Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner Back Pack Trolley Set Up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BWC

[SIZE=17pt]Hi everyone. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]First off thank you to the people on this forum. You have all been invaluable to me starting my business 4 months ago. I have spent hours learning from people here to get me on my way.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I wanted to share my Gardiner Back Pack set up for anyone who may be looking where to start or how to make using a Back Pack easier.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]After hours of research and deliberation I’m happy with how this has turned out both practically and aesthetically. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I started out with just the Back Pack, lugging[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]it around, getting tangled in trailing hose and slowly killing my back. The constant back and forth on bigger jobs to refill from 25l drums drove me insane and added time onto my day. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I decided to have a play play and this is what I’ve come up with so far, but I’m always on the look out and open to new ideas to progress and improve anyway I can. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Collapsible Sack Trolley - £25 from B&Q[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Ratchet Strap - £2 from B&Q[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Garden Hose Reel - £10.85 from B&Q[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Techn Hose Lock x2 32-50mm - £2.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Gardiner Claber Female Aqua Stop x2 - £9.30 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Gardiner 30m Microbore Hose - £17 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]EZ Snap Female Plug 6mm - £4.50 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]EZ Snap Male Plug 6mm - £0.94 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]O Clip 10.8mm - 12.8mm x 2 - £0.98 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]The microbore and connectors will be arriving tomorrow to be fitted and I’m excited to get going with this. The idea is to be able to take the Back Pack from the car, position it somewhere at the half way point of a job to be able to do the work without moving the trolley. Walk out with the hose from my reel, finish and reel back in then onto the next one. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Attaching the hose reel with the hose locks across the top bar, leaving the bottom one free to enable the extend and collapse function on the trolley. When building this reel attach the two bottom bars but leave the big top one off - it has no purpose for what I’m using it for and takes up too much space. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I’ve gone for 30m to start to see how the backpack handles it, but can always extend it further if all goes well. I have about 15m of pole hose to play with too. I wanted this to look professional, not just chucked together. The blue hose reel matches the colour of the backpack, the yellow microbore with the yellow of the backpack. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I’m growing well and saving for a van eventually but for the time being this works well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Hopefully this may help someone, but regardless again thank you to everyone on here [/SIZE][SIZE=17pt]??[/SIZE]

09A3061D-C69D-4351-8EA7-4BE681C677D4.jpeg

@francie I’ve added some hose to it to give it a test. The good thing with the reel is to use it you’re next to the trolley meaning if you’re low on water/weight in the back pack when it comes to reeling in you can just have a foot on the sack truck bottom plate. In terms of feeling out I always refill/top up before I start another house so plenty of weight and no problems mate 

@THL4KEL thanks for the advice mate. I did look at pure freedom but they were out of my price range when I was first starting out. Because I’ve got this set up which allows me to do the job I feel like the cash I could spend on one of them now could go towards a van mount system when I do get a van. It feels like taking a step sideways instead of forwards (I could be wrong) 

[SIZE=17pt]Hi everyone. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]First off thank you to the people on this forum. You have all been invaluable to me starting my business 4 months ago. I have spent hours learning from people here to get me on my way.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I wanted to share my Gardiner Back Pack set up for anyone who may be looking where to start or how to make using a Back Pack easier.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]After hours of research and deliberation I’m happy with how this has turned out both practically and aesthetically. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I started out with just the Back Pack, lugging[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]it around, getting tangled in trailing hose and slowly killing my back. The constant back and forth on bigger jobs to refill from 25l drums drove me insane and added time onto my day. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I decided to have a play play and this is what I’ve come up with so far, but I’m always on the look out and open to new ideas to progress and improve anyway I can. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Collapsible Sack Trolley - £25 from B&Q[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Ratchet Strap - £2 from B&Q[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Garden Hose Reel - £10.85 from B&Q[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Techn Hose Lock x2 32-50mm - £2.50[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Gardiner Claber Female Aqua Stop x2 - £9.30 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Gardiner 30m Microbore Hose - £17 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]EZ Snap Female Plug 6mm - £4.50 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]EZ Snap Male Plug 6mm - £0.94 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]O Clip 10.8mm - 12.8mm x 2 - £0.98 + VAT[/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]The microbore and connectors will be arriving tomorrow to be fitted and I’m excited to get going with this. The idea is to be able to take the Back Pack from the car, position it somewhere at the half way point of a job to be able to do the work without moving the trolley. Walk out with the hose from my reel, finish and reel back in then onto the next one. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Attaching the hose reel with the hose locks across the top bar, leaving the bottom one free to enable the extend and collapse function on the trolley. When building this reel attach the two bottom bars but leave the big top one off - it has no purpose for what I’m using it for and takes up too much space. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I’ve gone for 30m to start to see how the backpack handles it, but can always extend it further if all goes well. I have about 15m of pole hose to play with too. I wanted this to look professional, not just chucked together. The blue hose reel matches the colour of the backpack, the yellow microbore with the yellow of the backpack. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]I’m growing well and saving for a van eventually but for the time being this works well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=17pt]Hopefully this may help someone, but regardless again thank you to everyone on here [/SIZE][SIZE=17pt]??[/SIZE]

