Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter cleaning shopping list

dyson123

Hi guys, just starting up gutter cleaning as an add on to the WFP window cleaning.

Looking to set myself up with the safest equipment for the job in terms of ladders etc.

Currently have the Pro Gutter tools, a ladder stand off and am awaiting delivery of the SkyVac Atom.

Looking for recommendations for :

- a ladder that will do 2 storeys safely, brands and size of ladder

- is a microlite needed if I have the standoff already?

- Ankalad or Matrix or both?

Cheers!

Ladders (lyte are good)

Aluminium pole ( to attach pro gutter tools to) moerman is my go to

Handful of scrims ( wipe your hands off dirt)

ladderlimb

Bucket ( black 99p car wash bucket you then clip that on the top of your ladder limb makes gutter cleaning so much easier)

Water container ( make sure that the drainage hole is clear )

Sealants? ( depends on how in-depth your gutter cleaning is, sometimes I’ll but an chaulk around wooden gutter gaps)

Dyson,

Microlites are 'different' from most standoffs as they rest on the roof not the wall, as a result you gain even more stability (resists left/right slide & ladder slipping, out from under you) Worthing getting if you can!

Ladder ensure its' BS standard and not heavy, with good feet, BSP (i think?) Access on ebay do a good range

Ankalads are worth their weight (which is next to nothing ?) - trouble is the company is no longer trading, so hard to buy, but worth trying to pick one up if you can.

Get a ladder matt (4 ~A5 sized rubber mats on a ring) to wedge up a stile on uneven stand - v handy!

Bulldozer broom (screwfix) tidyup

Dustpan and brush tidyup

Hosereel wash down

Stock of gutter rubber seals - once you remove the tilth in the gutters you may find it starts to leak thru the perished seals - if they do just advise custy, leave/show the perished seal and replace and fit new seal - charge for the repair aswell

Ladders (lyte are good)

Aluminium pole ( to attach pro gutter tools to) moerman is my go to

Handful of scrims ( wipe your hands off dirt)

ladderlimb

Bucket ( black 99p car wash bucket you then clip that on the top of your ladder limb makes gutter cleaning so much easier)

Water container ( make sure that the drainage hole is clear )

Sealants? ( depends on how in-depth your gutter cleaning is, sometimes I’ll but an chaulk around wooden gutter gaps)
Cheers, got the aluminum pole, ladder limb and bucket ?

Dyson,

Microlites are 'different' from most standoffs as they rest on the roof not the wall, as a result you gain even more stability (resists left/right slide & ladder slipping, out from under you) Worthing getting if you can!

Ladder ensure its' BS standard and not heavy, with good feet, BSP (i think?) Access on ebay do a good range

Ankalads are worth their weight (which is next to nothing ?) - trouble is the company is no longer trading, so hard to buy, but worth trying to pick one up if you can.

Get a ladder matt (4 ~A5 sized rubber mats on a ring) to wedge up a stile on uneven stand - v handy!

Dustpan and brush tidyup

Hosereel wash down

Stock of gutter rubber seals - once you remove the tilth in the gutters you may find it starts to leak thru the perished seals - if they do just advise custy, leave/show the perished seal and replace and fit new seal - charge for the repair aswell

?

What size ladder would you suggest for 2 storey? I understand you need one that goes a fair bit past the gutter height wise?

Lyte have a three tier 30 footer. You'll reach EVERY second floor with that. For standard gutter heights (first floor) their 2 x 10 metre ladder is ideal. 

Not sure if you had a gutter scoop on that list but you can get them in b and q or homebase. Or Ebay. 

@dyson123 I have an Ankalad Ladder Stabiliser.

Purchased it on ebay a few months back and never got round to using it, as I use my mates scaffold tower when I need to.

You can have it for the price I paid for it, if you want? It's still in the packaging from when I bought it, so it's all packed up and ready to ship.

Let me know ?

Dyson,

Dustpan and brush tidyup

Hosereel wash down

Can I ask where you get your stock of rubber seals please?  This would be very handy to keep on the van.

Can I ask where you get your stock of rubber seals please?  This would be very handy to keep on the van.

Aceman I've got a local s+f+g company - top bloke https://www.baileysbuilding.co.uk/ (he's a custy too) get most of my gutter gear from him - he carrys a good stock of gutter parts (no just one or twp makes like most of the sheds) gasket he stocks square/round/ogee/deepfill ogee - he might pop them in the post to you 

?

What size ladder would you suggest for 2 storey? I understand you need one that goes a fair bit past the gutter height wise?

Dyson, depends on your area I guess (height of houses ) - I've got a 12 rung triple - it's not light but means I can pretty much reach anything I need to. I've got a little giant extreme which pack down small (in the van) but can flip out to reach lower gutters and a lightweight 7step extension/A frame (in the van) this covers most situations.

Most list the working height, best not to step on the top three rungs (as per HSE) so you need to factor that in.

Lyte (Trade) Triples you have to use the stabilization bar at the bottom. Which makes it hard to place them close to walls..

If you get the TB Davies (Trade) you get the stabilization bar plus blanks to insert so you don't have to use the bar. 

Think they're manufactured in factories down the road from each other. Virtually identical. 

Lyte (Trade) Triples you have to use the stabilization bar at the bottom. Which makes it hard to place them close to walls..

If you get the TB Davies (Trade) you get the stabilization bar plus blanks to insert so you don't have to use the bar. 

Think they're manufactured in factories down the road from each other. Virtually identical. 

Actually aren't TB just resellers (i.e don't think they make anything) so likely to be the same ladder with just 'sales' twist - stabiliser bars are great but would be good to be able on occasion in a tight spot to remove ?

Back