Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Public liability

Liam France

Hey guys, I'm taking on the public liability for my old man's company, he's says I have to get covered for 5 million to be able to do commercial work, so far the commercial work we have is a charity organisation for the homeless, so residential essentially and old people homes, no more than 3 floors, we are now converted wfp so use of ladders are now rare, any ideas peeps ?‍♂️

Just phone around 5 million for a sole trader should be in the region of £100-150 
Thank you for your reply ,

I have done that and have come up with cheaper quotes on comparison sites, just wondering if 5 million is the minimum requirement? It starts at 1mil, if I was cleaning the millennium dome I'd understand 5 mill ?‍♂️

Or is that standard for all commercial work undertaken 

All the commercial work  we do insist on 5 million , we do some large hotels , nursing homes and blocks of shelters accommodation flats. I haven’t Hurd of anyone wanting more than that but I guess in time as prices of everything increases they will require more . 1 million should be fine for domestic but the difference in price isn’t a lot more for 5 million cover 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ask your customers, if they're relatively small they probably won't even tell you how much and will accept £1m. I must have 30 commercial jobs and only one, a very large PM company, asked for £5m, majority don't even ask if I have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Local authority here ask for 5 million. Other commercials are more likely to ask for risk assessment and method statement than high public liability. This is cos the man asking the questions often doesnt have a full understanding of what's what.

Call a few brokers cos for me it was worth getting a high coverage and also coverage for other services other than just gutters. 

I'm under a ton for £5 million PLI with Aplan. I think I was under £80 for £1 million so its better going with the £5 million if you decide to quote for commercial work. I get mine checked each year with Checkatrade so they will verify any potential new customers.

I’ve never been asked how much it’s worth , I have it in place for 2million and do a fair bit of commercial and provide documents never had any issues .

I have 1 million public liability, and do primarily domestic, but if I were to go into commercial other than small shops etc would pump it up to 5 million for peace of mind.

More likely this year to get another policy out for the occasional odd jobs and lawn mowing that I am thinking of offering.

Hey guys, I'm taking on the public liability for my old man's company, he's says I have to get covered for 5 million to be able to do commercial work, so far the commercial work we have is a charity organisation for the homeless, so residential essentially and old people homes, no more than 3 floors, we are now converted wfp so use of ladders are now rare, any ideas peeps ?‍♂️
Just remember if you employ people you need to have employees insurance by law to. 

Latest Posts

Back