Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting a traditional window cleaning business

RonanJohn

Starting a traditional window cleaning business at the start of February.

I am very excited/nervous about this new venture!

Would appreciate any tips/advice please?

Also, what’s the best system to use on your computer for sorting rounds/customers? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting a traditional window cleaning business at the start of February.

I am very excited/nervous about this new venture!

Would appreciate any tips/advice please?

Also, what’s the best system to use on your computer for sorting rounds/customers? 
https://squeeg.ee is my recommendation and it’s also free for your first 100 customers. 

I would also recommend buying a Gardiner backpack and pole, unless your planning on doing bungalows!

Round partner for managing customer data. But you can start off with just a spreadsheet. I have used open office for record keeping for years, which is completely free.

Try specify what you want to know and you'll get better responses in here. There is a wealth of things to discuss.

Best of luck in your new venture.

Round partner for managing customer data. But you can start off with just a spreadsheet. I have used open office for record keeping for years, which is completely free.

Try specify what you want to know and you'll get better responses in here. There is a wealth of things to discuss.

Best of luck in your new venture.
I use to recommend spreadsheets to start as it’s what I did, but since squeegee is free for first 100 there’s really no reason unless you plan on trying all the different apps to compare. By the time you reach 50 you’ll probably want software and it becomes a pain loading them all in! Squeegee did it for me but not sure if they still offer that service. I’ll let them answer, @Squeegee App

I use to recommend spreadsheets to start as it’s what I did, but since squeegee is free for first 100 there’s really no reason unless you plan on trying all the different apps to compare. By the time you reach 50 you’ll probably want software and it becomes a pain loading them all in! Squeegee did it for me but not sure if they still offer that service. I’ll let them answer, @Squeegee App

Lol Ime a dinosaur I use spread sheets and have over 2500 customers on them no problems at all ????

Biggest tip for starting a new trad company, is not mentioning that you.might need to use ladders online, else all the wfp guys will chew your a** off ??

But on a serious note

Use fairy liquid in your bucket... works just as well as anything else people recommend.

16" squeegee is pretty useful for most jobs, we just use brass pulex ones, cheap and hard wearing. Only ever use wet and dry skrim for leads and Georgian bar.

Tried it and prefer traditional as I think it delivers better results in my opinion 
I used to think the same but have been proven very very wrong.

Wfp stays clean longer as doesnt leave a fine soap film on windows that dirt n dust sticks to. Frames come up 100x better too

Biggest tip for starting a new trad company, is not mentioning that you.might need to use ladders online, else all the wfp guys will chew your a** off
Only if you're daft enough to post pictures of the ridiculous angles you work at. There are plenty of competent ladder workers out there, from the pictures you posted you are didn't do much to put yourself in this category. You had your ar5e chewed because people genuinely don't want to read a story about you falling and breaking your neck. Also because new trad cleaners shouldn't think that is a good idea, you. might have mastered the art of balancing at those angles but someone new may just fall straight off trying to do the same because they saw it on the forum.

There is a definite danger with working at heights. @Dave B has been up and down ladders since god was a kid and he fell recently. Its a real shame that ladder workers end up working for less than the WFP guys in truth. There are a small percentage of customers out there that will only accept trad. If you're doing a dangerous job you should be compensated for it. Unfortunately it seems trad cleaners take longer and get paid less per property in most cases.

Only if you're daft enough to post pictures of the ridiculous angles you work at. There are plenty of competent ladder workers out there, from the pictures you posted you are didn't do much to put yourself in this category. You had your ar5e chewed because people genuinely don't want to read a story about you falling and breaking your neck. Also because new trad cleaners shouldn't think that is a good idea, you. might have mastered the art of balancing at those angles but someone new may just fall straight off trying to do the same because they saw it on the forum.

There is a definite danger with working at heights. @Dave B has been up and down ladders since god was a kid and he fell recently. Its a real shame that ladder workers end up working for less than the WFP guys in truth. There are a small percentage of customers out there that will only accept trad. If you're doing a dangerous job you should be compensated for it. Unfortunately it seems trad cleaners take longer and get paid less per property in most cases.
Make sure you remove that hook out you mouth before going back out today ?

In reality, 95% of trad cleaners will be doing similar things to me, as even some of the wfp said it was the same things they were doing. Nature of the beast.

I suggest you go into WFP because in this decade that we have entered now traditional window cleaning will become a big thing of the past especially the final part of the decade, if you want a good future then WFP is the way forward, good luck.

I'm with @Pjj I've been Window Cleaning now for 6 years and never used any software. My rounds are printed out on paper on Sundays for the week ahead. It's weird cos every other aspect of my life is technology based as it were but for some reason for this job I prefer old school pen and paper.

Latest Posts

Back