Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner CLX-27 Uni-valve is it essential?

Grant1793

Got myself a CLX-27 Gardiner pole along with the Gardiner backpack EZ male connections and female connections do I need a univalve is it essential? 

When using a trolley or backpack you need a means to shut off the water flow at the pole so as not to waste water. This can be done by folding the hose just below the pole, but only if you are using PU pole hose as the all season PVC pole hose will not stand up to all the folding. If the Univalve is affordable for you it is definitely recommended however. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You’ll get annoyed with bending over and switching the pump off or or uncoupling etc.

Univalves are fun!!

I used to crush the hose before I fitted a univalve and nearly broke my neck by paying too much attention to the hand crushing the hose. As a damage limitation exercise, its well worth the £30 and they are easy to fit.

Nipping the pipe means when you extend the pole you're  wasting water. When you're using backpack only water saving is crucial. If you have a 650l+ tank in the van it isn't.
It can be done but you have to know where to pinch the hose before you start. You could mark the hose in some way or just be a good judge of length. For this reason I’d have to agree the Univalve is definitely a better option. I actually use both methods to help reduce wear and tear on the univalves. Often I only use the Univalve when I start a run. After that I just fold/pinch the hose. I’m still using the first two I bought when they first came out

It can be done but you have to know where to pinch the hose before you start. You could mark the hose in some way or just be a good judge of length. For this reason I’d have to agree the Univalve is definitely a better option. I actually use both methods to help reduce wear and tear on the univalves. Often I only use the Univalve when I start a run. After that I just fold/pinch the hose. I’m still using the first two I bought when they first came out
2nd nature after a while.. I don't need to look to get the right amount of hose.

Back