Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pain in the arris day today.

Dave B

Staff member
Battery died on the way to my first job so had to get my wife to come jump start me.

Changed battery and now alternator is still making the battery light come on.

Put a multimeter on it and it's knackered so got to pick up new one at 2 off my mate who will charge me cost price then sit on driveway and change it.

Looks like working saturday?

I know how u feel..

Last few weeks been unbelievable had pure freedom controller go and they wouldn't refund said was way I wired it up?! Battery died other day plus snapped bit off my hose reel so waiting on part otherwise so much hassle tried to reel in without kinking.. oh and had pump die on me aswell & spare cheap one off eBay couldn't find anyone that could find fitting to put hose in it tried every plumber merchant in area.

This is definitely most fed up I been of window cleaning. Was thinking of starting up a cafe by the river? Log cabin type

I sympathize with you both. I had a nightmare start tuesday. Got to first job. pump not going at all. just this weird high pitched whining noise, fairly quiet, coming from the pump. Gave up, packed up , then just pulled hose off reel and let water drain onto drive, and lo and behold, pump working fine. NEVER had this in two and half years. strange, but worth remembering. 

Then did the job, went to go, and van battery dead, just a ratatat. Had to phone bloke up to come and start it, he said must need new battery. Local place shut till 23 jan, so risked it and its been fine. Took it on a good run mind. Was fine yesterday too, sitting there it measures 12.38, so tricky one. Guess I should get new one. Maybe keep in van ready to go if need be?

But yeh, these things are a pain. Went like the clappers to make up time and got done what needed to, but boy I needed a drink lol ? ?

All day grinding off old bolts on my left side hosereel because I have decided to stack both reels on top of each other and fit stronger bolts. I have also fixed the top of the reel to the side of my van. Will post a photo later on in case anyone wants to copy it.

Who would of thought window cleaning could be so technical?
 true, one of our old mates here though still does it totally as old fashioned and basic as you can get, doesnt even use a blade or mop, and even gave up driving. just scrim, bucket and push bike. mind you, hes running down to retirement now. just cant see retirement happening though ☹️

I sympathize with you both. I had a nightmare start tuesday. Got to first job. pump not going at all. just this weird high pitched whining noise, fairly quiet, coming from the pump. Gave up, packed up , then just pulled hose off reel and let water drain onto drive, and lo and behold, pump working fine. NEVER had this in two and half years. strange, but worth remembering. 

Then did the job, went to go, and van battery dead, just a ratatat. Had to phone bloke up to come and start it, he said must need new battery. Local place shut till 23 jan, so risked it and its been fine. Took it on a good run mind. Was fine yesterday too, sitting there it measures 12.38, so tricky one. Guess I should get new one. Maybe keep in van ready to go if need be?

But yeh, these things are a pain. Went like the clappers to make up time and got done what needed to, but boy I needed a drink lol ? ?
Mines charging at 11.3. Anything under 14 is not good enough imo.

Pain though as I just want to get this week done.

Fully charged new battery and local today so bo stereo or heater on and getting some work done.

New alternator will be at my mates tomorrow so will charge battery tonight and do a full day tomorrow then change it Saturday. I'm only 2 miles from home all day tomorrow so not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back