Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Smart battery charger

Bought one of these, am I right in thinking that if I change the croc clips I can link to my leisure battery and then charge via an extension?

Thanks in advance

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/leisure-battery-12v-smart-charger?_pos=1&_sid=aa54fcddb&_ss=r

View attachment 19131

You can remove the crocodile clips and swap them for some ring terminals and permanently attach them to your leisure battery terminal clamps.

If you do this you must ensure you have a solid and well crimped termination as loose poorly made connections lead to the charger going into fault mode or worse off a potential fire risk due to increased resistance 

The main safety note is to ensure the extension lead supplying mains power to the parked vehicle is protected by an additional plug in RCD which can be purchased from and big shed hardware store such as screwfix, B&Q etc

Secondly be sure to disconnect the mains supply before driving off.

You may joke but I've seen many forget too 

You can remove the crocodile clips and swap them for some ring terminals and permanently attach them to your leisure battery terminal clamps.

If you do this you must ensure you have a solid and well crimped termination as loose poorly made connections lead to the charger going into fault mode or worse off a potential fire risk due to increased resistance 

The main safety note is to ensure the extension lead supplying mains power to the parked vehicle is protected by an additional plug in RCD which can be purchased from and big shed hardware store such as screwfix, B&Q etc

Secondly be sure to disconnect the mains supply before driving off.

You may joke but I've seen many forget too 
Thanks @Apw1210, I didn't consider an RCD, great point and disconnection is an essential!

If you do as @Apw1210 advises you will need to fit your charger securely as well.

I would opt to keep your battery charger 'portable' and plug it into the cable to your leisure battery as and when. This can be done with Anderson Torberry connectors.

Doing it this way will allow you use the battery charger elsewhere if needed. I would then add another Torberry connector onto a second cable with crocodile clips on the end to facilitate this.

This is how the Numax smart charger is set up.

Numax-12V-10A-Leisure-Battery-Charger-Caravan-Motorhome-Marine-Boat-Mower.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do as @Apw1210 advises you will need to fit your charger securely as well.

I would opt to keep your battery charger 'portable' and plug it into the cable to your leisure battery as and when. This can be done with Anderson Torberry connectors.

Doing it this way will allow you use the battery charger elsewhere if needed. I would then add another Torberry connector onto a second cable with crocodile clips on the end to facilitate this.

This is how the Numax smart charger is set up.
Thanks @spruce, I was thinking of doing that, but wasn't sure how, just found a YouTube video, so will look in to that too

Back