Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

fibredyne and sediment filter info

trevor peacock

I had all my info written down and I've lost it!!!

My water has 330 tds, so not good.

I've got a 450 gpd ro system.

I'm using a 10 inch fibredyne and due to my water quality somebody recommended using a sediment filter before the fibredyne, so I've done that.

Am I right in thinking the fibredyne lasts for 37,500 lts and the sediment filter for 10,000 lts?

just noticed my sediment is 15,000 lts old and has gone yellow!!!

I had all my info written down and I've lost it!!!

My water has 330 tds, so not good.

I've got a 450 gpd ro system.

I'm using a 10 inch fibredyne and due to my water quality somebody recommended using a sediment filter before the fibredyne, so I've done that.

Am I right in thinking the fibredyne lasts for 37,500 lts and the sediment filter for 10,000 lts?

just noticed my sediment is 15,000 lts old and has gone yellow!!!

Have you any road works or in your direct vicinity? Sometimes ruptured water mains introduce dirt or soil backfill into the main causing cross contamination. The same applies to contractors using hydrants to fill water bowsers with stand pipes 

The Fiberdyne c/b 10" filter has a service life of 37500 litres. This is waste and pure, so the total amount of water being used by your r/o.

The sediment filter is there to protect the Fiberdyne filter. The sediment filter has no service life limit. You will notice after time as you have that it will start to discolour as it collects sediment from the water.

We have issues with sediment in our water although its much better these days.

At one time I was changing the sediment filter twice and sediment and Fiberdyne on the third change. Our water pressure is 50psi and as the sediment filter blocks up the water pressure after the sediment filter drops. (I have pressure gauges on either side of the 20" prefilter housings). When the gauge after the prefilters drops to 40psi I will change the sediment filter. If the c/b is just about due I will change that as well.

Many years ago I got caught and had to replace a sediment filter the following day after a filter change due to a mains repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a sediment and charcoal filter the same thing?

No. In drinking water purification they use 3 prefilters; the first sediment, the second a carbon block filter to remove chlorine and a third is a GAC (granular activated carbon) filter to improve water taste. Both the GAC and carbon filter remove chlorine and other chemicals from the water supply but the GAC filter will improve water taste and smell as well.

In a window cleaning application GAC filters aren't necessary. I found a label on my 10" GAC filters many years ago advising a service life of 6k. If the c/b filter had the same service life then in theory using a GAC filter would mean a filter change every 12k.

GAC filters

Granular activated carbon is made from raw organic materials (such as coconut shells or coal) that are high in carbon. Heat, in the absence of oxygen, is used to increase (activate) the surface area of the carbon; this is why these filters are sometimes referred to as “charcoal” filters. The activated carbon removes certain chemicals that are dissolved in water passing through a filter containing GAC by trapping (adsorbing) the chemical in the GAC.

It is very important that the type and concentration of contaminants, and average water use, be known in order to determine the correct size and components of the system. All treatment systems require proper installation and periodic maintenance. Eventually, the ability of the GAC to bind and remove chemicals is used up and the GAC needs to be changed. How often the GAC should be changed needs to be based on contaminant levels and water use. While some filters may last for several years if contaminant levels and/or water use are low, higher levels or use may require more frequent change-outs.

Back