Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TDS Water Reading

Joel Bland

Hi guys

Just wondering what kind of TDS Reading is suitable to use before having to change the resin? I obviously aim for zero but I’ve just taken a sample of my water and it’s reading 12 (typical now the tank is full I know) Is this way too high or okay? I’ll change the resin over next time around but thought I’d check before I go throwing away a whole tanks worth 

Cheers 

Hi guys

Just wondering what kind of TDS Reading is suitable to use before having to change the resin? I obviously aim for zero but I’ve just taken a sample of my water and it’s reading 12 (typical now the tank is full I know) Is this way too high or okay? I’ll change the resin over next time around but thought I’d check before I go throwing away a whole tanks worth 

Cheers 
I unknowingly, at the time, used some at 12 on a big quarterly residential job and got no complaints. Dreaded it everytime the phone rang for the next week though. 

I unknowingly, at the time, used some at 12 on a big quarterly residential job and got no complaints. Dreaded it everytime the phone rang for the next week though. 
Its got me wondering how many jobs I’ve done at 12 now ?? So far no complaints so assuming was okay so maaaaaay just risk it tomorrow and see 

Thanks for the reply mate

I've used upto 15 a few times with no complaint too, but make sure you double rinse just to limit any contaminants left on the glass. 

In low morning winter sun I could see tiny white spots when cleaning our windows with 4ppm. I doubt the average customer would notice those.

I usually change resin at 1ppm but if it goes to 2ppm then I make a conscious effort to schedule a resin change asap.

I would hate a customer to call us back and have to do a whole lot of recleans as @Beckon Call says.

I change the resin as soon as I notice a reading  , probably get away with it this time of year unless the sun is low in the sky then it will probably look spotty 

I’ve heard lots of people saying they’ve accidentally used 20+ and be fine, so I guess it must be true. But I change pre filters & resin at 4ppm.
Which is about every 16-20 weeks for me. 

Also, true story, I live in a hard-ish water area (around 250-28ppm) ages ago I was doing a gutter job, using customers tap water. I did all the upvc, I was also doing a window clean, the windows & doors were dirty as it was a first clean I think. So though I’d do all the widows & doors with the tap, then go around at the end with pure and just do the glass. Whether it was the type of glass there or something, but there was any water marks anywhere!. Strange. I still did it with pure anyway afterwards.

Obviously other times on other jobs tap water marks. 

Water in all the different regions of the UK has different minerals in it. The TDS meter does not identify what the different minerals are. So depending on what the minerals are has has a impact of what you can get away with, with a high TDS reading.

Back