Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Advice on pricing please

HWCS

3 hours ago, jack b said:

Wow Chris, that's going some i think. It would probably take me three hours to do just the roofs, they look like first cleans to me, caked on grime. I don't know how some of you guys get through it so quickly. I've done many connys and find them very time consuming. Those bits under the joints just keep swilling out. I'd be interested to know how long it actually takes you HWCS. Good luck with it buddy.

I usually work in a pair so maybe didnt consider that fully. But I still say 4 hours max for outside on that and dont get bad results 

I work fast on add ons, I guess everyone does. But yeah I would be happy with that time scale on that for me

• 3 weeks later...

I live in cornwall and have recently started my own business, Im not sure on pricing but i dont think anyone would pay £150 down here, what would you lot price this at for conservatory and upvc clean for the 3 in the Pictures?

inbound1647439513899263581.jpg

inbound777998983488276113.jpg

inbound6156933264606283787.jpg

6 hours ago, GarethC said:

I live in cornwall and have recently started my own business, Im not sure on pricing but i dont think anyone would pay £150 down here, what would you lot price this at for conservatory and upvc clean for the 3 in the Pictures?

inbound1647439513899263581.jpg

inbound777998983488276113.jpg

inbound6156933264606283787.jpg

Trust me they will pay many times more than that , what area is the job ?..

Just now, Pjj said:

Trust me they will pay many times more than that , what area is the job ?..

This is truro mate, thanks for reply. How do you price up Conservatories and upvc jobs? Literally only started up couple week ago so everything is new to me.

13 minutes ago, GarethC said:

This is truro mate, thanks for reply. How do you price up Conservatories and upvc jobs? Literally only started up couple week ago so everything is new to me.

We do some work in Truro and surrounding areas , work out how long you think the job will take ,what’s it going to cistern for materials, how much do you want to earn per hour and you have your price , obviously it’s harder when starting out as you won’t know how long it will take , and you will be a lot slower than an experienced cleaner , that job is worth £300 of anyone’s money around Truro what’s the house worth ?. 650k ?... we quote a lot of this type of thing and get the majority of jobs , not all will be prepared to pay that I accept that ,but if they are tight wads I dont want to be working for them as generally they are troublesome customers , if you are keen to do the job and want experience and earn something then it still needs to be £200 minimum . Do you have a pole long enough to reach it ?? You will also be working at awkward angles and if you arnt used to using a pole that’s going to be a challenging job to be starting with , try canvassing your typical 3 bed semi modern house and get a few of them under your belt first you will learn a lot and they will be far easier than that one . 

@GarethC welcome to the game fella, if @Pjj is giving you advice then my advice is listen to him, im not trying to blow smoke up his **** but without alot of his advice id probably be back in the bakery by now.

Mid 2019 id have passed that job to another windy as id not been capable, now id be quoting £220 (100 conny 40 per dorma) for a regular customer and £280 (130 conny 50 per dorma) for a new customer, id not be budging on my price as thanks to alot of people on here i know my worth.

In these prices id also be including vacuuming the gutters because looking at those roofs they wont have much in (unless theres near by trees) and would only take 15mins extra but sounds like your doing alot mor wirk for their money.

Let us know how you get on.

FTR i got the conny job in the original post for £180 😊😊

• Like 2

20200131_143154.jpg.e54111c4fc732de28c93d52cbde70782.jpg

9 hours ago, HWCS said:

@GarethC welcome to the game fella, if @Pjj is giving you advice then my advice is listen to him, im not trying to blow smoke up his **** but without alot of his advice id probably be back in the bakery by now.

Mid 2019 id have passed that job to another windy as id not been capable, now id be quoting £220 (100 conny 40 per dorma) for a regular customer and £280 (130 conny 50 per dorma) for a new customer, id not be budging on my price as thanks to alot of people on here i know my worth.

In these prices id also be including vacuuming the gutters because looking at those roofs they wont have much in (unless theres near by trees) and would only take 15mins extra but sounds like your doing alot mor wirk for their money.

Let us know how you get on.

FTR i got the conny job in the original post for £180 😊😊

So today I did the job and was not easy at all 

20200131_143119.jpg

20200131_143145.jpg

Well done, I wish you were up here and I would get you to do my connys for me at that price. As Pjj says, you must find out the value of the property because it has an effect on the price. Sandersons would have charged a grand for that but they would have cleaned the inside. You will sleep like a log tonight and be knackered all day tomorrow, that's when reality kicks in. 😉

11 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Looks like you've done a decent ish job. How long and what would be your idea of the price next time

They only wanted 1 upvc done which was the hard 1 over the conservatory 

13 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Looks like you've done a decent ish job. How long and what would be your idea of the price next time

They only wanted 1 upvc done which was the hard 1 over the conservatory.

