Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

End of tenancy chancers

Dino

Happy new year folks,

Started back yesterday, hope you all have a good new year moving forward.

Been chasing money for a clean I did before christmas, usual no answer to text reminders.  Went around today and they have done a runner and there is a to let sign in the front garden, cheeky sods!  I covered myself with the usual first clean premium, should have asked for cash on first clean, oh well, you live and learn.

Have a good one.

Dino

Get over it and move on ? dont expect to be a window cleaner and to be paid all the time 

i lose 1% of income per month because of bad payers

its business for u , got to take the rough with the smooth

Been chasing money for a clean I did before christmas, usual no answer to text reminders.  Went around today and they have done a runner and there is a to let sign in the front garden, cheeky sods!  I covered myself with the usual first clean premium, should have asked for cash on first clean, oh well, you live and learn.

You can still nail their butt via the small claims track, then CCJ them and then let the debt collection hounds loose on them who will eventually find them if they're on the electoral role. You only need the address that you know of, not the current one. If they haven't had their post redirected and consequently don't turn up / defend themselves against your claim then you win by default.

Happy new year folks,

Have a good one.

Dino

We always charge 2-3 times the normal price and it has to be paid in full before we start or no clean been had like you in the past !,,, 

My last dodge pot , before I done thr clean they was asking if I will text them to remind them if they haven’t paid , and if I will go knock on the door for payment ? 

I like To give everyone a chance , nobody seemed home so left a slip ,

so got text few  hours later, Saying I haven’t even cleaned windows , and that I broke a seal,

which one was it?

didn't clean or did I break the seal ?

You can still nail their butt via the small claims track, then CCJ them and then let the debt collection hounds loose on them who will eventually find them if they're on the electoral role. You only need the address that you know of, not the current one. If they haven't had their post redirected and consequently don't turn up / defend themselves against your claim then you win by default.

If only it were that easy , I have a ccj against someone along with 6 other people/companies in total we are owed a six figure sum , the guy has moved abroad and his house is now empty no goods to be taken for payment , as a collective group we are now trying to force the sale of the house and it will happen in time but will also cost tens of thousands in court costs barristers etc luckily a couple of firms he owes money to are big national companies and can afford to take it to the next level I certainly couldn’t afford to do that . Just beacause you have a ccj does not guarantee payment ,another trick they try is they make the first payment then refuse to pay any more you then have to start from scratch again back tk cort etc and so the cycle goes on , if you are owed a small amount it’s not worth the time money and hassle pursuing it , although it galles  me to say that .

Ah yes i remember reading about your tale in another thread - completely forgot!

You'll no doubt cross their path again in the future, if you don't karma will take em down by default.

Just lately (well ever since i lost a relative) anyone who crosses me seems to come a serious cropper. Job losses, criminal damage, even death of a close one (within weeks - and it's happened to different people). You name it, they seem to suffer for it. I spent years being screwed over by people through my younger years, it was so depressing that it damaged me. Nan passed and suddenly people who caused me problems started suffering.

Get over it and move on ? dont expect to be a window cleaner and to be paid all the time 

i lose 1% of income per month because of bad payers

its business for u , got to take the rough with the smooth
Cash or card on the day of one off cleans would cut that to 0.5% I reckon Haz. It's the reason I've gone DD only. Touch wood the only missed payments I've had this year have been older customers who weren't on DD.

Had a text the other day for a booking, gave me the full address and asked me to ''fit them in at my earliest convenience''. I'm not really taking one off cleans unless they're linked to a regular customer but I realised I had cleaned the property a couple of years ago. Had a text exchange but realised it was a new tenant, doesn't want a regular clean but I'm too far in so I booked him in. Once I asked to confirm someone would be home to pay cash or card I've had radio silence... None payer dodged I reckon.

We have all had them.

In our case as window cleaners doing residential cleans bad debt will be minimal.

