Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Crittall windows - poor state

WCF

Help Support WCF:

NewGuy

Hi

I have picked up a few jobs where I could do with advice please.

I have got a few properties on old houses with crittall windows - one has metal frames with flaky paint and the other has wooden frames that also has flaky paint and rotten wood.

Are there special brushes to use with these windows, or special techniques (such as gentle cleaning on the glass only and avoiding the frames as much as possible).

I explained to a new customer today that the paint was flaking off on his historical windows and that perhaps he might want to rethink using a WFP system to ensure his frames do not get ruined.  I did suggest I could try one more time by using a flocked brush that may be more gentle (I used the Ultimate medium today) and focus only on the glass and we can reassess on the next job.

He was happy with that suggestion but I'm curious as how you deal with these?

Another job, the one with rotten wood crittall frames actually had tiny bits of wood breaking off in some places.  I'm really thinking I need to stop attending this house.  The windows are original and the property looks to be over 200 years old.  I'm not sure wfp is designed for these types of windows!

Thanks.

Hi

I have got a few properties on old houses with crittall windows - one has metal frames with flaky paint and the other has wooden frames that also has flaky paint and rotten wood.

Are there special brushes to use with these windows, or special techniques (such as gentle cleaning on the glass only and avoiding the frames as much as possible).

I explained to a new customer today that the paint was flaking off on his historical windows and that perhaps he might want to rethink using a WFP system to ensure his frames do not get ruined.  I did suggest I could try one more time by using a flocked brush that may be more gentle (I used the Ultimate medium today) and focus only on the glass and we can reassess on the next job.

Another job, the one with rotten wood crittall frames actually had tiny bits of wood breaking off in some places.  I'm really thinking I need to stop attending this house.  The windows are original and the property looks to be over 200 years old.  I'm not sure wfp is designed for these types of windows!

Thanks.
Shame these old frames are terrible cos the glass usually sheets like a dream. 

I've had the same issue and just wont take on old broken wooden framework/paint houses. Dont feel I can guarantee a perfect finish and if poling high it's even harder. 

If you can do all framework first and rinse an inch below the top of the glass at the end, this is your best bet. Brush head close to glass to avoid overspray

Hi

Thanks.
Clean them trad if it’s safe to do so. You could end up ruining the windows if they are in such a bad state. I have one similar but the guy insists we don’t use ladders so no option really. They never turn out right as the frames are so bad and porus they just leak out and run everywhere but he’s fine with it. We do trad the bottoms and they turn out a lot better. Also get a lot of water leaking in but around he’s fine with it.

Back