Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you use a drain-snake for downpipes?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ChrisTheHelp

Have you used a drain-snake for clearing downpipes from the ground?

I work in an area where a lot of people have galvinised downpipes which can't be taken apart easily. Quite often they're blocked at the second elbow under the fascia, where the gutter vac can't reach. I'm looking for a solution to clear the second (lowr) elbow from the ground. I tried 5mm chimney rods but they're too stiff.

Anyone tried a drain-snake or have other suggestions please. Thanks ??

If you can fit a joint in then all you do is cut through the downpipe with a grinder and dismantle above it. Take it down to the ground and clean it out and then fit it back together by inserting the plastic 70mm joint. That's one of my best tools which is a dewalt battery 125mm grinder. It can take an hour but well worth it and the customer is usually happy to pay after years of leaks.

If you can fit a joint in then all you do is cut through the downpipe with a grinder and dismantle above it. Take it down to the ground and clean it out and then fit it back together by inserting the plastic 70mm joint. That's one of my best tools which is a dewalt battery 125mm grinder. It can take an hour but well worth it and the customer is usually happy to pay after years of leaks.

Thanks 'SCS' ? 

I often do that on the plastic downpipes but people don't like to have their metal glavanized pipes cut. It'd be better if I could shove something up, so to speak. ?

To be honest i’ll only take on UPVC fixtures, anything else i advise a replacement to UPVC as i don’t have an angle grinder nor do i fancy using one they’re dangerous

Thanks 'SCS' ? 

I often do that on the plastic downpipes but people don't like to have their metal glavanized pipes cut. It'd be better if I could shove something up, so to speak. ?

I seen Electricians use the thin white plastic trunking cover which is about an inch wide. Its really good for going round bends and cheap as chips!

I've got a drain cable, paid 12 quid from eBay, connects direct to my karcher, havnt used it yet but can't see why it can't be run up the pipe to clear blockages, my only concern it could make a bit of a mess..

A flexible bike lock works great from the top and doubles up as a big ladder lock for the top of the van in addition to the rhino clamps

Back