As @Jango says, you sometimes will run into them again in the future. We did a customer for 3 or 4 years who then sold up and moved to a new house on a new estate. She didn't give me the right address of the new house when I asked and didn't ask me to clean the windows of her new home. (I did wonder why the new Mercedes Benz sudden disappeared and was replaced with a banger but just thought it was sold and the money put toward the brand new house they were buying.)

Mrs E did ask me to do a final clean so the windows were clean for the new owners. She was at home when we arrived but went out whilst we were cleaning the conservatory around the back never to be seen again.

I asked the new owners her new address but they didn't know. (I knew the new owners from a previous window clean and also cleaned her parents house as well.)

When the latest  electoral rolls came out the E's new address was on there, so I went around and asked for my money. (They had registered on the open electoral roll register.) She was furious and threatened me with court action for breach of the data protection act. I ignored that and asked for my money. I took a cheque as she didn't have any cash. As I was leaving she again asked how I got her address. My response was that they gave it to me.

Now we clean 2 houses behind her and 2 houses in front of her so she is reminded of her error every time she sees us working ?

But some debt we just write off and move on always mindful of the outstanding amount.

When I read of bad debt I'm reminded of a flat we cleaned for an old lady until she died. Her son has a number of properties he rents out. Years back he had a single mother beg to rent one of his flats. He had just completely renovated the flat. She moved in and then didn't pay the rent. It took him a while to evict her. When he went in the kitchen had been stripped of all the cupboards, sink top etc. The boiler had been removed as had all the radiators and the carpets.

She had declared herself bankrupt. 6 months later the owner got a phone call from she asking if he had a flat she could rent. ?

I find end of tenancy payments a PITA. IME the worst ones are army. They move then hardly ever pay for the last clean, and dissappear in to thin air. Quite often they don’t even tell you they’ve moved. Makes me reluctant to take any more on.

Happy new year folks,

Have a good one.

Dino
Cash on the day mate if they are not going to be in get them to leave it out ,if its not there dont do it...or make sure they transfer it before you do it .

I find end of tenancy payments a PITA. IME the worst ones are army. They move then hardly ever pay for the last clean, and dissappear in to thin air. Quite often they don’t even tell you they’ve moved. Makes me reluctant to take any more on.

Provided you have there full name and address you can get the army to pay the bill we have large navy estates where I am some think they are being smart asking for an end of tenancy clean and will get away without paying , I just phone up the navy base , give there name and address and within a week the money is in  my account , they do this so the armed forces don’t get a bad reputation in the local community , but it doesn't end there the person then gets disciplinary action taken against them by the navy and a heavy fine from them , I deal with the local pardrey at the base and he sorts it  all out ??? happy days   

Provided you have there full name and address you can get the army to pay the bill we have large navy estates where I am some think they are being smart asking for an end of tenancy clean and will get away without paying , I just phone up the navy base , give there name and address and within a week the money is in  my account , they do this so the armed forces don’t get a bad reputation in the local community , but it doesn't end there the person then gets disciplinary action taken against them by the navy and a heavy fine from them , I deal with the local pardrey at the base and he sorts it  all out ??? happy days   
 Haha yeah, I was telling someone this same thing the other day and they said the same thing: report it to the army and they’ll get a bollocking! A mate of mine is a barber and doesn’t take card payments. He said squaddies keep coming in and after the cut they get their card out. When it’s explained they don’t take card they walk out supposedly to the cash point, only to never be seen again!

Happy new year folks,

Have a good one.

Dino
I would contacted the letting agency, they will be holding there deposit. worth ago. 

You are not allowed debts in the army, encouraged not to even have a credit card. It is more of an unwritten rule, if your commanding officer finds you have started to accrue debt he or she can demand details of your finances. Their recruitment website says "Look after your money carefully, avoid uncontrolled debts and heavy gambling as this shows a lack of self-discipline and others may lose their trust in you."

