Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do you get rid of the green stuff in gaps?

purpleroad

The tiny gap between bead of window and botton part often gets green stuff in it.  I put a microfibre over a plastic scraper and pushed it in.  Is this the best way?

20200111_155102.jpg

Get some spray bleach like you use in the kitchen spray that on it leave for 5 muinits and rinse off nice clean frames no green algi , or of you are careful get some hypo dilute it 5-1 and spray on using back pack works a treat we do this with most first cleans if bad customers cannot believe the difference. 

Unless you kill the algi it will keep coming back no amount of putting things in the gap will stop this , bleach or a bio product is the only long term solution 

Unless you kill the algi it will keep coming back no amount of putting things in the gap will stop this , bleach or a bio product is the only long term solution 

But watch for plants in the area when using bleach etc. Wear PPE

Bit excessive using ppe.

I have a spray bottle with bleach and water for 1st cleans.

Quick spray on brush for top franes/sills and spray direct on bottoms .

Why would you want to stop the very thing that keeps you employed?

You're paid to clean, not kill and completely eliminate what you're cleaning.

I don’t agree we are there to clean the windows every 4 weeks so it’s better if we kill the algi off so we just have to focus on a window clean not trying unsuccessfully to remove algi in joints on windows , we pick up a lot of work beacause ones have the same attitude as you and don’t remove it when it’s wet it will re appear in 24-48 hours 

If using normal flash with bleach kitchen spray you dint get more than a few drips off the sills at worst , if using hypo mix in back pack then yes I would damp down any plants before and after application   We have been doing frames like this for about 15 years or so if the frames are a bit stained this way of cleaning will improve there appearance no end some almost come up like new , we do this on first cleans and charge 2-3 times normal clean price customers love the results and cannot believe the difference, then we benefit the next clean as the frames are sparkling and the job takes a fraction of the time to from then on 

I have some Astonish mould and mildew spray which is bleach based as you can smell it straight away, I will use this on some jobs moving forward it's only a handful at most, older frames are more of an issue were it's got behind the beads, looking around everywhere is greening up because of the warmer damper autumn and winter 

I have some Astonish mould and mildew spray which is bleach based as you can smell it straight away, I will use this on some jobs moving forward it's only a handful at most, older frames are more of an issue were it's got behind the beads, looking around everywhere is greening up because of the warmer damper autumn and winter 

This job last year was like that with green everywhere.

Just sprayed bleach and water on and left for the time it took to do another window and then cleaned as normal. 

It was mouldy all over and only took a few seconds longer than usual.

20200124_074446.jpg

As Pjj said its all about making our next cleans easier. First cleans should take 2 to 3 times the amount of time it takes for a maintenance clean. I usually charge the same price on a first clean but now I will go and check it out. The customer expects you to charge more on a first clean anyway, so why not.

I always charge double for the first clean, you've covered yourself then if they turn out to be messers. Gives you plenty of leeway to take your time and do a proper job.

I don't charge extra for first cleans because I usually know the new customer or they are the neighbour of a customer. With only 50 customers then time was on my side but with 100 now its a different ball game.

If using normal flash with bleach kitchen spray you dint get more than a few drips off the sills at worst , if using hypo mix in back pack then yes I would damp down any plants before and after application   We have been doing frames like this for about 15 years or so if the frames are a bit stained this way of cleaning will improve there appearance no end some almost come up like new , we do this on first cleans and charge 2-3 times normal clean price customers love the results and cannot believe the difference, then we benefit the next clean as the frames are sparkling and the job takes a fraction of the time to from then on 
So bleach and water doesn’t make the frames discoloured then? 
min finding a lot of this algae, but it’s been a very wet Autumn. I would much rather get rid of it like you say, make our job easier. 

Back