Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Atmospheric water marks on windows?

Hi there. 

I’ve got a few customers where they have certain windows where no matter how much I wash/ rinse with pure they dry with water marks. It’s only like 1 or 2 windows for each customer and I’ve got around 5 customers with this problem. I may be wrong but I’m putting it down to atmospheric marks or stains on the glass from building work.. I’ve ordered some chemicals to treat these marks. Oil flo 141 and A-1 water stain remover. The Oli flo 141 was recommended to me by someone on here to treat silicone stains. 

Has anybody had this problem before and used any of them chemicals to clear it? 

What’s the best way of applying the chemicals? 

Once applied and treated will they need to be applied again, especially if they are atmospheric marks? 

Every time I leave marks I always blame myself and feel like I’m doing a **** job, I want to do the best job I can to make all my customers happy. 

I’ve got a feeling some window cleaners that have customers with windows that leave marks for whatsoever reason, will just sack them off to save the agro. I’ve felt like doing that tbh, but I feel I need to be able to deal with different situations like this to be successful. This is probably why (with me being new), I’ve picked up a few of these houses as no1 else wants them. ?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Luke. 

I’ve got a few jobs that I’ve never been able to get water type marks off. They usually have rendered walls above them or wall hung tiles. I’ve attributed it to run off from the above. My view now is if it can’t be removed with the pink stuff, bar keepers friend or solvent cleaner it’s not coming off. Although I like to do the best I can sometimes it’s just not economical (for you or the customer) to get these stains off. I’ve literally sprayed every chemical available onto one of these examples (tiles above) and it’s not even faded the marks, it’s like the marks are chemically etched in to the glass. 

I’ve got a few jobs that I’ve never been able to get water type marks off. They usually have rendered walls above them or wall hung tiles. I’ve attributed it to run off from the above. My view now is if it can’t be removed with the pink stuff, bar keepers friend or solvent cleaner it’s not coming off. Although I like to do the best I can sometimes it’s just not economical (for you or the customer) to get these stains off. I’ve literally sprayed every chemical available onto one of these examples (tiles above) and it’s not even faded the marks, it’s like the marks are chemically etched in to the glass. 
I appreciate your advice! ? I’ve got 1 like you said with new render above the bi folds, it’s a newly converted cottage. So I’d imagine it’s run off from the render.. How do you treat such windows? Put the chemicals on non scratch scourers and scrub at it? 

Back