Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Static RO system advice.

ppads52

Hi all, could anyone advise me on a good Static RO system to purchase. I’ve tried searching in the search box but nothing.

im on my mobile so maybe that’s the problem. I am looking for something to easily put together, which would be sited inside my garden shed. Thanks in advance

Depends on your water I am in a soft water area, there are areas across the North East of England like Newcastle and Teesside if you know your tap tds we can better advise, plus how much water you need on a daily basis 

Oh I see. My TDS is 80 but rises to 100 plus. We don’t use a great deal of water but I’m twin DI vessel at the moment, we’re using more and more water and it’s costing mor with the price of resin constantly rising.

we probs use on average 2000 litres per week ish ish

Oh I see. My TDS is 80 but rises to 100 plus. We don’t use a great deal of water but I’m twin DI vessel at the moment, we’re using more and more water and it’s costing mor with the price of resin constantly rising.

Best place to buy is from https://daqua.co.uk/ro_systems.htm a 450gpd R/O which is at the bottom of the page which should do you if you also have good water pressure of around 70psi and would recommend maybe ringing @doug atkinson in the morning if you are unsure and he can better advise 

with a tap tds of 80ppm you should get a pure production of 1-2ppm if and when your tap tds input rises you will need to process through one DI also, my tds is around 70ppm and my 450gpd R/O gets me a pure production of 1ppm, I also use a booster pump as my tap pressure can drop 

As per @Iron Giant.

Most of us use 1000 liter IBC tanks to process water into. They can be purchased used but cleaned out for around £50. Delivery to site can add another £50. A smaller 600 liter IBC tanks are also available but tend to cost more.

I found a 450GPD r/o just managed to keep up with 2 windies with careful planning. If you foresee using a lot of water then you might consider a bigger r/o such as a 4040.

In the winter the r/o will work slower due to the cold water. In winter I estimated it took around 36 to 38 hours to fill a 1000 liter IBC tank. So I used to fill my 650 liter tank on Saturday and son's 500 liter tank on a Sunday. The IBC tank was pretty much full by Monday pm. I probably used about 400 liters a day and son around the same. We found we could get through the week ok (son didn't work Tuesdays) but by Friday we didn't have enough in the IBC tank to fill each of our tanks. We took just what we thought we would need that day. We used the weekend to catch up again for the following week.

When we added another cleaner part time the r/o couldn't keep up.

Last edited by a moderator:
As per @Iron Giant.

Most of us use 1000 liter IBC tanks to process water into. They can be purchased used but cleaned out for around £50. Delivery to site can add another £50. A smaller 600 liter IBC tanks are also available but tend to cost more.

I found a 450GPD r/o just managed to keep up with 2 windies with careful planning. If you foresee using a lot of water then you might consider a bigger r/o such as a 4040.

In the winter the r/o will work slower due to the cold water. In winter I estimated it took around 36 to 38 hours to fill a 1000 liter IBC tank. So I used to fill my 650 liter tank on Saturday and son's 500 liter tank on a Sunday. The IBC tank was pretty much full by Monday pm. I probably used about 400 liters a day and son around the same. We found we could get through the week ok (son didn't work Tuesdays) but by Friday we didn't have enough in the IBC tank to fill each of our tanks. We took just what we thought we would need that day. We used the weekend to catch up again for the following week.

When we added another cleaner part time the r/o couldn't keep up.
There’s a lot to think about, thanks for your input it’s greatly appreciated

ppads52 said:
Is it possible to get an RO system that can operate quicker even in the winter?

Where abouts in the NE are you? We have quite a few Newcastle, me and a another in Sunderland, we have a few Smoggies and then we have the 2 wooly backs ? 
I’m a Sandancer

Yes @ppads52. a 4040. With an HF5 membrane and 50psi water pressure I get 2lpm of pure.

I have mine on a float level switch and solenoid valve which switches off automatically when the IBC is full.

Is it possible to get an RO system that can operate quicker even in the winter?

I’m a Sandancer

So does that mean I'm a Smoggie living on Teesside or do you have to be born on Teesside for the title? I've never heard of a Smoggie so I guess I'm never to old to learn.

So does that mean I'm a Smoggie living on Teesside or do you have to be born on Teesside for the title
Strictly speaking it covers Billingham to the Parkway. It relates to the smoke coming out of the Billingham, Redcar and Middlesbrough chemical plants. As you drive down from sunny Sunderland ? the first thing you see is the steam from the cooling towers, hence smoggies ? 

That sounds an expensive set up

How much is resin costing you a year?

6 years ago I spent £1000 on my 4040 set. I made a cabinet and incorporated a tube heater and a froststat to keep the membrane warm in winter. I also included an float switch, an inline tds meter and a water meter.

We use around 75,000 liters of tap water every 4 months and get around half that as pure.

I have a 6 liter DI vessel and replace the resin once every 12 to 18 months. A 25kg bag lasts me 4 years. I replace 20" prefilters every 75,000 liters  at a cost around £40.

When we fill up I don't have to worry about being around to switch the r/o off when the tank is full. It does it automatically.

I’d say £600

1 , 25 kg bag every 8 weeks

OK. so I invested money but I have a return in less than 3 years. We aren't on a water meter so I haven't considered actual water costs but if I was metered water would cost me twice what it does DI only.

For me another best thing is that we always have ample water. without water we can't work and earn.

I think that makes sense for me to follow your lead then, it’s gonna be cheaper in the long run for me too.

also we’re using more pure almost every week

Colder water will slow production down, I did a test on my system over the weekend on my standard 450gpd R/O  water temp was 10.6c and without the booster pump produced 1 litre of pure in 4.30 minutes, once I switched my booster pump it took 1,30 minutes to produce 1 litre of pure, waste was 1.30 minutes to fill a 1 litre jug without the booster pump on, tap pressure was 60psi

My tap pressure does fluctuate due to the water board and this has been an issue since last summer, some days I can produce 350ltrs of pure in around 6-7 hours other days it can take 12 hours or so, I run my booster pump on 45 minutes then off for 15 minutes 

Colder water will slow production down, I did a test on my system over the weekend on my standard 450gpd R/O  water temp was 10.6c and without the booster pump produced 1 litre of pure in 4.30 minutes, once I switched my booster pump it took 1,30 minutes to produce 1 litre of pure, waste was 1.30 minutes to fill a 1 litre jug without the booster pump on, tap pressure was 60psi

My tap pressure does fluctuate due to the water board and this has been an issue since last summer, some days I can produce 350ltrs of pure in around 6-7 hours other days it can take 12 hours or so, I run my booster pump on 45 minutes then off for 15 minutes 

That's a big difference in output between boosted and not boosted.

Must admit it all seems quite daunting.

“double di” vessel is so much easier lol
It is. But as you water demand increases your resin cost will rise. But then so will your turnover. There quite a lot of cleaners who opt for double di vessels to purify water as its less hassle. And that's ok.

But personally, I hate changing resin when I have to. I couldn't imagine having to do it every 2 or 3 weeks. It would drive me nuts (or more nuts than I'm am already @Part Timer. I thought I would get in there before you say it. ?)

That's a big difference in output between boosted and not boosted.
I was surprised myself, I had been running with the booster 30 on and then 30 off but I have had to adjust things over the weekend and no doubt adjust things as we go into the warmer weather, I do have my up's and down's with water production, as you may recall 

Latest Posts

Back