Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Limits of a Gardiner back pack?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ana

This has likely been asked before but I've not found an answer. I just brought a new Gardiner backpack, so I can retire the preowned one that has served me so well (it still works fine but if it dies all of a sudden I'm stuck for days). I use the backpacks with a hose reel, leaving it 8/10 times in the van, in essence making it a van based system that can also double up as a trolley with a sack truck.

The hose reel I use is around 60 metres in length (8mm microbore) and the pump in the pack doesn't buckle under the strain. This has got me wondering if there is ultimate length the backpack can handle, as I'd like to grab some new hose at some point next year, possibly upgrading to a longer, single length towards 100m.

Could a backpack handle 100m of hose or not? Does it have a finite length it can cope with? 

Poor back pack pump, its only small.

We use Shurflo pumps to pump water through 100m of hose.

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/forums/topic/30740-wfp-for-other-uses-too/?tab=comments#comment-428977

@Tango posted.

Gardiner say the max hose length to be used with their backpack is 20m. I've read one or two members say they've used longer with no problems but keep in mind you'd void your 6 month warranty if you exceed 20m. That said, the pumps are around £30 so not overly expensive to replace if you're managing to rake it in. I use a 27ft pole and it pumps the water to the top of that with no hassle. Probably a good idea to keep a 2nd backpack handy though if you don't want the spare pump and downtime of replacing it in a hurry - that way you can swap over mid-job and replace the pump in your downtime at home.

On the Gardiner website, see the following under technical info on the backpack page;

1 year warranty on tank etc.

6 month warranty on pump and flow controller in standard WFP use

Pump not warrantied if used with extension hose longer than 20m (not including pole hose length)

3 month warranty on battery

Recommended battery care: fully charge at least once a month

Backpack pump 60psi

For H&S reasons we do not recommend working a full day with a backpack on your back. Rest frequently and schedule changes in work routine during the day.

For H&S reasons we do not recommend carrying these on your back if you have any history of back injury or damage. A trolley can be used to carry them instead

Last edited by a moderator:
I went down @Den's route of using a worzone air reel for the extra 10m of hose. I strap it to the back pack handle rather than bolt it to the trolley (I still need it to fold lol).

In engineering it's common to design something to double the standard it needs to be - or halve the maximum limit the item is really capable of. Lift cables for instance - the light might say it can take 400Kg max.. but the cable will be designed to take double that plus the load of the lift itself.

I have a hunch Alex has probably designed the back packs to use longer lengths of hose but only warrantied 20m to ensure that most won't go silly with it and then slate his product. So many people say his BPs are excellent and indestructible - makes sense really if you design it to handle tougher requirements but then on paper have a lower working capability.

Poor back pack pump, its only small.

We use Shurflo pumps to pump water through 100m of hose.

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/forums/topic/30740-wfp-for-other-uses-too/?tab=comments#comment-428977

@Tango posted.

Gardiner say the max hose length to be used with their backpack is 20m. I've read one or two members say they've used longer with no problems but keep in mind you'd void your 6 month warranty if you exceed 20m. That said, the pumps are around £30 so not overly expensive to replace if you're managing to rake it in. I use a 27ft pole and it pumps the water to the top of that with no hassle. Probably a good idea to keep a 2nd backpack handy though if you don't want the spare pump and downtime of replacing it in a hurry - that way you can swap over mid-job and replace the pump in your downtime at home.

On the Gardiner website, see the following under technical info on the backpack page;

1 year warranty on tank etc.

6 month warranty on pump and flow controller in standard WFP use

Pump not warrantied if used with extension hose longer than 20m (not including pole hose length)

3 month warranty on battery

Recommended battery care: fully charge at least once a month

Backpack pump 60psi

For H&S reasons we do not recommend working a full day with a backpack on your back. Rest frequently and schedule changes in work routine during the day.

For H&S reasons we do not recommend carrying these on your back if you have any history of back injury or damage. A trolley can be used to carry them instead
When my pump gave up after running tons of hypo through it regularly and not rinsing it out much I got a different chinese pump off amazon for 20 odd quid.

5lpm and 100psi and not missed a beat.

Backpack works fine and I think uses less battery as the pump is running nowhere near the speed I had to run it with the old one.

If your going to use 100meters of hose just buy a 100psi shurflo pump and controller  and a good battery unless u always want to be breaking down with your backpack mounted van setup

I went down @Den's route of using a worzone air reel for the extra 10m of hose. I strap it to the back pack handle rather than bolt it to the trolley (I still need it to fold lol).

In engineering it's common to design something to double the standard it needs to be - or halve the maximum limit the item is really capable of. Lift cables for instance - the light might say it can take 400Kg max.. but the cable will be designed to take double that plus the load of the lift itself.

I have a hunch Alex has probably designed the back packs to use longer lengths of hose but only warrantied 20m to ensure that most won't go silly with it and then slate his product. So many people say his BPs are excellent and indestructible - makes sense really if you design it to handle tougher requirements but then on paper have a lower working capability.
Could you show us tango the air reel, I posted about this few months ago, an was told air reels are too flimsy? 

Could you show us tango the air reel, I posted about this few months ago, an was told air reels are too flimsy? 

To be fair I bought mine 2nd hand off ebay (sold as new and never used). Well the darn thing leaks lol - wasn't overly surprised what with it being ebay... i still don't know whether to open it up and investigate (risking the spring) or leave it as is...

Den has posted photos on here but google images has picked up a plentiful supply of his postings and photos:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB732GB732&q=Den+air+hose+reel+trolley+window+cleaning+forum&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXq6ruluDmAhUUiFwKHc1jBPUQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1366&bih=625#imgrc=_

Like i said i don't bolt mine onto the trolley as i need the trolley to remain foldable - I'm sure i could make some sort of bracket to go from the top of the trolley but i rarely seem to have enough time to do anything practical these days with a kid and missus to fit my life around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back