Exchef93

Ladder climbs i don't think about

dmw
10 hours ago, mike007 said:

Agree it being safer, but always appears that WFP guys always have a dig at people because they are Trad as if it is a crime doing it the "old fashioned proper way" which requires perhaps more skill. (Helmet on ready for incoming).

You're right Mike , years on ladders, those angles I'd happily go up and do. I think there are a lot of newbies with vans who may find it disconcerting. But I've done both and can see the merits in both.

mike007
11 hours ago, Tango said:

Mate.. you'll only learn the hard way. I remember years ago at work everyone was talking about how wonderful Steve Irwin (crocodile man) was. I sat there and said "one day he'll get himself killed because he doesn't recognise any limits". I was laughed at, told he knew what he was doing, risk assessments were done before filming etc etc... Couple of years later the guy was dead.

Same when you hear of a plane or helicopter go down.. the news always reports that the pilot was experienced with X years under their belt... The most common example is car drivers..  look how many of those have accidents every year - many of which are complacent idiots. 

What i'm saying is that we have this special word for things that happen which were not expected or foreseeable: Accident. History is littered with people dying because they suffered one. Don't be one of them mate.

More die from driving related accidents/incidents than ladder related accidents/incidents...so assume you do not drive due to the inherrent risk involved in driving.

People do have accidents using ladders,but you do not hear mentioned the many many more people who do not have accidents using ladders in their daily working life..

10 hours ago, Cghwindowcleaning said:

If you're going to trad from a ladder use the right ladder for the job like a pointer ladder from Ramsey.I have a 3.5m double.They are purely designed for window cleaning and are one of the best out there.

I have been doing this for years and use to do some right crazy and stupid stuff but after a while you realise there are easy and safer ways now to carry out a job.

Trust me the customer or the guy you work for won't give two thoughts for you if you fall off and are out of work.He also as your employer has a duty of care.

If you are going to use ladders take precautions look at the ladder matrix for footing the ladder as well.

personally it isn't worth the risk there are safe and easier ways like wfp now to earn a living

The employer does have a duty of care......and more importantly legally EACH OF US HAVE A DUTY OF CARE for ourselves and others.

Iron Giant
18 hours ago, Exchef93 said:

We also have a 20ft wfp and a portable resin filter that hooks up to a tap for the ones that are stupid to get to on a ladder

Possibly the reason some don't want wfp as if you are in the south in a hard water area with a tap tds of 200+ that portable resin filter will be no good at all, it will be like cleaning them with tap water and the windows will dry a mess. 

Exchef93
38 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

Possibly the reason some don't want wfp as if you are in the south in a hard water area with a tap tds of 200+ that portable resin filter will be no good at all, it will be like cleaning them with tap water and the windows will dry a mess. 

Without all the facts you dont know what your saying, im in the southwest, with some of the softest water in the country. Boss tests filter water weekly, if hes not happy with the reading he takes it and does a resin change.

Never had complaints from the people we use it on and it leaves the glass spotless.

Cleanco

I still use ladders on a daily basis although if I can get away with not doing I will. In some cases wfp’s and gutter vacs just simply don’t work or give the best results. Had a gutter clear last week and could not use the vac because of the tile overhang. 

maxbruffell
6 hours ago, mike007 said:

More die from driving related accidents/incidents than ladder related accidents/incidents...so assume you do not drive due to the inherrent risk involved in driving.

People do have accidents using ladders,but you do not hear mentioned the many many more people who do not have accidents using ladders in their daily working life..

The employer does have a duty of care......and more importantly legally EACH OF US HAVE A DUTY OF CARE for ourselves and others.

With all due respect rthe driving argument is bs. There are exponentially more journeys driven every day than ladders climbed!! Also driving is a necessity for the most part where as ladders aren’t! 

sorry, I keep out of the whole wfp/trad debate but that driving argument gets used for all sorts of things and is a load of ****. Rant over

Tango

Sorry but driving is an exmaple. I did not say it is better or worse than ladders. I merely pointed out that there are many complacent drivers on the road and many accidents to go with them.

The op is complacent about is unsafe ladder usage. I made a point about accidents happening because of complacency.

My reply was not a WFP vs Trad thing. It was a Safety vs Risk thing. You mentioning that it's a wfp/trad debate has just exposed you as a "windy-ist" LOL

Iron Giant
5 hours ago, Exchef93 said:

Without all the facts you dont know what your saying, im in the southwest, with some of the softest water in the country. Boss tests filter water weekly, if hes not happy with the reading he takes it and does a resin change.

Never had complaints from the people we use it on and it leaves the glass spotless.

Thanks, for now furnishing me with the facts, furnishing one with all the facts ensures the appropriate reply 😁 

maxbruffell
1 hour ago, Tango said:

Sorry but driving is an exmaple. I did not say it is better or worse than ladders. I merely pointed out that there are many complacent drivers on the road and many accidents to go with them.

The op is complacent about is unsafe ladder usage. I made a point about accidents happening because of complacency.

My reply was not a WFP vs Trad thing. It was a Safety vs Risk thing. You mentioning that it's a wfp/trad debate has just exposed you as a "windy-ist" LOL

Sorry mate, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to Mike007 using the argument that more people die from driving so you shouldn't drive...

