Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How windy is too windy to work?

Got in there before the hailstones arrived but I knelt on a plastic store box in a garden and knee went through it ? Everything is very brittle but I told the daughter I would fix it, heaven knows how.

You've got to play that by ear but when the wind is tugging at your pole and you are getting more water on your face than the window it's probably time to stop.

Got in there before the hailstones arrived but I knelt on a plastic store box in a garden and knee went through it ? Everything is very brittle but I told the daughter I would fix it, heaven knows how.
He’s asking about how windy does it have to be to stop working ??.

I have and I will work in winds of 50 miles per hour @Pit Creature ?. 
That’s WFP obviously, not trad

Its surprising how much more you can do when its windy with wfp. Even when its blowing empty wheelie bins over you can crack on.

dmw said:
Its surprising how much more you can do when its windy with wfp. Even when its blowing empty wheelie bins over you can crack on.
When I was tradding I didn't like working above 30mph.

just get out and work in it...i used to be up ladders in 40mph winds years ago!now with WFP its easy.......the only thing you have to watch out for is if its really dry and the wind is blowing up dust....thankfully its been wet here so its damped down any dust...if its dry and dusty AND very windy your wasting your time as youll make a mess of the windows for sure.....

The direction from most manufacturers and the HSE is the maximum wind speed you should work in is 25 mph and it’s in the contracts that we have with some commercial clients  that they cannot be cleaned above that level , I have not got a wind speed meter ??? so it’s down to what we think and feel on the day if it’s safe to work we do if it’s not we go home .

I find the constant wind is okay to work with but its the gusts that can catch one out. The gusts can double the wind speed and break your wfp. This can cost you a day's wages or more and that when you wish you had stayed at home. ?

I was in 2 minds this morning but I'm pleased I went out and got a days work done. 2 new customers so again I'm pleased I did. I always just try and go out in high winds, if it is too windy then come home you can always say you tried. Saying that,the second off last house I was literally fighting with the pole had that of been the first house of the day I might of called it off there and then.

I was in 2 minds this morning but I'm pleased I went out and got a days work done. 2 new customers so again I'm pleased I did. I always just try and go out in high winds, if it is too windy then come home you can always say you tried. Saying that,the second off last house I was literally fighting with the pole had that of been the first house of the day I might of called it off there and then.

If you have a sign written van then its better being out and even waiting for the wind to die down. You won't get any new customers parked at home. ?

You can pick your spots when its windy - if you got some valley properties they'll be much better than the ones up higher on hills. Also obviously lower jobs are way better than high ones. I just give the windows a double rinse if i see them getting blasted by the wind. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back