View attachment 19247

No univalve to stop the water?

Or rig up a transfer pump, or syphon it.

@mike007 yes I have a univalve now, I got that a month ago. When I started I used the Gardiner on/off valve at the bottom on my pole. 

I have seen Gardiner do a backpack pump but was unsure of its purpose - transferring whilst working or just to transfer each time I run out of water 

@mike007 yes I have a univalve now, I got that a month ago. When I started I used the Gardiner on/off valve at the bottom on my pole. 

I have seen Gardiner do a backpack pump but was unsure of its purpose - transferring whilst working or just to transfer each time I run out of water 
The univalve is a vital water saver...and the pump you mention is a transfer pump to pump water from your spare containers into your empty backpack...being submersible you need to know it will fit through the diameter of your spare containers screw top hole first.

@mike007 the submersible pump could be an option down the line then depending on my progress to getting a van. As it stands I’m a fit lad so the picking up and pouring into the backpack isn’t a problem yet. It was the constant running back to carry either the backpack or full 25l drum that was getting annoying. Now I’ve got the trolley and reel this has cut the problem out. Just took delivery of a smaller garden hose reel today that I forgot I ordered a few weeks back. Just fitted it. A lot more compact and lighter. Once the Gardiner delivery turns up today I’ll post the final results. Thanks for the advice Mike 

New reel fully set up. Handles 40m no problems. The only thing I am going to change is the aqua stop on the inside of the reel for a more premium metal one as sometimes comes loose from the weight of the hose. 

Reel purchased from eBay. £11. Generic brand. 

Some pictures of the trolley extended and collapsed. 

BC2A7E29-0374-44E4-A597-9E2CB27D20A9.jpeg

DE3A6A90-8998-4DD0-ABA6-BE98A39096B9.jpeg

A03CD1A3-CE53-4054-896C-46B4D5D078DD.jpeg

719AABCE-8BC8-49B2-AF13-3894016C7923.jpeg

B5AC62F6-77D3-4E13-AA4F-5097C9EEC56D.jpeg

The univalve is a vital water saver...and the pump you mention is a transfer pump to pump water from your spare containers into your empty backpack...being submersible you need to know it will fit through the diameter of your spare containers screw top hole first.
Yes be careful as the gardiner sub pump is the larger one. It’s great as it fills a back pack in a few seconds and saves lifting heavy barrels all day but it won’t fit into most 25l barrels. The smaller pumps that will fit are ok but no we’re near as fast. I ended up getting rid of the barrels and getting a small 350 tank to fill up out of. It means I can use my larger sub pump and makes filling at home a lot easier too. Used to hat filling multiple barrels after a days work. Don’t forget you’ll need a power supply for it though. I used to hook it up to my vans 12v power supply bit now it’s connected to my van mount measure battery. 

@BWC happy days mate.

Iv got myself an new backpack recently, the old ones there, an I thought about a while ago to take the tank of old backpack, an use the yellow  junction box, reroute the orange hose that goes in bottom of backpack, to yours barrels, an then just switch barrels instead of refilling. 

