Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Weed killer advice

DJT

Hi all, 

I've been asked to clean a shop front and as part of a monthly maintanance clean they have asked if I could put some weed killer down the side of the shop just to keep it looking tidy. 

Anybody got any thing they use that they would recomend or would any of the shelf products be fine? 

Not trying to be awkward, just playing devils advocate, are you Insured to do this? Might appear to be easy money but if someone's cat / dog dies due to you doing it then that will be expensive.
In short, I don't know. I'll check on this. Its a small strip of gravel that just needs a quick spray every month. 

If you are charging anyone for spraying anything you are supposed to have a p1 and p6 I think it is spraying ticket it’s a complete farce I did it many years ago but didn’t bother to renew it @£250; every three years . Any weed killer that you would use around the home should be ok for general weeds and grass like things 

Don't spray with hypo as it won't kill it.

To spray weed killer you need to be licensed but I would do it anyway.

Buy a weedkiller with a strong percentage of glyphosate such as round up etc and give it a spray.

It soaks in to the leaves and is dormant once in contact with soil and won't harm animals.

It is a carcinogen though so wear gloves and don't get ot on you.

I have a customer who diedt recently from cancer who's wife puts it down to his obsession with keeping the weeds away with glyphosate. 

It does the job but also has illness associated with it. 

Good if used properly but don't take any risks.

Hi all, 

I've been asked to clean a shop front and as part of a monthly maintanance clean they have asked if I could put some weed killer down the side of the shop just to keep it looking tidy. 

Anybody got any thing they use that they would recomend or would any of the shelf products be fine? 
Make your own pet/ child friendly, white vinegar,lemon citrus, same as you squeeze on your pancakes, fairy liquid, maybe add a bit of salt, I’ve been using it for years, no licence required, try it out on your own garden, keep it off the grass though.

Not trying to be awkward, just playing devils advocate, are you Insured to do this? Might appear to be easy money but if someone's cat / dog dies due to you doing it then that will be expensive.
A very strong and transparent reply. Well mentioned 

I currently run a grounds maintenance business moving in to the window and building side of things. If you get caught spraying on commercial property I believe the fines are now extremely heavy as they are trying to prevent the active ingredient (glyphosate) from being band as this would be a huge loss to our industry. the courses aren’t expensive and it’s an add on to your current business. For small business parks with no grass or shrubs  or businesses with no grounds you could make a nice bit of money from it. £20-40 a  spray is achievable as many contractors much like myself would both traveling for it as we have other kit sat doing nothing when they could earn us more!  If you have a licence and buy the commercial chemical it’s around £1.50 - £2 a knapsack to make 15l of mixed chemical. 

Back