Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Quick way to treat roof for moss

Apacehman

Looking to start cleaning roofs but for a offer customers a cheaper solution/quote by using non harsh chemicals that allow moss to come off by it self.

Looking for some tools that allow me to spray some moss killer at using around a 24-30foot pole. I know there are water fed ones but do they mix with moss products?

Does such a thing exist?

Yes you can use wfp to apply biocides , the roof needs to be scraped first to remove the worst of it , then you can spray with bio or hypo products,but over time it will gradually come off the roof filling up the gutters all the time and encouraging growth in them so you solve one problem and create another , but yes it does work , takes up to 6-8 months to take full effect though .

Yes you can use wfp to apply biocides , the roof needs to be scraped first to remove the worst of it , then you can spray with bio or hypo products,but over time it will gradually come off the roof filling up the gutters all the time and encouraging growth in them so you solve one problem and create another , but yes it does work , takes up to 6-8 months to take full effect though .

THank you, would you recommend any basic one to begin with? That can be used to spray roofs?

Sorry I meant recommend any water fed poles?

Ah ok sorry Gardiners slx 27 would be ok fir bungalows and low houses 35-45 for higher houses unless you are planning on working from a scaffold tower then a 27 should do most jobs 

Ah ok sorry Gardiners slx 27 would be ok fir bungalows and low houses 35-45 for higher houses unless you are planning on working from a scaffold tower then a 27 should do most jobs 

Thank you! How would I attach my own moss solution to this? It comes with a hose adaptor only

Thank you! How would I attach my own moss solution to this? It comes with a hose adaptor only

Depends what hose you want to use most hose goes up inside the pole and is 6mm internal diameter have a look on Gardiner pole systems site look up pole hose and fittings Ime guessing you will see something familiar 

Rather than make another post @Pjj what are you using to scrape the moss? (I know there are Marshall scrapers but what are these attached to and basically whats the shopping list for this) Really think we will add this service this year but unsure how to go about it

Rather than make another post @Pjj what are you using to scrape the moss? (I know there are Marshall scrapers but what are these attached to and basically whats the shopping list for this) Really think we will add this service this year but unsure how to go about it
I have made my own moss scrapers from old facia board it’s very light ,doesn’t damage delicate surfaces like slate roofs , it’s very easy to cut to shape and cost nothing . I just put a quick lock fitting on it and attach it to an appropriate  wfp and away you go works really well , I have tried the metal scrapers and found them heavy and they damage delicate surfaces this doesn’t . 

1248FF95-7D8D-4238-A082-BB068E24BBE6.jpeg

29E7CC9C-D0A5-47B5-BACE-D59C667EDC5E.jpeg

I have made my own moss scrapers from old facia board it’s very light ,doesn’t damage delicate surfaces like slate roofs , it’s very easy to cut to shape and cost nothing . I just put a quick lock fitting on it and attach it to an appropriate  wfp and away you go works really well , I have tried the metal scrapers and found them heavy and they damage delicate surfaces this doesn’t . 

View attachment 19418

View attachment 19419
I had just seen this after my reply to you. Really good idea. What type of ladders did you invest in, cat ladders? Or all from gutter line with standard ladders? 

I had just seen this after my reply to you. Really good idea. What type of ladders did you invest in, cat ladders? Or all from gutter line with standard ladders? 
We either have the building scaffolded or use a scaffold tower , I wouldn’t want to do it off a ladder on the ground.  You could do it off a roof ladder ,but when employing it’s just not worth the hassle.

45 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I stumbled upon this video on utube regarding getting rid of moss on a tarmac driveway but it would work on a roof I guess.

Lol doesn’t want to put salt on it beacause if the impact on the environment/ water table but it’s ok to put 10 kg of bio washing powder on it !,,,,, totaly brain dead 

Sorry, I wasn’t doubting that, it was the fact that she didn’t want to use salt because it’s bad for the environment ?

Lol doesn’t want to put salt on it beacause if the impact on the environment/ water table but it’s ok to put 10 kg of bio washing powder on it !,,,,, totaly brain dead 
Aye, you would think salt comes from Mars and its worse than plutonium. I think they forget it comes from the sea and was used to cure things but she's the salt of the earth that woman. ?

Back