3 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Well done, I wish you were up here and I would get you to do my connys for me at that price. As Pjj says, you must find out the value of the property because it has an effect on the price. Sandersons would have charged a grand for that but they would have cleaned the inside. You will sleep like a log tonight and be knackered all day tomorrow, that's when reality kicks in. 😉

Arms are hanging off a bit now, I wish priced it better, I did a job this afternoon which was 27 metres facias and gutter clean, 8 windows patio doors and down pipes for £90, is that to cheap?

4 minutes ago, GarethC said:

Arms are hanging off a bit now, I wish priced it better, I did a job this afternoon which was 27 metres facias and gutter clean, 8 windows patio doors and down pipes for £90, is that to cheap?

When you clean fascias then you need to clean the windows after it to leave a nice job. I'm £200 a day now but I did one last year for £180 but that didn't include the conservatory. I am now established with a website, signed van and on Checkatrade so I know my worth now. It will be a hard 2yrs unless you have money to throw at the business because you will be wanting all the toys. Gutter Vac, Poles, Camera, WFP, Backpack, Brushes, Ladders, Bigger Van with a tank,Website and anything else that will make the job easier.

31 minutes ago, GarethC said:

They only wanted 1 upvc done which was the hard 1 over the conservatory.

Well you did say all 3 initially, hope you didn't have to drop your price 😱 You will only start to find out about pricing when you start missing them. General rule of thumb is if you're getting everything you quote for then you're cheap.

2 hours ago, GarethC said:

20200131_143154.jpg.e54111c4fc732de28c93d52cbde70782.jpg

So today I did the job and was not easy at all 

20200131_143119.jpg

20200131_143145.jpg

Doing jobs like this to a high standard takes experience and knowing how to approach the   job , every job is different, to be fair that’s not the best type of job to do when starting out as I said earlier get a bit of experience on easier stuff first  before tackling things like this if you can , not wanting to be critical but that dormer side doesnt look good it spoils the rest of the look of the property. But well done it’s all a learning curve and experience and you earn some money as well so that’s good .

4 hours ago, Pjj said:

Doing jobs like this to a high standard takes experience and knowing how to approach the   job , every job is different, to be fair that’s not the best type of job to do when starting out as I said earlier get a bit of experience on easier stuff first  before tackling things like this if you can , not wanting to be critical but that dormer side doesnt look good it spoils the rest of the look of the property. But well done it’s all a learning curve and experience and you earn some money as well so that’s good .

They didn't want the far 2 cleaning, I thought they wanted all 3 done but they said only 1 over conservatory. They thought I only priced for that 1 so I didn't say anything as I done it to cheap anyway.

1 minute ago, GarethC said:

They didn't want the far 2 cleaning, I thought they wanted all 3 done but they said only 1 over conservatory. They thought I only priced for that 1 so I didn't say anything as I done it to cheap anyway.

You are just starting out and you will learn from both the positive and negative things that happen , being crystal clear with customers what is being done and what isn’t is a very important issue , I had a woman ask to just have the front gutter vacced out I said that the whole house needed doing , she said only want the front doing , so did just the front for £35 as she was a good customer but our normal price would have been £65 for the lot , a couple of weeks later she phones saying there are weeds growing in the back gutters , I said I did tell you the whole house needed doing but you said just do the front , she said di the back as well so we di the back and I bill her for another £35 she refused to pay saying Ime not paying as I have already paid , I said no I charged you half price as we only did the front , so you owe me £35 for  back she went nuts and never did lay needless to say she is an ex customer 😂😂😂m so the lesson I learned from this is we will only do the whole building not just the front or back , there can be no issues if it’s all done , we are now the same for any job like plastic cleans we either do the whole building or we don’t  take the job on 

• Agree 2
4 minutes ago, Pjj said:

You are just starting out and you will learn from both the positive and negative things that happen , being crystal clear with customers what is being done and what isn’t is a very important issue , I had a woman ask to just have the front gutter vacced out I said that the whole house needed doing , she said only want the front doing , so did just the front for £35 as she was a good customer but our normal price would have been £65 for the lot , a couple of weeks later she phones saying there are weeds growing in the back gutters , I said I did tell you the whole house needed doing but you said just do the front , she said di the back as well so we di the back and I bill her for another £35 she refused to pay saying Ime not paying as I have already paid , I said no I charged you half price as we only did the front , so you owe me £35 for  back she went nuts and never did lay needless to say she is an ex customer 😂😂😂m so the lesson I learned from this is we will only do the whole building not just the front or back , there can be no issues if it’s all done , we are now the same for any job like plastic cleans we either do the whole building or we don’t  take the job on 

Fair point and a very good point, I no for next time. Where are you based? How far would you travel to get rounds?

Just now, GarethC said:

Fair point and a very good point, I no for next time. Where are you based? How far would you travel to get rounds?

We are based in Helston ,most work is local  but do big commercial stuff in bath , Bristol, Oxford, Chelsey, if the price is right we will work anywhere in the country , 

For  domestic mainly around Helston but do do stuff all over again if price is right Hayle, falmouth, st ives ,Truro , feock, porthleven , Mylor, helford, mawnan Smith ,point penpol and many other areas 

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.