Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Powering a gutter vac

Clisty1989

My mate has just bought a gutter vac and has a query which I can't answer, but am hoping someone on here may be able to.

He currently is using customers power to run it however is trying to work out a way of powering it if they're not in. Obviously a generator would be the best option but budget currently won't allow.

My thought was is there way to use the van engine as a generator?? In theory if the alternator was powerful enough surely he could use an inverter to power it, either direct off the battery or via the 12v socket.

However would that give enough power to run a 3000w vac, especially on start up? Or is there another way I've not thought of?

Any input would be fantastic guys, thanks in advance

My mate has just bought a gutter vac and has a query which I can't answer, but am hoping someone on here may be able to.

He currently is using customers power to run it however is trying to work out a way of powering it if they're not in. Obviously a generator would be the best option but budget currently won't allow.

My thought was is there way to use the van engine as a generator?? In theory if the alternator was powerful enough surely he could use an inverter to power it, either direct off the battery or via the 12v socket.

However would that give enough power to run a 3000w vac, especially on start up? Or is there another way I've not thought of?

Keep arranging for the customers to be in to use their power or get a generator on credit and pay it off monthly. 

Messing about with anything else you’re setting yourself up for a fail. 

You need to be a bit careful using the 3000 watt and bigger machines off the customers socket if they have a sensitive trip or you turn on all the motors to quickly you could blow the trip then you cannot finish the job or worse still if they have a freezer on that ring main stuff will start to de frost . 

You need to be a bit careful using the 3000 watt and bigger machines off the customers socket if they have a sensitive trip or you turn on all the motors to quickly you could blow the trip then you cannot finish the job or worse still if they have a freezer on that ring main stuff will start to de frost . 
I have an RCD on my 240v vac, never had that trip, should save any potential problems with custy's electric.

I've worked on some houses with really old electrics. Cable got that hot I had to switch down to 2600watt for those jobs...

Normally so long as you stagger start up, there's no washer/dryer/kettle on there are no issues. 

He doesn't have to buy a Honda gen, you can pick up Chinese gens pretty cheap on eBay.

I just bought a generator for £250 from amazon to power my atom.  Come with handles & wheels too.  Don't know if that'd be any good for you and in budget?

I just bought a generator for £250 from amazon to power my atom.  Come with handles & wheels too.  Don't know if that'd be any good for you and in budget?
I’d be very interested to hear your review of it. Have you ordered it or have you got it and used it already? 

I'v got a gutter Vac job on tomorrow. The folk have just moved in and need it done quickly because the bank surveyor is coming to inspect it. I think when they bought it, it was on the condition that tasks had to be completed to release more money. Its giving me a turn. ?

I’d be very interested to hear your review of it. Have you ordered it or have you got it and used it already? 
The jury is out on the atom - I'm not sure a gutter vac is for me but I'm gona keep it 12 months to give it a good go.

I've used the generator several times, feels sturdy and well made and quite frankly a bargain price! 2 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Böhmer-AG-Generator-3-8KVA-Stroke-WX3800K/dp/B06W9DXZBX/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=bohmer+generator&qid=1580755264&sr=8-7

They do several higher powered and lower powered ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a lot of custy's have external power points nowadays (80% in my area at least) just make sure any internal switch/trip switch is left on by custy - ask them to test it with an appliance to confirm it's all powered. Some times I've even asked if we can use the neighbours external power - all I've asked have obliged ? 

ThL4ka's reel in bag is a winner - most folk have an extension (if not drop one round) they can get them thru a letterbox/catflap/fanlight window/under garage door) 

Van sockets will not generate enough power to cope with the peak surge required when the vac secondary/tertiary motor kicks in (as per advice form grippa - I asked ?)

I've only ever need to hire a Genny for commercial work before

If you go Genny route you need to do a little research depending on your vac - usually it's a 2-4 times the power rating of your vac you need to cope with the power surge/peak, when the other motors kick in. Which for me would mean i'd need 6.5kva or above which is large and pricey and would take even more van space - so I've just continued with custy power - just need a little planning. 

I've worked on some houses with really old electrics. Cable got that hot I had to switch down to 2600watt for those jobs...

Normally so long as you stagger start up, there's no washer/dryer/kettle on there are no issues. 

He doesn't have to buy a Honda gen, you can pick up Chinese gens pretty cheap on eBay.
Don’t think because it was a house with old electrics it would make your lead hot. Since the 3 pin plug and socket was introduced it has been rated at 13A or 3000W. (13x240=3120) The old 3 bar electric heaters were 3000w. That’s why it’s hard to buy anything with a 3 pin 240v plug rated at more than 3000W. If anything more than 3000W it can be safely plug in the cooker main. 

Usually for me i use clients power outlets, but I'm soon to be adding 2 200w solar panels and a split charge etc system on my van so I'm wondering, would a 4000w inverter with 3 110a leisure battery's be theoretically enough to power a 3000w gutter vac..... ?

Usually for me i use clients power outlets, but I'm soon to be adding 2 200w solar panels and a split charge etc system on my van so I'm wondering, would a 4000w inverter with 3 110a leisure battery's be theoretically enough to power a 3000w gutter vac..... ?
I just bought a 6kw generator but it did cost £800

A e Mackintosh takes his  sky vac  industrial drum off to get to the back off awkward buildings,you know when its to tight,Ide be stuffed if i only had the intersepter,but it sves carrying a geny i like that.

Latest Posts

Back