Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to go about taking someone on to work from another van?

Hi guys. 

In the near future I’ll be looking to employ someone to work for me, my plan is to buy another van and equipment and get them insured on it, I’m just looking for some advise on how to go about it in the best way.

Here are some questions that I’d like some advise on please: 

1) I’m thinking of paying them £12 per hour, do you think that’s fair? And there target would be to do at least £25 worth of work per hour. (my work isn’t all compact, but at a minimum £25 is achievable) 

2) Would the worker be classed as a subby  and in charge of paying their own tax and insurances? 

3) Would it be down to me to pay for fuel and insurance on the van? 

Any other advice would be appreciated. ? 

Many thanks, Luke. 

£12 is fair but by the time you've paid NI, Employers Liability, pension, sick and holiday pay etc, etc, etc he will need to generate more than 325 an hour for it to be worth your while. 
Thanks for that mate. But if they are a subby, wouldn’t they be in charge of paying their own tax and NI? I wouldn’t have to pay holiday, sick pay and pension would I..? Please correct me if I’m wrong... 

You said you were going to employ them, not subcontract. There are differing thoughts about subcontracting work out but if you're supplying the van, tools and work then you aren't subcontracting you are employing them and will have to pay the above. You can do what others do and take the chance but if your worker fell out with you and reported you, you will be in trouble, financially.

You said you were going to employ them, not subcontract. There are differing thoughts about subcontracting work out but if you're supplying the van, tools and work then you aren't subcontracting you are employing them and will have to pay the above. You can do what others do and take the chance but if your worker fell out with you and reported you, you will be in trouble, financially.
Appreciate your help mate ?

As Part timer say you cant provide the van and all the kit and then say their A self employed sub contractor ,I asked the same question to my accountant many years ago and his reply was stop trying to beat the system because you never will.

and if you do take some one on and your paying them £12 an hour  you need a minimum return from them of at least £48 an hour.

Theres a lot to consider when committing to taking an employee on to the books 

Hi guys. 

In the near future I’ll be looking to employ someone to work for me, my plan is to buy another van and equipment and get them insured on it, I’m just looking for some advise on how to go about it in the best way.

1) I’m thinking of paying them £12 per hour, do you think that’s fair? And there target would be to do at least £25 worth of work per hour. (my work isn’t all compact, but at a minimum £25 is achievable) 

2) Would the worker be classed as a subby  and in charge of paying their own tax and insurances? 

Many thanks, Luke. 
Why dont you start them on £10 an hour and see how they get on , increasing their wages if they work well.

I have employed someone for many years now but we both work from the same van.

The other guys are right, by the time you pay their ni and holiday pay and sick it soon adds up.

Me personally though i wouldn't have it any other way.

You should officially employ. But ultimately none of my business.

£12ph for someone with no sick pay, holiday pay, in a job where we also need to cover the odd wash out wet day isn’t good money after you consider those things. Not very motivating for the worker.

Also make a small bonus incentive, for example: 25% on anything over £200. So if he worked hard for 9hrs, and did say £240ish, he’d earn £118 for the day (9x£12 + £10 bonus). £118 a day in an employed job is great money. And he should be motivated to keep the job & work hard. And in return you’d be turning over £122 a day from his van. Based on the made up example above. 

I’d like to take on just 1 worker in a couple of years time, and I would officially employ, but I’d have him in my van with me on a two man set up. Yes it’s less money, but a lot less start up cost, but less organising & stress. I’d employ him or her on a contract of 4x 8hr days a week, at £10.50ph (4 days allows for 1 wet day a week) If it’s a dry week, I’d either do the Friday on my own or if there’s work, offer them over time. 
With a small bonus scheme. 20% of anything over £350 we do or whatever. 

Anyway hope you sort something out ?

They need to do x3 of their to make it viable, you’ll also need employers liability, pension etc.

I worked for a firm on the dodgy for 8 years about 8 years ago.

His guys had to do £20 ph trad and got paid 10ph and he had 9 guys and never got questioned about it.

I was a subby and did about 200 a day and gave him 20% like a franchisee. 

Franchise is a good way to go as they supply van and equipment and give you a percentage which means its not on your turnover but you need more employees and work to make a good profit.

1 franchisee would pay your costs. 

2 would leave you in profit.

5 and you could sit at home on 1k a week easily.

My first guy starts in March and hopefully 2nd in june and I will just be doing pressure washing for myself but I am employing not franchising.

Pm me if you want more details which may help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to an accountant, and get a quote for running a payroll for one employee allong with your tax return.

I have one employee and employ them properly. I would just start with £9-10. Honestly it can be tight. Once you take off down time etc.

Although I run two vans, I would advise just starting them on your van with you. Biuld up your customers and make sure things are working put before you spend allot on another van.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I used to work as a class 1 artic driver before doing this and I’ve worked for various agencies and they gave me a choice, work as P.A.Y.E.  Or work self employed where they would pay a slightly higher rate. Obviously I didn’t have my own truck, I used the haulage firms, maybe used some of my own ppe etc but couldn’t you do this same in this instance?

If they only work for you, it would be classed as employed. 
if  they have all their own equipment and van And have some of their own work, that they do personally they could sub to you. 
You need to do things right. Get advice from an advisor. 

Hi guys. 

Many thanks, Luke. 
Hi Luke,

Make sure you get everything out of one van first before you get another on the road. Employ someone to work with you in your van first to get a feel far it.  Try and make your work more compact and maybe get a trolley so you can max your hourly earnings. If your not doing it with one van your probably not yet ready to get another on the road.

Best of luck.

Latest Posts

Back