Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window stains - hard water possibly

Cherry

Hey 

so I’m just looking for some advice on what these type of stains are, and how to remove them?

I read somewhere using over cleaner and a blade is the best way to tackle this.

any support or thoughts would be really appreciated.

see photos attached 

2B0B68DE-D3CD-46F2-9C06-2563644F3721.jpeg

F60FA6F6-6366-4D77-980B-71A877A663D6.jpeg

CD07BB9F-C767-4253-8734-E67358C6DB63.jpeg

1A32419C-246C-4E21-82C0-09B7B8977B22.jpeg

026FE7A1-D651-47E8-B8F1-F7CB5DA8F3D5.jpeg

0226B8C1-231F-4563-ABF4-7F729F606CA3.jpeg

As @Chris33 says...... are you sure it's not between the panes? If not, and it is on the outside of the glass then the best way to remove is using Unger rub out and bronze wire wool. If this doesn't shift it then forget it! There is always a risk of scratching the glass using a blade and I'm not sure about using oven cleaner either. Investing in the Unger rubout and the bronze wool is worth every penny. I bought the bronze wool pads for £20 and the rub out will cost around the £15 mark; not cheap but you only use a very small amount and I'm still using the same wool pad after using it on a few jobs (it came in a pack of ten). I ordered them off amazon but it did take a fee weeks to arrive, the Unger rubout was purchased from WCW and arrived the next day!

Hope that helps. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips.

For the large top windows in my photos, i don’t believe it’s between the glass. 

Additionally it’s a single plane of glass. So I’m not sure how this could happen?

I will check out the products. I read that winsol crystal clear 550 is a good product. Any thoughts?

how much would you guys charge for a job like this?

Best advice would be to get on fb and ask for recommendations for a local window cleaner and go from there, if he is worth his salt he will give you good clear advice and be honest. He will get it off if anyone can. 

Doesn’t look like hard water Staines to me , has the place been covered with Thompson’s water seal by any chance ? I had a property that looked similar years ago .

I can’t say for sure.

Could this be lead stains?

Possibly from an over flowing gutter at some point. The building is part of an 1850ish block of flats in Scotland. 

thanks for the responses.

I can’t say for sure.

Could this be lead stains?

Possibly from an over flowing gutter at some point. The building is part of an 1850ish block of flats in Scotland. 

thanks for the responses.
Could be lead staining. You would usually expect a rainbow effect off this though (from examples I have seen), as the composition reflects in light 

Try some vinegar and a bronze wool pad if you can get one. Something non abrasive to the glass like that. An acidic mix and a non scratchy pad basically 

Wynsol Crystal Clear 550 is magic stuff, last year we cleaned up a car wash that hadn't been cleaned for years, the build up was epic but it came up a treat. Sadly I forgot to take photos.

Back