Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WFP - I am giving it a go

laddergarder

I have decided next year I am going to change to WFP as much as humanly possible and let the chips fall were they may.

I have bought an 18ft carbon fibre and backpack to get started. I used to own a 30ft impressor but only used it for akward jobs or windows. I think this was my main mistake. I never really bought in to it, so wasn't ready to sell it to my customers. 

I have made a letter for the time being to print off, but I have a flyer on order which should come Jan.

So far I have used it for a few days. First cleans are taking me a while. I can see how it will be faster next time round. But I am spending allot of time giving the frames a good clean to start off. 

For you guys who went from trad to WFP, how did you find it doing so many first cleans that first month?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have plenty of brushes. I only had one and used it for a pvc clean and then went and cleaned plenty of windows and streaked them all. What a nightmare I had and had to trad them all over again. I now have 5 brushes and 3 poles. You might get a bit of hassle from your customers but they should come round to the idea. My neighbour was down at his sons in Oxford and his windy has just changed to wfp and he is not happy about it. He has wooden windows and pure ends up sucking all the sap out of them. I think he will want him to go back to trad or they will part company.

Make sure you have plenty of brushes. I only had one and used it for a pvc clean and then went and cleaned plenty of windows and streaked them all. What a nightmare I had and had to trad them all over again. I now have 5 brushes and 3 poles. You might get a bit of hassle from your customers but they should come round to the idea. My neighbour was down at his sons in Oxford and his windy has just changed to wfp and he is not happy about it. He has wooden windows and pure ends up sucking all the sap out of them. I think he will want him to go back to trad or they will part company.

Or just rinse your brush

I only use the one brush, havent had any problems at all. Ive done facias/soffits/gutters and then gone to window frames and glass last and the result was fine. Having said that scottish, I haven't used any special solution for the fsg. Just scrubbed away with tap water flowing out. If it was a minging/covered in moss and algy I probably would have to use ubik or whatever, but these haven't been that bad and ive found them easy just water.

But yes, I will get round to getting a tougher bristled type brush for fsg/conny roofs etc, but cant say ive had any problem as yet.

I only use the one brush, havent had any problems at all. Ive done facias/soffits/gutters and then gone to window frames and glass last and the result was fine. Having said that scottish, I haven't used any special solution for the fsg. Just scrubbed away with tap water flowing out. If it was a minging/covered in moss and algy I probably would have to use ubik or whatever, but these haven't been that bad and ive found them easy just water.

But yes, I will get round to getting a tougher bristled type brush for fsg/conny roofs etc, but cant say ive had any problem as yet.

I do the same as you but with Viro-sol and never had an issue....

I have decided next year I am going to change to WFP as much as humanly possible and let the chips fall were they may.

I have bought an 18ft carbon fibre and backpack to get started. I used to own a 30ft impressor but only used it for akward jobs or windows. I think this was my main mistake. I never really bought in to it, so wasn't ready to sell it to my customers. 

I have made a letter for the time being to print off, but I have a flyer on order which should come Jan.

So far I have used it for a few days. First cleans are taking me a while. I can see how it will be faster next time round. But I am spending allot of time giving the frames a good clean to start off. 

For you guys who went from trad to WFP, how did you find it doing so many first cleans that first month?
 If your not plodding, and go at a fair pace, you'll be doing 2/3 bd semis in 15 minutes. Frames shouldnt be too bad unless you never cleaned them before. Take a while to get with all the foibles of wfp but in the end you wont regret it.

When I first changed over, I would say it took me about 6 months to fully get into the swing of things. Honestly, at first I wasn't too keen on it. Every single customer I treated as a first clean and it was taking me ages and I was obviously using a LOT of pure water. However...and that is a BIG however...once all my customers had been done a few times I got faster and faster, technique gets better and better and you begin to realise what you can and can't get away with without compromising the quality.

If you can, and have the opportunity, go back and check your work once you know it'll be dry. I learned quite a bit from doing this and I learnt which windows were giving me hassle so I knew to take a little longer on those ones. You're doing the right thing giving the frames a good clean. Treat all customers like a first clean and you should be golden after that when returning.

I personally didn't bother with the whole explanation letter thing. I did write and print one out for every customer but just ending up rocking up and cleaning them all WFP and then talking to them and explaining in person. I did lose quite a few customers but every one I lost got replaced so don't worry if the same happens to you. 

One brush will be fine (assuming you can reach your round with an 18?). Infact I used my brush for upvc cleans too when starting but as long as you clean the brush head thoroughly it wont cause issue on windows

I converted to WFP last autumn. From trad. So be prepared to work longer days and more days if you convert it on the one run. I reckon I was doing half what I am now (max) daily targets when first went wfp. This was due to flushing vents thoroughly on first cleans. 

Also you'll use a lot more water to start with so factor that in. 

@Suhrly thats basically what I have done. Cleaned them, breifly explained it, then gave them my letter, or posted it if they were not in.

Most reactions have been fine, so far. I have had one who said her firends window cleaner uses them and her windows are left a mess. After chatting with her for a minute, she seemed happy to see how it goes.

Most have honestly been quite happy, especially when I say 'the glass, frames and sills get cleaned as well as your pvc doors".