For the record, I do not condone the op's ladder use in any way...

Dave B
1 hour ago, Tango said:

Undoubtedly my recent accident will be due to complacency as I "assumed" I would be fine.

29 years running up and down ladders and can still make a mistake. 

Exchef93
14 minutes ago, Dave B said:

Undoubtedly my recent accident will be due to complacency as I "assumed" I would be fine.

29 years running up and down ladders and can still make a mistake. 

It's because you changed over to wfp... feet are on the ground to much now 😁 best leave the ladder work to the trads 😉

Edited by Exchef93

Dave B
23 minutes ago, Exchef93 said:

It's because you changed over to wfp... feet are on the ground to much now 😁 best leave the ladder work to the trads 😉

Or maybe I could just earn decent money while the trad rats are clambering about on ladders risking their lives and taking forever about it.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tango
1 hour ago, Dave B said:

trad rats

Now now ladies lol

P4dstar
3 hours ago, Dave B said:

Or maybe I could just earn decent money while the trad rats are clambering about on ladders risking their lives and taking forever about it.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

bryan cranston mic drop GIF

NoName

ExChef you may soon be an ExWindie… it isn't us mummy boys WFP guys who tell HSE how to use ladders in the other way round...I know TWO windies hopsitallse by ladder falls - one airlifted so grave his injuries...

Problem? No Problem...

Torch cutting metal with flames bouncing off gas tanks

Cleanco

I don’t see what the problem is. Many tradesman still use ladders, like scaffolders and painters. Yes there are more options nowadays for windies 

but if they were that bad then why did most of us use them years ago instead of getting another job?? I wonder how many would be window cleaners if there was no wfp nowadays? We were all trad rats once, apart from the noobs who wouldn’t be were they are now without them so show a little respect. The op does deserve a little ear bashing for the way he’s started the thread as there no need to have a go at the lads that aren’t so keen on the idea of using ladders and vice versa. 

Iron Giant

I think we can all get a bit giddy about ladders vs wfp, ultimately it's about been safe, as @Dave B says complacency can catch you out and it only takes seconds for something to go wrong, no one wants anyone ending up in hospital or worse, I nearly ended spending the rest of my life in wheelchair from a 6ft fall with the ladder slipping out.

sit and think for a minute about how much your life would change if you ended up in a wheelchair!!

Edited by Iron Giant
grammar

mike007
15 hours ago, maxbruffell said:

Sorry mate, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to Mike007 using the argument that more people die from driving so you shouldn't drive...

For the record, I do not condone the op's ladder use in any way...

And I was using a example about risk attached to everything...and that WFP guys to always say how Ladders are death traps and anyone putting a foot on a rung must be suicidal!!.

Master Jedi Alejandro
5 hours ago, Cleanco said:

I don’t see what the problem is. Many tradesman still use ladders, like scaffolders and painters. Yes there are more options nowadays for windies 

but if they were that bad then why did most of us use them years ago instead of getting another job?? I wonder how many would be window cleaners if there was no wfp nowadays? We were all trad rats once, apart from the noobs who wouldn’t be were they are now without them so show a little respect. The op does deserve a little ear bashing for the way he’s started the thread as there no need to have a go at the lads that aren’t so keen on the idea of using ladders and vice versa. 

Folk did what they did because they had too. But we don’t live in that world anymore, not at least in the West. My uncle use to walk along ledges 2 stories up to clean the Otherwise unreachable windows and his boss would pay him a bit extra for it. He admits himself it was mad but it’s what they did. But we don’t have to anymore, we don’t have to risk ourselves to put bread on the table so why do it? It’s not like it’s high reward for high risk. Like it’s been said most WFP cleaners make more than trad.

The point about other trades is also not 100% as no trade I can think of (and correct me if I’m wrong) move their ladders anywhere near as much as window cleaners. I watched a guy install a satellite dish up the side of a two story tenement, he did it off ladders. To me it looked mental. But he was obviously safe. But how many does he do a day? Three, four, five at a push? Even if he instead 10 a day he would still be no where near moving his ladders the number of times a window cleaner does! And this is the risk. Ladders are safe when used properly. The problem is we are humans and we make mistakes, not matter how experienced. 

However, this all being said it’s opinion for the most part. I have a idea that may or may not work. 😬😂

@Simply Business @Martin Holden you lot are in the business of risk assessment, would you be able to shed any light on it. For instance, is there a higher risk using ladders when window cleaning as suppose a painter?  

Iron Giant
50 minutes ago, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

The point about other trades is also not 100% as no trade I can think of (and correct me if I’m wrong) move their ladders anywhere near as much as window cleaners. I watched a guy install a satellite dish up the side of a two story tenement, he did it off ladders. To me it looked mental. But he was obviously safe. But how many does he do a day? Three, four, five at a push? Even if he instead 10 a day he would still be no where near moving his ladders the number of times a window cleaner does! And this is the risk. Ladders are safe when used properly. The problem is we are humans and we make mistakes, not matter how experienced.

I would guess on average a trad cleaner would move a ladder on a house 4x lets say and cleans 20 houses a day on average that's 80 ladder moves a day even if it was 60-70 moves a day, no other trade would move there ladder as much within any working day as a trad window cleaner, so the risk factor would be higher