Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratches and stiff brushes

John1980

Hi all,  

I have been in business for 3 years now and had no issues with scratched windows.  Not to long ago my first incident happened.  The only change I had made was to the brush head I was using.  It was a gardiners stiff universal brush.  Just out of interest has any one else had issues with the stiffer brushes? I have gone back to using the fliocked brush as bristles are softer, so hopefully more forgiving.  Just interested in others experience with the stuff bristled brushes. 

Cheers 

John

I would've thought that the brush with the most bristles is more likely to trap the particles and therefore more likely to scratch the glass. We use medium and flocked and never, as far as we know, scratched any glass.

Thanks guys.  Very paranoid about this know.  Dreading getting calls from customers in the spring saying there are scratches on the window.  I change brushes regularly, clean them with a hose at end of day and soak in purses over night.  Not sure what else I can do.  Have a good all 

Cheers 

Sorry that should say 'soak in pure water'

Thanks guys.  Very paranoid about this know.  Dreading getting calls from customers in the spring saying there are scratches on the window.  I change brushes regularly, clean them with a hose at end of day and soak in purses over night.  Not sure what else I can do.  Have a good all 

Cheers 

The scratch may have always been there and the customer only just noticed it. 

Cheers 

Honestly scratches are very, very rare, I can only think of one occasion it happened to me and I've been doing this for nearly twenty years.

Appreciate, the comments.  I find myself examining every window now and seeing scratches.  I suppose if you look at any oldish window there are going to be some scratches over time.  Fingers crossed it wont turn into a drama.  Have a good weekend all

Appreciate, the comments.  I find myself examining every window now and seeing scratches.  I suppose if you look at any oldish window there are going to be some scratches over time.  Fingers crossed it wont turn into a drama.  Have a good weekend all

A lot of the time it's gravel that gets whipped up by the wind and scratches the glass. I'm sure that they were there before you got your brush anywhere near it! 

Hope you didn't have to pay to replace the glass or anything like that? 

Thanks for the replies guys.  Do you all use the same brush when cleaning velux windows to carry on cleaning rest of house?  

Yes we generally use the one brush for everything including leaded if you go carefully it’s fine we di carry a couple of other brushes but very rarely use them 

Thanks for the replies guys.  Do you all use the same brush when cleaning velux windows to carry on cleaning rest of house?  

Yup, just one brush head, all i can afford at present so i look after it thoroughly.

Cheers 

I flick through my brisltes very thoroughly from left to right to dislodge / flick out anything that they've picked up. I wear nitrile gloves too so i don't get my hands in bird poo germs etc while flicking through them. Also I clean the glass first and the sill after - once the sill has been done i never touch the glass again until the bristles have been flicked through as they could have picked up solid particles from the sill itself. Once the sill is done it's time for a flick through again. Yes it does take a few seconds but it's better that than someone demanding i replace their window pane. If doing first floor windows then glass first then go back round the sills - saves the brush head keep coming down for a flicking.

A lot of the time it's gravel that gets whipped up by the wind and scratches the glass. I'm sure that they were there before you got your brush anywhere near it! 

Hope you didn't have to pay to replace the glass or anything like that? 
Where do you live Chicago?

surely if it was windy enough to pick up gravel and for it to damage glass, we’d all need to wear eye protection and protective headwear. 

Where do you live Chicago?

?

surely if it was windy enough to pick up gravel and for it to damage glass, we’d all need to wear eye protection and protective headwear. 

Not big bits of gravel, by any means, but one of my customers showed me some footage of the corner of her driveway, where the wind whips up leaves and tiny pieces of gravel and creates little dust devil-types of wind and her brand new personalised door was being scratched by these!

Back