I changed from trad to wfp initially I thought I had made a huge mistake 4 days trad Cleaning was taking 6 days wfp , but after I had  done the full 4 week cycle and got them all up to speed the time difference was half and I was doing a far better job , some of the learning curve is where to Park ,the best route around the 

property  with the hose , the correct technique for the type of window being cleaned all this takes time to learn , you will get there just take your time with first cleans this will pay dividends and save huge amounts of time on the next visit . 

If I can offer a bit of advice, when you finish a job take a quick look around the windows before you move on, that way if there are any issues you should spot them. Some uPVC windows have a nasty habit of trickling from the top rubbers as soon as you turn your back on them and this can leave a track mark when they dry. This happens more in cold weather.

Good luck, I'm sure in a few weeks you will be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

@Chris33 I have been extra careful with the vents and gave them a really good scrub and rinse. Most of my jobs are glass only, so I can see it being a slow month at first, but I am ready to stick with it.
Good stuff. I read what you wrote about starting to clean frames trad more as you plan to go Wfp? Dont slow yourself down now too much with that idea. It won't make much difference to be honest, they will get blitzd when wfp anyway and the time difference is negligible 

But defo do scrub any heavily soiled sills now that need it, that will make wfp transfer easier for things you cant see. 

If I can offer a bit of advice, when you finish a job take a quick look around the windows before you move on, that way if there are any issues you should spot them. Some uPVC windows have a nasty habit of trickling from the top rubbers as soon as you turn your back on them and this can leave a track mark when they dry. This happens more in cold weather.

Good luck, I'm sure in a few weeks you will be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.
Agree. Why it's also vital to scrub the rubber though 

Good luck with the change, I’m changing myself next year. My day is 8:30 til 3pm, when I change over the first month I’m going to try starting at 8 & finishing at 4 to help compensate for loss of earnings. How much longer on average would u say each house is taking you for the first clean out of interest?

I would recommend you divide your round into sections and change over one section at a time.

If you have 4 sections then clean the first wfp and carry on with 2, 3 & 4 trad. Second time round clean section 1 wfp and start section 2 wfp but clean 3 & 4 trad and so on until the whole round is wfp.

This will break up the change over and still keep your earnings 'acceptable.'

Good luck with the change, I’m changing myself next year. My day is 8:30 til 3pm, when I change over the first month I’m going to try starting at 8 & finishing at 4 to help compensate for loss of earnings. How much longer on average would u say each house is taking you for the first clean out of interest?

Its a little more than normal compared to trad. Maybe 5 or 10 mins more per job. 

To be honest I have only used it 2 days, and the condition of the frames has been varied so some are longer than others.

My last two jobs took 45 mins each. Maybe 5 or 10 mins more than normal(trad), but the windows looked so much better with the whites being scrubbed. 

I would recommend you divide your round into sections and change over one section at a time.

If you have 4 sections then clean the first wfp and carry on with 2, 3 & 4 trad. Second time round clean section 1 wfp and start section 2 wfp but clean 3 & 4 trad and so on until the whole round is wfp.

This will break up the change over and still keep your earnings 'acceptable.'
I am going to kind of do this. 

At first I want to change over customers with good parking and access. Which I can get through to the back ok with my trolley/backpack.

My 18ft will do almost all my jobs, which are normally done with 20ft ladders. But there will be a few I will need a 22' for. 

If there is allot of stairs etc, I will leave those until I fit a van mount, and can run a hose.

Oliver was up from Cambridge and had a look at my RO system. I felt a fool as I had plugged in the feed and return the wrong way round, no wonder my tank wasn't filling as it should. Back to making 002ppm before it enters the DI. ?

I am going to kind of do this. 

At first I want to change over customers with good parking and access. Which I can get through to the back ok with my trolley/backpack.

My 18ft will do almost all my jobs, which are normally done with 20ft ladders. But there will be a few I will need a 22' for. 

If there is allot of stairs etc, I will leave those until I fit a van mount, and can run a hose.

I did our whole round plus a new one we had purchased all in one go. I had never done wfp before either, so it was exhausting and a massive learning curve. Back then it also wasn't an accepted way of cleaning windows and we had to explain the process at each door.

Another windie was the first to go wfp about 16 years ago but he ended up being rather hesitant about doing it because it was a new technology. We basically grew into wfp together. In those early days I didn't have enough work once the conversion was done so took on a batch of his work to convert. 

Doing this basically covered my costs but gave me plenty of experience which stood me in good stead.

We have it good these days with carbon fibre poles, minibore/microbore hose and electronic flow controllers. We had Teleplus ali poles, brushes that weighed two and a half times the weight of an Ultimate brush, 1/2" garden hose and no controllers.

Its a little more than normal compared to trad. Maybe 5 or 10 mins more per job
That's some going, I typically expect a first clean to take me twice as long sometimes more, a normal 15 minute job has taken me anywhere from 30 minutes up to an hour depending on how bad they are. 

I have 2 brushes that I always carry in my van a DuPont Ultimate &  a Dupont Supreme I don't see a need for more than 2 brushes the ultimate is a good first brush lightweight and robust enough as an everyday brush, the supreme is good for deep pvc sills and leaded windows, I have also done the odd f.s.g clean with them using Ubik-2000 which I also use on first cleans never had an issue with contamination. 

Back