Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tiger stripes on gutter and facias advice

Skywalker

Hi Guys and Gals,

i cleaned some filthy gutters the other day, I did my usual technique of spray ubik on the brush and give everything a good scrub, then rinse and re-wash and It came up loads better, but as it happens often there were some nasty black stripes on the facias, hiding under all the crud, and also here and there on the gutters. 

My question is, what is the best way of removing these without getting up the ladder and using Unger rub which is what I did.

Would using a back pack with a spray attached so I am spraying the chemical more direct help. I used a very strong mix that day as it was a bad one, but it didn’t make a dent. I just don’t want to use the ladder on these jobs. 

Ironically the neighbours must of had there’s cleaned recently but it was all left tiger striped, but I like leaving it looking as best I can, hence the manual polish, the other problem was there was a conservatory at the back so I could only do my best because of the poor access.

any ideas or tips and tricks would be much appreciated. 

If they were bad then a weak hypo from the back pack would have made an easier job. Try it the next time or try it on your own gutters to see how it goes.

I’m thinking of investing in the back pack as I’m getting more of this type of work. 

Ive never used hypo before, I assume it comes neat, and I’ve heard it’s strong stuff, excuse my lack of knowledge but what is a weak mix for example? Thanks ?

Not certain but I don't know of any of the standard chemicals clean these off. I just tell my customers I can't so if they want them removed then get someone that uses ladders. Then again I'm in the position of not needing this type of work.

I’m thinking of investing in the back pack as I’m getting more of this type of work. 

Ive never used hypo before, I assume it comes neat, and I’ve heard it’s strong stuff, excuse my lack of knowledge but what is a weak mix for example? Thanks ?

5 parts water 1 part sodium hypochlorite and 100ml of surfactant. Best thing to do is book yourself on a softwash course. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys and Gals,

i cleaned some filthy gutters the other day, I did my usual technique of spray ubik on the brush and give everything a good scrub, then rinse and re-wash and It came up loads better, but as it happens often there were some nasty black stripes on the facias, hiding under all the crud, and also here and there on the gutters. 

My question is, what is the best way of removing these without getting up the ladder and using Unger rub which is what I did.

Would using a back pack with a spray attached so I am spraying the chemical more direct help. I used a very strong mix that day as it was a bad one, but it didn’t make a dent. I just don’t want to use the ladder on these jobs. 

Ironically the neighbours must of had there’s cleaned recently but it was all left tiger striped, but I like leaving it looking as best I can, hence the manual polish, the other problem was there was a conservatory at the back so I could only do my best because of the poor access.

any ideas or tips and tricks would be much appreciated. 

This stuff will remove it you can buy it in smaller quantities it works well 

5E773835-35E0-4ACA-A1B1-4CCA1AC4A053.png

Do you dilute it and apply with a backpack?

Yes I have only ever used it at 4-1 and found it works well they say apply by brush but I spray it on leave a couple of muinits and then rub it with the wfp without any water going up the pole then rinse , I have used it on stained UPVC facias where black lines are under the brackets and it has worked well ,obviously it’s dearer than tfr/Virosol etc but it will remove stuff that they won’t 

AC9E5118-2629-484A-9C5A-B7F007A19AFA.png

I’ve had some limited success with razrwash (window Cleaning warehouse?). I say limited as it tends to work really well on some plastics and not others, generally the older plastics (the quality stuff)  that’s 10+ years old. I don’t get up ladders for fsg cleans anymore so if the tiger stripes are just on the brackets I dip my brush in some pink stuff and give it a scrub with that, if that doesn’t work I’m happy to move on as that’s the ‘best’ I can do. 

If they were bad then a weak hypo from the back pack would have made an easier job. Try it the next time or try it on your own gutters to see how it goes.

Scottish I've read bleach can cause a chemical reaction in upvc (guttering) causing it to yellow - is this true ? 

Has anyone caused upvc to discolour by using bleach?

Scottish I've read bleach can cause a chemical reaction in upvc (guttering) causing it to yellow - is this true ? 

Has anyone caused upvc to discolour by using bleach?

Yes it can if to stronger mix is used but rinse it off and it will return to white within a couple of hours or at worst over night , but it’s best to use a weak mix so as not to cause the problem in the first place 

Nice info on the chemical pjj, a bit over budget considering what the jobs worth. If you can get a ton on top of standard price then sounds great. I went on the website and doesnt seem to be an option for ordering less than 4 bottles. 
in the past ive done test patches with unfer rub out/pink stuff etc, none of it works. I’ve sometimes told the customers to replace the plastics if theyre that bothered. I find it hard enough winning full hits or fascia cleans at £120-£200, so the added chemical costs would surely lose the work in my case, especially when theres nutters round here doing fascia cleans for £40/£50 and full hits for less than a ton ?‍♂️

Nice info on the chemical pjj, a bit over budget considering what the jobs worth. If you can get a ton on top of standard price then sounds great. I went on the website and doesnt seem to be an option for ordering less than 4 bottles. 
in the past ive done test patches with unfer rub out/pink stuff etc, none of it works. I’ve sometimes told the customers to replace the plastics if theyre that bothered. I find it hard enough winning full hits or fascia cleans at £120-£200, so the added chemical costs would surely lose the work in my case, especially when theres nutters round here doing fascia cleans for £40/£50 and full hits for less than a ton ?‍♂️

yes I hear what you are saying , I only use it occasionally and I just stick a charge on every job I do for materials some jobs don’t use any so quids in , on some jobs do use it , to be fair I doubt you would use more than a litre per job , so price wise it’s not to bad , we work on being able to clean stuff others cannot and charge more beacause of this , but understand you may not be able to , we regularly get called to jobs that others have done for £60-100 and they cannot remove the marks we go and remove them and charge a further £60+ to just remove the stripes , then we usually get the customer on an annual clean , win win . 

Ime sure if you phone them you can buy it in smaller quantities, I have bought just 5 ltr in the past 

I managed to fade them with a magic sponge & unger rub out on a bungalow off a step ladder. They didn’t disappear, but looked a little better. The stains are so annoying!!

I made a little tool:

I got a Gardiners quick-loc brush socket (off an old brush) and using 2 heavy elastic bands, attached a magic eraser pad to it.

It actually works very well. The fact that the pole hose has no brush to connect to at the top end, means it just sits there. When you turn the water on it provides the water needed to wet the magic eraser pad and remove any 'black' water as a result.

Can I have a Blue Peter badge!

attached a magic eraser pad to it.

@Robbo, looks like you can get replacement 'magic eraser mop heads' which are wider than the 'standard' (small) size sponges - looks like it would compliment your innovation nicely. Think I'll try the magic sponge next time I encounter 'tiger stripes) if successful - think I might 'borrow' your innovation  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-Non-Scratch-Magic-Eraser-Mop-with-Replacement-Magic-Sponge-Mop-Heads/302648729951?hash=item467745215f:m:m-UGVBoMrIJ8Prf3kv-KGzw

Back