Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best thing for sealing plastic thread?

SureShot

Hi all

I have a 350l tank with it's outlet to the pump at the bottom. This outlet is a 'female threaded' outlet and is plastic as it's part of the tank - the male connector which screws into it is also plastic. When the tank is full this outlet leaks slowly, as if it isn't tight enough, but it is. I have used silicone sealant and putty around around the outside in an effort to "block" the water from coming out but to no avail. I hear PTFE is not meant to be wrapped onto plastic thread, so what do you use?

Thanks

Hi all

I have a 350l tank with it's outlet to the pump at the bottom. This outlet is a 'female threaded' outlet and is plastic as it's part of the tank - the male connector which screws into it is also plastic. When the tank is full this outlet leaks slowly, as if it isn't tight enough, but it is. I have used silicone sealant and putty around around the outside in an effort to "block" the water from coming out but to no avail. I hear PTFE is not meant to be wrapped onto plastic thread, so what do you use?

Thanks
PTFE worked for me, used quite a bit. If it really worries you then just buy a brass connection and use it on that.

Sureshort, not sure where you got that info from, I've used it.. no issues but would dsay important to make sure both threads are clean and not cross threaded etc and then just PLENTY of PTFE to ensure you've got both threads fully filled to allow for expansion/contraction/movement...if it still leaks just wrap a few more times around until it stops...

Bedtime reading...nothing about not to be used on female plastic joints...?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=ideas-and-advice/ptfe-tapes-guide

Hi all

Thanks

Plumbers Mait or gas type PTFE 

Just remember... whatever you use to seal it with be sure you have a inline filter before your pump

An expensive oversight by many as it kills your pump 

I have a plastic ionics tank with a pure freedom 90 degree plastic union screwed in so I used the liquid paste stuff as didn’t want to split anything by wrapping ptfe tape round it. As long as everything is bone dry when your assembling you’ll be fine. 

Latest Posts

Back