Yoyo

Starting out any help or pointers please

Yoyo

Hi guys I know this has probably been covered 100 times over but any help I would be very grateful of the more I look into it the more I get lost  I'm new to this wanting to be my own boss going to go the wfp way dont want to over spend my first time will only be me to start with 

Would it be better to buy a full system or buy what's needed and make my own I've no idea which or what spec  ? 

Not sure which poles to get,brush heads or hose

Was looking at a vw caddy maxi 

Does anyone know where to get a low cost website and was looking at using squeezie app

Thanks for any replys 

Part Timer

First thing you need to do is find out if you're hard or soft water, buy a TDS meter and find out. Have you got access to a storage area that has water and electricity with the capacity to store a large tank, preferably your garage or shed in back garden.

Yoyo

I'm in an hard water area I've no where to store water so would just be in the tank in the van 

Part Timer

Have you got easy access to water and power, if you have you can get a van mounted R/O filtration system. You will probably need a booster pump as well unless you have exceptionally high water pressure. You can also get portable systems like this

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/ro-unit/#booster-pump-controller-automatic-shut-off

There are cheaper ways to go about producing water and initially it might pay you to just buy your water as and when you need it.

Yoyo

Have power and water but ideally wound need to be van mounted unit as my nearest place to buy water Is 40 mins drive

Part Timer

It would be cheaper if you could buy the equipment and do the work yourself. As for poles and brushes this is personal  choice. My starting pole would be a CLX27, others will say an SLX25. 

Yoyo
13 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

It would be cheaper if you could buy the equipment and do the work yourself. As for poles and brushes this is personal  choice. My starting pole would be a CLX27, others will say an SLX25. 

Thanks where would you go to buy everything needed ? Thanks I'll have a look at the poles 

cleaniac

1. Poles. Get a pole from Alex Gardiner. You will not find a better pole, they are the best and it's a waste of time buying any other pole.

2. Equipment, EBay is best, you can pick up a tank, pump, di vessel, ro system,hose reel etc for under £500, cheaper if you buy used.

3. Van, try to get a cheap van. Don't work out a car with Jerry cans, it looks unprofessional, and it's an insurance and accident hazard.

4. Insurances, make sure your vehicle insurance covers you for commercial use.

5. Advertising, don't be tempted to offer cleans too cheaply. Clearly you need to encourage new business by offering incentives to try you, but don't go offering free window cleans for the 1st 3 cleans or something stupid like that.

6. Be patient, you are not going to be making much money for at least 4 or 5 years, you will be stuck with the customers no one else wants, be treated badly, and have to constantly replace bad customers with better ones.

7. Be consistent.

8. Listen to what your customer wants, and do what you promise. It's easy to say that to start with, but fast forward 6 years down the line, it's amazing how easy it is to drop the ball on the quality of work. 

9. If you can, make friends with other window cleaners, and respect those who have been in the game longer.

solarpanelcleaningltd
On 08/01/2020 at 22:26, Part Timer said:

@doug atkinsonfor your filtration system and @Alex Gardinerfor the brush and poles. There are cheaper out there but you get what you pay for.

This.