Grant1793

Gardiner CLX-27 Uni-valve is it essential?

Grant1793

Got myself a CLX-27 Gardiner pole along with the Gardiner backpack EZ male connections and female connections do I need a univalve is it essential? 

Part Timer
2 minutes ago, Grant1793 said:

Got myself a CLX-27 Gardiner pole along with the Gardiner backpack EZ male connections and female connections do I need a univalve is it essential? 

With a backpack I would always use a longer microbore and a univalve. Doing this will save you time, energy and water.

Grant1793
15 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

With a backpack I would always use a longer microbore and a univalve. Doing this will save you time, energy and water.

Thanks for the reply, what univalve is best suited for the specifications I stated? 

Thanks

Pjj

No a uni valve isn’t essential, but if you do get one I don’t think there is more than one variant of it .

Marko067
Posted (edited)

When using a trolley or backpack you need a means to shut off the water flow at the pole so as not to waste water. This can be done by folding the hose just below the pole, but only if you are using PU pole hose as the all season PVC pole hose will not stand up to all the folding. If the Univalve is affordable for you it is definitely recommended however. 

Edited by Marko067

scottish cleaning service

I usually buy 3 univalves for £75 plus vat at Exceed because they come in handy later on.

solarpanelcleaningltd

You’ll get annoyed with bending over and switching the pump off or or uncoupling etc.

Univalves are fun!!

Part Timer

Nipping the pipe means when you extend the pole you're  wasting water. When you're using backpack only water saving is crucial. If you have a 650l+ tank in the van it isn't.

Bwfc

Tap valve is lot cheaper and saves lot water at end of your pole

scottish cleaning service

I used to crush the hose before I fitted a univalve and nearly broke my neck by paying too much attention to the hand crushing the hose. As a damage limitation exercise, its well worth the £30 and they are easy to fit.

Marko067
51 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Nipping the pipe means when you extend the pole you're  wasting water. When you're using backpack only water saving is crucial. If you have a 650l+ tank in the van it isn't.

It can be done but you have to know where to pinch the hose before you start. You could mark the hose in some way or just be a good judge of length. For this reason I’d have to agree the Univalve is definitely a better option. I actually use both methods to help reduce wear and tear on the univalves. Often I only use the Univalve when I start a run. After that I just fold/pinch the hose. I’m still using the first two I bought when they first came out

Dave B
5 minutes ago, Marko067 said:

It can be done but you have to know where to pinch the hose before you start. You could mark the hose in some way or just be a good judge of length. For this reason I’d have to agree the Univalve is definitely a better option. I actually use both methods to help reduce wear and tear on the univalves. Often I only use the Univalve when I start a run. After that I just fold/pinch the hose. I’m still using the first two I bought when they first came out

2nd nature after a while.. I don't need to look to get the right amount of hose.