In my last job I was a store manager for Brighthouse. We had to go out and see people who didn't pay. There were a couple of customers who were in the Army. One of them lived on site, the only way to access the property was by signing in and getting clearance. We never actually got clearance. The base is where Air Force one would land when the president visits so it's hardly surprising. We did always get paid though, within 24 hours of turning up usually. Another was lived off base but surrounded by other squaddies, if someone else saw us she could have landed in trouble but that customer didn't seem to care all much, always paid in the end though.

You are not allowed debts in the army, encouraged not to even have a credit card. It is more of an unwritten rule, if your commanding officer finds you have started to accrue debt he or she can demand details of your finances. Their recruitment website says "Look after your money carefully, avoid uncontrolled debts and heavy gambling as this shows a lack of self-discipline and others may lose their trust in you."

In my last job I was a store manager for Brighthouse. We had to go out and see people who didn't pay. There were a couple of customers who were in the Army. One of them lived on site, the only way to access the property was by signing in and getting clearance. We never actually got clearance. The base is where Air Force one would land when the president visits so it's hardly surprising. We did always get paid though, within 24 hours of turning up usually. Another was lived off base but surrounded by other squaddies, if someone else saw us she could have landed in trouble but that customer didn't seem to care all much, always paid in the end though.
My son is based in Hounslow in the Irish Guards and the bailiffs regularly turn up for squaddies who may owe money and if he's working on the gate and no one gets in. And the bailiffs usually throw in the towel because they aren't going to get any joy off off the debtor and their commanding officers have better things to do.

My son is based in Hounslow in the Irish Guards and the bailiffs regularly turn up for squaddies who may owe money and if he's working on the gate and no one gets in. And the bailiffs usually throw in the towel because they aren't going to get any joy off off the debtor and their commanding officers have better things to do.
I imagine it depends on the regiment. The bases I went to were relatively high profile with high security. I know that multiple world leaders landed there when they held a UN conference in Cardiff about 6 years ago. The last thing they need is some random debt collector knocking about. We never had any bailiff powers, couldn't even force them to return our goods. The squaddies still rang shitting themselves every time. They always used to ask us not to come back next time because they would be in trouble. Joke is they were called several times a day and if they just answered or called in to the store to say when they would pay we wouldn't have gone ?‍♂️

Something’s wrong if you’re losing that much. 
To be honest we dont lose 1% but we do lose about 06.- 0.7% percent but i have a budget for 1% if that makes sense ?

1% is £10.00 out of every £1,000 which is pretty good considering the type of business we are in.

What u got to understand is when you build a round you get 1/10 messers , these 1/10 messers can be messers for all types of reasons and one of the reasons is not paying up!

Last year we picked up 1,000 customers and kept 900, i dropped a lot of people for various reasons and half of the people dropped was due to late payments/not paying at all etc.

If i wasnt building up and just worked off the customers that we have then my 0.6% - .0.7% would be down to under 0.2% EASY ?

So to be honest with u things are more right ... then more wrong as u say ? ? ❤️

I have a round of houses owned by the MOD, pretty much all of them are sergeants and I don't get any issues with payments. 

On my website the enquiry form asks how they heard of us. Out of several options one has social media, and Google search engine as the other and option for one-off clean or regular, if it's a social media or Google enquiry I don't bother following it up any more as 9 times out of 10 they want the cheapest price, at the earliest opportunity and will see how it goes for regular cleans . I let some other desperate mug take it on now, don't need chancers like that.

On my website the enquiry form asks how they heard of us. Out of several options one has social media, and Google search engine as the other and option for one-off clean or regular, if it's a social media or Google enquiry I don't bother following it up any more as 9 times out of 10 they want the cheapest price, at the earliest opportunity and will see how it goes for regular cleans . I let some other desperate mug take it on now, don't need chancers like that.

Nice tip.. in theory..

But when we moved here the missus decided to find a window cleaner. How do you think she found them? - Google. We still have that windy 4 years later (and were one of their first custys). That windy has had a cull of clients lately getting rid of the rotten apples.. we survived that lol.

Back