Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is the 600GPD-F-DI FILTERPLUS® RO System worth it?

DWB93

Thinking of setting up on my own but need to figure out what to buy to get my own purified water..

I've looked online and my water is in the hard category rather than soft, so RO seems to be the better option?

I've saw this one that costs around £440 on window cleaning warehouse, is there anything I would have to buy to make this system work efficiently? I've always worked for companies so never had to make my own pure water.

I've saw people advise others to get the DI set up too as well as RO. Which I do think I'll do if it improves the quality of water for the jobs that will be done.

If someone could advise me on what steps to take and maybe a start up setup I'd appreciate that a lot

Thanks in advance

What is your TDS, saying it's  in the hard category means nothing. You might be 150, using 500l a week so using an R/O might not initially be best. We need all the info you have to point you in the right direction. What I would say is an internet search for a cheap R/O, isn't the best way to go.

What is your TDS, saying it's  in the hard category means nothing. You might be 150, using 500l a week so using an R/O might not initially be best. We need all the info you have to point you in the right direction. What I would say is an internet search for a cheap R/O, isn't the best way to go.
I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I have a TDS somewhere. If I dont have one I'll pop to the cleaning warehouse Monday. 

Once I have the readings I'll post them up, thanks for the heads up

I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I have a TDS somewhere. If I dont have one I'll pop to the cleaning warehouse Monday. 

Once I have the readings I'll post them up, thanks for the heads up

Then ask about r/o's again.

IMHO forget Merlins. I would also tend to stay away from the 600GPD r/o as consumables aren't that readily available. If you have low water pressure that 600 gpd r/o is going to be difficult to find a booster pump for.

I would consider a 4021 or a 4040. But as @Part Timer says, it might be more cost effective to purify your water with di only to begin with.

But its all down to your tds reading.

Then ask about r/o's again.

IMHO forget Merlins. I would also tend to stay away from the 600GPD r/o as consumables aren't that readily available. If you have low water pressure that 600 gpd r/o is going to be difficult to find a booster pump for.

I would consider a 4021 or a 4040. But as @Part Timer says, it might be more cost effective to purify your water with di only to begin with.

But its all down to your tds reading.
Ok thanks, I will speak to them as they probably know the best set up too for my area.

I couldn't find a TDS meter so gonna grab one tomorrow. 

I'll post my TDS reading once I've found out what it is.

Cheers

@Part Timer

@spruce 

Sorry for the late reply, I've took my water reading without filters and it's coming up at 165 which isn't as high as I thought it would be.

I've got a DI bottle with resin so I'm gonna test it out tomorrow see what it comes out as

@Part Timer

@spruce 

Sorry for the late reply, I've took my water reading without filters and it's coming up at 165 which isn't as high as I thought it would be.

I've got a DI bottle with resin so I'm gonna test it out tomorrow see what it comes out as

At 165ppm you are definitely on the high side of purifying water with resin. But when starting you won't be doing much actual window cleaning. You will be spending the majority of your time looking for customers unless you have purchased a viable window cleaning round.

So for the early days I would tend to purify water just using a di vessel.

There is a resin calculator around that will give you an idea of how much water you can purify at your tds just using resin.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin_Calculator.htm

Once you get up and running I would consider a 4021 or a 4040.The 4021 will produce around half the pure water per minute a 4040 will. Replacement membranes aren't much cheaper on on the 4021 so I would tend to head for a 4040 and pay a little more to begin with. (I wish I had done that.)

If you decide to process water directly into your van's tank then a 4040 is what most will use.

At 165ppm you are definitely on the high side of purifying water with resin. But when starting you won't be doing much actual window cleaning. You will be spending the majority of your time looking for customers unless you have purchased a viable window cleaning round.

So for the early days I would tend to purify water just using a di vessel.

There is a resin calculator around that will give you an idea of how much water you can purify at your tds just using resin.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin_Calculator.htm

Once you get up and running I would consider a 4021 or a 4040.The 4021 will produce around half the pure water per minute a 4040 will. Replacement membranes aren't much cheaper on on the 4021 so I would tend to head for a 4040 and pay a little more to begin with. (I wish I had done that.)

If you decide to process water directly into your van's tank then a 4040 is what most will use.
I'll do a test with DI tomorrow and see what it comes up as. 

I'm currently looking for a decent start up van but for domestic I'm not too sure which one.

Been looking at skyvac atmos also just incase I pick up gutter jobs.

I'm currently looking for a decent start up van but for domestic I'm not too sure which one.

It will come out at zero, unless you have very high pressure and flow. It will slowly start to creep up, @spruce resin calculator will give you an idea how much you can produce. How big is the DI vessel?

I would advise to focus on one thing. When you need work its terrible to have to turn stuff down but doing different things tends to blur your focus. To adapt a saying my Dad often used to quote; you "become a Jack of all trades but master of none."

For example, I know of a window cleaner who also cuts grass. He is busy in summer doing both, but cutting grass stifles the amount of windows he can clean. This has a knock on effect in the months he doesn't cut grass. Grass cutting is seasonal where window cleaning isn't.

My opinion though and it doesn't mean its right for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get chance to look today but the DI vessel I have is the smaller one you can buy, but I've got the RO too if I needed it, I'm gonna go grab some new hose tomorrow so I can test it, have resin if the DI bottle needs changing. The result at the  football last night has delayed everything I was gonna get done today

Back