Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Question about charging your battery

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chandlers

Just have a question regarding charging a leisure battery. 
if I put the battery in a protected box and hook up this to the terminals

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/backpack-spares-v3/backpack-socket-v3.html
could I then charge it with this?

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/backpack-spares-v3/backpack-charger-240v-uk-plug.html

if not please let me know or would this not put enough amps into the battery? 
Building a van mount soon instead of barrels and backpack

thanks!!

Just have a question regarding charging a leisure battery. 
if I put the battery in a protected box and hook up this to the terminals

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/backpack-spares-v3/backpack-socket-v3.html
could I then charge it with this?

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/portable-systems/backpack-spares-v3/backpack-charger-240v-uk-plug.html

if not please let me know or would this not put enough amps into the battery? 
Building a van mount soon instead of barrels and backpack

thanks!!

If you are building a van mount soon then my advice is to buy a good pump (ie Shurflo) and attach it to an 85 amph leisure battery with a Spring or Varistream controller. Some suppliers sell pump boxes.

Then you will need a 5 - 10 amp leisure battery charger. With a van mount you could also add a split charge relay and let the vans alternator help with the charging process.

The charger you linked to is suitable for recharging the 12amph battery in their backpack. Its output is 1.7amps. The pump in their back pack is 'small' as it doesn't have a long length of hose to push water through.

When you go van mount you will probably add a hose reel with 100 meters of hose. That pump isn't designed for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are building a van mount soon then my advice is to buy a good pump (ie Shurflo) and attach it to an 85 amph leisure battery with a Spring or Varistream controller. Some suppliers sell pump boxes.

Then you will need a 5 - 10 amp leisure battery charger. With a van mount you could also add a split charge relay and let the vans alternator help with the charging process.

The charger you linked to is suitable for recharging the 12amph battery in their backpack. Its output is 1.7amps. The pump in their back pack is 'small' as it doesn't have a long length of hose to push water through.

When you go van mount you will probably add a hose reel with 100 meters of hose. That pump isn't designed for that.
thanks Spruce would I need to put a few holes in the two sides of a sealed pump box. Thinking air ventilation for battery getting warm or would that not be necessary? Any charger you can recommend? 
also thinking of using squeaky clean daves instructions for build a diy electric hose reel could I hook that up to the same battery as running a pump off?

thanks Spruce would I need to put a few holes in the two sides of a sealed pump box. Thinking air ventilation for battery getting warm or would that not be necessary? Any charger you can recommend? 
also thinking of using squeaky clean daves instructions for build a diy electric hose reel could I hook that up to the same battery as running a pump off?
I wouldn't have thought that was necessary tbh.

The first system we had had a pump box and an outside 85amph battery. The pump was fine. The supplier used one of those IP65 rated electrical enclosures with 2 holes in each side for the hoses - one inlet and the other outlet. They also had a 3rd hole for the electric cable.

From experience what was missing was a pump strainer and a drain hole. I our case the outlet hose developed a leak inside the enclosure and filled the box with water.

No offense intended but my advise is to learn to walk first and then you can learn to run. We have been wfp for more than 15 years and still use manual hose reels. Electric hose reels are a luxury and don't work everywhere.

Standard leisure batteries aren't designed to deliver the power a motorized hose reel demands, albeit for short bursts of time. You really need a combo battery, a combined starter (CCA rating) and a leisure battery. These batteries will not last as long as you think they should as they are neither good starter batteries or good leisure batteries. These are generally rated class B batteries. We are finding that more and more battery suppliers are refusing warranty claims on batteries used by window cleaners. Tanya even mention window cleaner applications as a reason for warranty refusal - we are battery abusers according to them.

A 'Google' search for starter and leisure battery differences will keep you entertained for ages. ?

I've got a Numax 10amp leisure battery charger for motorhomes which I have used for 12 years. Its had a new power cable and 2 new fans during that time. Tanya sell them.

There are other intelligent battery chargers out there that will also do a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back