank is under the cabin seats and that carries 104 litres of diesel when full.That's the weight of a third person. (Water is heavier than diesel.)

One hosereel weights 26kgs I just got told yesterday. Tank and frame must be around 50kgs. So two reels, tank and frame is around 100kgs. Tank of fuel could be another 80kgs plus a driver makes 160kgs so your up to 260kgs before you start.

I wouldn't be comfy carrying 1000 litres of water with anything under 1400kg payload. When my 700 tank is full the van with a load of 1200kg plus is noticeably lower on its suspension 

If your transit is a 330 or 340 that can be upgraded to 3500 tonne regs by sv tech Leyland preston. Just a £300 paper exercise. 3500 tonne is max size of van u can drive on normal license including pre 1997

Pretty sure a 330 can go to 1500kgs payload. 

Or buy a fiat ducato 35. Citroen relay 35

Or Peugeot boxer 35. 

Low roof is fine. I run a fiat ducato low roof mwb 5400mm long same as lwb transit. Payload is 1640 kg. I have a full ro di 1000l tank plus gear

Bit wider than a connect too. Tbh it's perfect. Only slight downfall is I'm 6ft 4 and use a 2 step step ladder to strap and un strap ladders. So if u use ladders a lot it's a pain.  

20191125_102551.jpg

Wouldn't want a 1000 litres of water in any van tbh.......must burn through tyres and brakes and suspension must take some stick....bet it's fun cornering at speed.

Wouldn't want a 1000 litres of water in any van tbh.......must burn through tyres and brakes and suspension must take some stick....bet it's fun cornering at speed.

With the right van designed to carry that weight it’s fine no different than a van that’s designed to carry 650  , it handles well no problems .

If your transit is a 330 or 340 that can be upgraded to 3500 tonne regs by sv tech Leyland preston. Just a £300 paper exercise. 3500 tonne is max size of van u can drive on normal license including pre 1997

Or Peugeot boxer 35. 

Low roof is fine. I run a fiat ducato low roof mwb 5400mm long same as lwb transit. Payload is 1640 kg. I have a full ro di 1000l tank plus gear

Bit wider than a connect too. Tbh it's perfect. Only slight downfall is I'm 6ft 4 and use a 2 step step ladder to strap and un strap ladders. So if u use ladders a lot it's a pain.  

View attachment 18718

Or Peugeot boxer 35. 

View attachment 18718

I would have thought that tank should be over the back axle? Looks like its nearer the front axle and probably overweight if full of water.

Hi guys,

Many thanks, Luke. 

I was using 1.4mm jets on my new brush today and didn't notice much diffence at one litre a minute. I think everyone should change when doing maintenance cleans because it saves you a ton of pure. That would be my first step before I decided to change my tank. ?

They tend to fit near bulkhead side ways but I wanted space down each side for gear. So its fitted long ways. I checked with sv tech on its position and they fine. Van can carry 1640 kgs. Tbh it's only full overnight on drive and then as day goes on it gets lighter. Suspension doesn't even alter even when my 95kgs gets in back. 

I only work max 5 miles from house and most is under 3 miles. I drive like a pussy too. Van's ain't for ragging

They tend to fit near bulkhead side ways but I wanted space down each side for gear. So its fitted long ways. I checked with sv tech on its position and they fine. Van can carry 1640 kgs. Tbh it's only full overnight on drive and then as day goes on it gets lighter. Suspension doesn't even alter even when my 95kgs gets in back. 

I only work max 5 miles from house and most is under 3 miles. I drive like a pussy too. Van's ain't for ragging

Thats a good load capacity, think I'm lucky if I can carry 1300kg with the mwb Crafter. Think you need a high roof so you can jump in and out without bumping your head, that's the only reason I bought a high roof van.

Back