Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you ever feel bad?

Bwfc

Do you ever feel bad..  

When like last night it goes mad with wind and rain like u are inside a washing machine, suddenly I think of customer's especially 8 weeks ones where next day windows will be dirty (as we know any bit if wind and rain & windows will be dirty) and will be dirty for next few weeks. Summer is great where weather calmer and last longer. I think we all done amazing through the wettest autumn on record...

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain does not play part in window cleaning , each time you call around you take a thick layer of dirt of all the windows regardless if its raining or not, people who dont work in the rain are only robbing themselves 
I agree rain is fine and do work in it but if windy plus rain then don't normally as will make them dirty but sometimes money comes first as u need to make a living

It's the strong winds been the problem I cleaned mine then next day after stormy wind rain were wrecked...

I get where you are coming from but a bit of rain is not normally a problem, having said that we don't ordinarily work while it's hissing down. The wind is a different matter, especially near the coast where it can carry salt for quite a distance, that has been a big challenge for us in recent months.

Your talking microscopic particles. Even if there is a little biuld up, it will only be visiable under close inspection. They will still look clean, when the customer is sitting on there sofa or the neighbour walks by.

Don't clean them, and there will be weeks of dirt on there that will be visable. 

The aim is to maintain a clean appearance. The windows will get a little more biuld up some months over others depending on the weather sure. But they will never be in the same state they were in before the customer hire you.

The only time I notice (close inspection) any biuld up the next day, is when its torential rain and stormy. For the average down pour, it will take weeks before the windows look dirty.

Most jobs I go back to 5 weeks later really don't lool that bad. Thats with rain all month and we have certainly had alot of it lately.

Rain water is pretty clean to be fair test the ppm out . Them high winds and traffic is the issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you ever feel bad..  

When like last night it goes mad with wind and rain like u are inside a washing machine, suddenly I think of customer's especially 8 weeks ones where next day windows will be dirty (as we know any bit if wind and rain & windows will be dirty) and will be dirty for next few weeks. Summer is great where weather calmer and last longer. I think we all done amazing through the wettest autumn on record...
I'm mainly commercial but we had two residentials to do on Tuesday afternoon and the wind was forecast to be up to 60mph gusts. We did the commercial work and put the residential back to Wednesday.

Do you ever feel bad..  

When like last night it goes mad with wind and rain like u are inside a washing machine...
I did once, when I cleaned a regular customer’s windows one warm summers morning and then in the afternoon we had a squall. Heavy rain, very blustery. Problem was, the customer concerned had a huge Sycamore tree within 50 feet of the front of their property. The rain and wind combined washed all the muck off the leaves and plastered it all over the front of their house. When I went back in the evening to collect my wages the windows looked ten time worse than before I’d cleaned them. Fortunately the customer was very understanding and paid anyway.

Happy new year fellas! Gotta say we’ve had a great run so far, temperatures well above average, no freezes, no wind storms, and rain has even been on the quiet side. I know north wales is currently/about to, get hammered & we will escape that also. Reckon we’ve gotta be due something soon our luck must be running thin ? hope you all had a good Christmas & that

If I was proclaimed as The Messiah and could predict the future maybe, but as no one can and the weather is never 100% accurate, nope not one bit, otherwise I would be stacking shelves in a supermarket 

Interesting thread for a new guy like me going through my first winter full time window cleaning. Looking at the weather for monday\tuesday, Monday day looks clear to get out and clean, then its meant to all come in in the evening heavy rain with winds up to 45mph into Tuesday. I'm in two minds as I know they''l look like **** the day after they've been cleaned?

I did once, when I cleaned a regular customer’s windows one warm summers morning and then in the afternoon we had a squall. Heavy rain, very blustery. Problem was, the customer concerned had a huge Sycamore tree within 50 feet of the front of their property. The rain and wind combined washed all the muck off the leaves and plastered it all over the front of their house. When I went back in the evening to collect my wages the windows looked ten time worse than before I’d cleaned them. Fortunately the customer was very understanding and paid anyway.
Did you not re clean them!!

Interesting thread for a new guy like me going through my first winter full time window cleaning. Looking at the weather for monday\tuesday, Monday day looks clear to get out and clean, then its meant to all come in in the evening heavy rain with winds up to 45mph into Tuesday. I'm in two minds as I know they''l look like **** the day after they've been cleaned?
Clean them and do a good job....you cannot foresee if it will actually be a **** day after, Weather forecasting is one of only jobs  where you can get it wrong most of the time and get away with it.

If you pay to much attention to the weather you would never step out the door some days, I have worked full days in dry weather when the forecast was for rain

If you pay to much attention to the weather you would never step out the door some days, I have worked full days in dry weather when the forecast was for rain
Agree, going by the weather we wouldn’t have been working very much this week, ended up with a day and a half off and that could have really ended up being only a day off. Take every hour you can get this time of year as ? the thoughts of it is 

I know it's annoying but we just gotta go for it. 

Fortunately most people just like the idea there Windows are being cleaned as I have a few where insides are shocking, u would think they would want them cleaned instead but no...

Humans are so complex

Yeah it’s hard to get the decision right. Last week when going to bed i thought we may have to call a day off as it was forecast to be horrendous but woke up and the forecast had changed to fine and the weather warning had been removed ?‍♂️ I now check first thing AM if in doubt, the closer you are time wise the more accurate the forecast. A lot can change in even 12 hours

Problem for me is it's a 3 hour drive and the forecast has changed from wind getting up at 2 to now 40+mph winds by 12. If we leave at 4.30 to guarantee getting there for 8, earliest we are allowed to start, and the forecast changes again we've done £80 in diesel and lost the day. Will just do a few small jobs up here instead. 

I've just binned tomorrows job, 6 floor block of flats because 40+mph winds forecast by midday. Sometimes you can't take risks.
That would be an exception, I would be the same based on the job or jobs due, if it's gusty winds I will avoid 3 storey townhouses 

Back