Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Muscles getting bigger

Chris34

So been at it for nearly a year now and the aches are going and I've noticed my muscles looking bigger around my shoulders and arms, they look more toned and just bigger, they feel stronger as well, actually starting to feel pretty solid (less flabby).  I'm not doing anything else other than window cleaning so it can only be the window cleaning causing this.  I used to go to the gym years and years ago and I'd say they're starting to look like I'm going to the gym.  Anybody else have the same?  I think it's part loading and unloading the 25kg barrels and part window cleaning hard to reach windows with the pole fully extended.  Only problem is the belly is growing as well, and no it's not a six pack growing  :1f602:

When I started wfp a friend of mine said don’t buy any new shirts for 6 months as you will grow bigger in the arms neck and shoulders and they won’t fit , he was right my collar  size increased by 1;5 inches , and has stayed the same ever since .

yep i noticed my shoulders/arms/neck grew bigger after 6 months wfp....but 10 years ago we were using aluminium/glass fibre poles!now i have to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week to keep in shape due to extremely light carbon poles.....?

yep i noticed my shoulders/arms/neck grew bigger after 6 months wfp....but 10 years ago we were using aluminium/glass fibre poles!now i have to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week to keep in shape due to extremely light carbon poles.....?

Fibreglass initially yes horrible heavy things and like holding a telegraph pole !!!!!! I have been wfp 18 years now doesn’t time fly 

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite amazing really, thought it might just be me.  I can feel my upper back muscle when I tense it, not sure I could even tense it before.  Got a nice tricep developing.  Like I say though, the aches I used to have are not as bad, I used to wake up in the night in discomfort but now it's just a bit of an ache.  I initially thought I was doing harm to my body but now it feels like it's actually doing some good.

Ha ha, what's not to like, good money and don't have to go to the gym, it's like getting paid to do a workout, ha ha.

So been at it for nearly a year now and the aches are going and I've noticed my muscles looking bigger around my shoulders and arms, they look more toned and just bigger, they feel stronger as well, actually starting to feel pretty solid (less flabby).  I'm not doing anything else other than window cleaning so it can only be the window cleaning causing this.  I used to go to the gym years and years ago and I'd say they're starting to look like I'm going to the gym.  Anybody else have the same?  I think it's part loading and unloading the 25kg barrels and part window cleaning hard to reach windows with the pole fully extended.  Only problem is the belly is growing as well, and no it's not a six pack growing  :1f602:

My arm and chest muscles also got much bigger over time.

Then something happened and it all slipped down to my waist. So I went about building that muscle up again and the same thing happened again. So I'm making sure the same thing doesn't happen again this time.?

A lot of the pains we get can be managed, simply changing arms, correct posture with anti inflams and ice packs will prevent them getting worse. One of the reasons I recommend newbies to buy a CLX pole is it will help them to produce muscle mass when they're  not busy. When they're  doing 50 houses a week they can then upgrade and truly get the benefits of a stiffer lighter pole.

My arm and chest muscles also got much bigger over time.

Then something happened and it all slipped down to my waist. So I went about building that muscle up again and the same thing happened again. So I'm making sure the same thing doesn't happen again this time.?
I always say that in my younger fitter days I was very intense. Now I'm older and more relaxed my muscle mass has followed suit ?

I go to the gym and play rugby anyway so never noticed the pole making any difference. 

It is definitely helpfull to be in shape in this job.

Nearly 45 now and I've got a bit of a belly nowadays but doesn't stop me martial arts training and going to the gym.

I couldn't imagine being unfit and trying to do this job.

I felt a lot fitter when I was running up and down ladders all day. Alls wfp has given me is aches and pains that I never used to have. A lot of the old boys near me that are still trad are fit as a fiddle and still up and down all day in their 70’s. Our job has always been very active but this new wfp generation we will see a lot of overweight unfit windies in the future. Also now that our job is a lot easier and safer it’s opening doors to lads and gals that would have never entertained the idea of being a window cleaner. Ive deffo noticed a massive rise in the amount of cleaners over the last ten years or so. Will our trade become so saturated that we will start to see prices falling? Only the future will tell. 

I've just got fatter round the waist I'm debating whether to start back going swimming again as it's kinder on the joints and at 51 I don't want to overdo it.

They used to say " you never see a fat Window Cleaner " but I'm beginning to see quite a few.

This game does keep you fit , sling in some shakes and creatine and you will be pumped , I only eat 3pm til 11pm the rest of the hours i fast this keeps my gut down and keep energy levels same all day 16/8 fasting.

I've just got fatter round the waist I'm debating whether to start back going swimming again as it's kinder on the joints and at 51 I don't want to overdo it.

They used to say " you never see a fat Window Cleaner " but I'm beginning to see quite a few.
Come to Bromley and you’ll see a fat ginger one ??‍?.

Wouldn’t change for anything though, love my weekends to much on the beer and curries.

One innings, enjoy it ?

once you get into your forties you need to do some form of diet/exercise regime or your pretty much doomed to getting old before your time IMO......when i look at the state of some of my old school friends now at 47-48...its pitiful...some are seriously overweight and can hardly walk,others are drinking heavily,smoking and still sticking cocaine up their nose every weekend,others im afraid havent survived and have been dead a few years now.....

I have always used my cleaning round as a bit of a workout and get up a bit of a puff when I push it. Usually by the end of the day i'm physically spent and sleep very well at night. The exercise is a bit limited in type of muscle groups used of course but its not bad. Done lots of exercise to international standard years ago but suffered injuries that stopped further progression. 

Back to original post, many muscle groups in upper body have really tightened up since coming into this business. Should have carried on with the stretching though as tight/stiff muscles restrict movement ultimately.

I have always used my cleaning round as a bit of a workout and get up a bit of a puff when I push it. Usually by the end of the day i'm physically spent and sleep very well at night. The exercise is a bit limited in type of muscle groups used of course but its not bad. Done lots of exercise to international standard years ago but suffered injuries that stopped further progression. 

Back to original post, many muscle groups in upper body have really tightened up since coming into this business. Should have carried on with the stretching though as tight/stiff muscles restrict movement ultimately.
get a foam roller...it works wonders on tight muscles,also certain yoga stretches help too.....

if your a wfp then going to work isnt really a workout as such....its more like low intensity cardio like walking but all in all its good for you...better than sat at a desk all day.....

This game does keep you fit , sling in some shakes and creatine and you will be pumped , I only eat 3pm til 11pm the rest of the hours i fast this keeps my gut down and keep energy levels same all day 16/8 fasting.
I do intermittent fasting too, but do 2-8pm food consumption, sometimes go through till 6pm, it's helped me lose 2 stone. When do you take the creatine and what protein shakes do you use, if you don't mind me asking? 

Back