But that's a good wee setup you have fairplay

@francie If you do that mate I’d love to see the set up. This was just a first go at trying to make life quicker and easier for myself with as little

investment as possible which has worked out great. My next expense will be an SLX 22 I think, I’m using a CLX 27 at the minute 

@francie If you do that mate I’d love to see the set up. This was just a first go at trying to make life quicker and easier for myself with as little

investment as possible which has worked out great. My next expense will be an SLX 22 I think, I’m using a CLX 27 at the minute 
Will do @BWC gona try it next few weeks.

I started with a CLX 18 nearly four years ago an still going strong lol

Save up for a pure freedom trolley, will save stress on your back pouring 22 litres into the Gardiner backpack.
I don't lug barrells around any more, I don't use reels anymore and don't lug microbore around anymore, got a tank and pump through a fuel gun takes 40 secs to fill a pack got one 10 metre rhino hose, a 15 metre and a 20 metre they can be clicked together with slicks or used individually it's simple and efficient, used those folding mechanism trolley's before the swirling water breaks the wheel hubs so I renforced a shopping trolley.

wfp 2.jpg

wfp.jpg

wfp4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't lug barrells around any more, I don't use reels anymore and don't lug microbore around anymore, got a tank and pump through a fuel gun takes 40 secs to fill a pack got one 10 metre rhino hose, a 15 metre and a 20 metre they can be clicked together with slicks or used individually it's simple and efficient, used those folding mechanism trolley's before the swirling water breaks the wheel hubs so I renforced a shopping trolley.

View attachment 19366

View attachment 19367

View attachment 19368
Do you use a van? I’m working out of my car at the minute so a tank isn’t really an option for me at the minute. Good idea though 

Further update with some modifications I’ve made. Nothing drastic just better parts. 

Brass swivel elbow 3/4 inch from Gardiner now on the outside of the reel with the orange cleaner aqua stop connected into it. The plastic aqua stop started popping off when I reeled in or out. The aqua stop now plugs into the brass elbow. 

Inside of the reel I have used the quick release straight through microbore coupling from Gardiner. You will need a microbore I clip to secure this to the microbore hose. I’ll attach the pictures below. This has solved all the little niggles and it’s working perfectly! 

26324025-2404-4426-835D-5C6022CF1FFE.jpeg

View attachment 19366

View attachment 19367

View attachment 19368
Your one step ahead of me. I fill my barrels in the car now using a 1” ID transfer hose (5mins to fill eight barrels) so they only get lifted full from my car onto my PF trolley which for me at present is no problem. When they go back in the car they’re empty. If this ever becomes a problem for me, your setup will likely be my next move.

That's a good cheap set-up but you have to be careful that you don't waste too much time penny pinching as the pounds coming the other way will pass you by.  Efficiency is what makes the job easier, faster, more profitable.

I'm getting bored of moving barrels about now, muscles are bigger but having to change a barrel half way through a house clean just interrupts the rhythm.  Also pulling the trolley in and out of the van just seems like unnecessary effort.  

My next plan is to get a water tank for the van and get a reel with pole hose.  I'll still use the trolley but I'll leave it in the van clamped to the floor and put the intake pipe into the tank.  I'll get a univalve on the pole and I'll drill a hole in the van door for the hose to go through.  

This should mean that I park up, grab the pole, shut the van doors and lock them, connect the pole hose to the real hose and then charge to the first window and get cracking.  The thought of doing that without having to wheel a trolley about, no changing barrels through a job and no more lifting barrels in and out of the van and changing them on the trolley, just seems like it will be a lot less effort.  On the jobs when I need the trolley with me I can just unclamp it and bring a few barrels in the back of the van but for 80 to 90% of the time I shouldn't need the trolley with me.

There are times when the trolley is really useful.  Like on first cleans when using degreaser you can adjust the controller to 10 just to keep everything wet while you're scrubbing the dirt before whacking it up to 60 to finish.  If the controller was in the van this would mean going back to the van to change the controller setting every 5 minutes.  Or when doing fascia's, same thing, adjusting the controller settings for scrubbing and rinsing.

Or when parking at the property is not an option and you have to park down the road.

So a trolley fixed in the van with the option of taking it out when required is the best of both worlds imo.

Latest Posts

Back