Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bloody forecasters

Chris34

Took today off as forecast was for gusts up to 57km today, after yesterday and experiencing windows getting bits stuck on the wet surface I didn't want to chance it, thought Friday was looking better.  So what do we have?  I'd say the gusts are about 1km per hour, it's a perfect day for cleaning windows.   Ahhhhhhhhhhh.  Just know that tomorrow will be hell now.  

How could they get it so wrong?  Unbelievable.  This is when texting the night before doesn't always work, the ability to just go out and work when the going is good would be a good option now.  

Lol we were the opposite very strong winds this is the side of the hotel and it was a bit sheltered the front was a nightmare got it done in the end but if the forecast  is right we will be there again next week doing the lot again 

127C537E-6F82-4DED-8F14-1E1098B5D056.jpeg

10C583D2-1638-498C-BD7D-46B4C2395842.jpeg

62421C05-9838-4497-BB93-9BDE1936AE92.jpeg

2BD2F185-92B6-435B-9D08-10DD10F72D6B.jpeg

C6A4831B-311F-45BF-A5D7-ACA437E71D30.jpeg

CEDB9793-4BC4-470B-AD80-54D8D38B8AAD.jpeg

Took today off as forecast was for gusts up to 57km today, after yesterday and experiencing windows getting bits stuck on the wet surface I didn't want to chance it, thought Friday was looking better.  So what do we have?  I'd say the gusts are about 1km per hour, it's a perfect day for cleaning windows.   Ahhhhhhhhhhh.  Just know that tomorrow will be hell now.  

How could they get it so wrong?  Unbelievable.  This is when texting the night before doesn't always work, the ability to just go out and work when the going is good would be a good option now.  
ive got two 4 day weekends to look forward to now,im off til tuesday!.........all my work is up to date(bar a few longer frequency jobs)..my vans booked in for a service on monday......ive literally steamrollered through my work this week...ive got a 3 day week next week and a 4 day week the week after before im back to 5 days a week for a few weeks.......

i keep an eye on forecasts but ill still make my mind up at the start of my working day....its very rare that i have to sack the day off...it happens around 1 or 2 times a year(if that).....if ive sent texts to  any customers then i just text them again saying ill be around tomorrow instead due to the bad weather....

ive got this window cleaning sussed........after 27 years!?...i absolutely love modern window cleaning,wfp,no collecting,no ladders.round software,hot water,electric reels......its never been a better time to be a window cleaner!

My week so far

Monday: sorry customers the wind is so strong still i cant clean as i wont be able to clean to the standard im happy with.

Galr force all day

Tuesday: sorry customer same as yesterday

Again gail force winds

Wednesday: got my work done but froze my plums off

Wind chill of -1 but not to bad

Thursday: sorry folk due to rain its same as Monday/Tuesday

8.30am p1ssing down and forcast all day, 10am bright as a button but work cancelled ?

Tomorrow: ??

I'm powerwashing a large driveway tomorrow. Its even better in the rain, softens everything up. Put my advertising sandwich boards in the van because its a good catchment area. Should complete it in 4hrs and then off to see blocked gutters and downpipes along the road a bit.

My week so far

Monday: sorry customers the wind is so strong still i cant clean as i wont be able to clean to the standard im happy with.

Galr force all day

Tuesday: sorry customer same as yesterday

Again gail force winds

Wednesday: got my work done but froze my plums off

Wind chill of -1 but not to bad

Thursday: sorry folk due to rain its same as Monday/Tuesday

8.30am p1ssing down and forcast all day, 10am bright as a button but work cancelled ?

Tomorrow: ??
ive never had a week like that since the "beast from the east" last year when i had nearly a full week off due to snow and ice.....

I personally think the weather presenters overhype the conditions, so that it sells as a story, how many times have the forecast bad or good weather and been completely off the mark. It's got to the point where I don't watch it now or even check on my app, just play it by ear each day. I have also learned not to send cancellation texts until the end of the day. Now.... What's the weather looking like tomorrow? 

I might have a look at a forecast but I always try and get out working before deciding it's too bad , obviously if its horrendous before I leave I knock it on the head but I don't really lose much time to the weather,  this past fortnight and next week has been a pain in the A though to be fair !

I never text my customers to tell them I am cleaning their windows. I just turn up and clean them once a month and if gate locked i nip over with a ladder on each side. Never had one complaint, one did text to ask when I was coming because I was late due to the van getting resprayed.

I might have a look at a forecast but I always try and get out working before deciding it's too bad , obviously if its horrendous before I leave I knock it on the head but I don't really lose much time to the weather,  this past fortnight and next week has been a pain in the A though to be fair !
i still go out as normal in the morning even if its raining hard before i leave...often i find that once i get to work it clears up 9 times out of 10 and i can crack on......

I always text then cry off if not suitable to work in.
I do the same. Sometimes I get the "Are you mad" text back. I just tell em the forecast is often wrong, usually I'm right ?‍♂️

I do find that I get more cancellations when the weather is like this though, it's sort of averaging one a day at the moment where it usually averages about one a week.

i still go out as normal in the morning even if its raining hard before i leave...often i find that once i get to work it clears up 9 times out of 10 and i can crack on......
Aye, good plan. Take an iPad and put your feet up in the van if it is too much.

After every news bulletin,national and local we have a weather  forecast....phone apps with weather forecasts, internet with weather forecasts....We have "experts" who make very good money informing us what will happen with the weather using millions of pounds worth of hardware, satellites,super computers etc...and they can,t get it right.....and they are still in a job!!!! Unbelievable.

Now that is a job, bloody hell all that glass.  Gorgeous place to be working though.
Reckon could do that with a Gardiner Backpack plus one spare barrel (lol)

It's been a rubbish week weather wise and not taken too much heed of the so called forecast so just cracked on and got it finished, and if truth be told they are more dirty now than ever.

I've not received any complaints (to my face lol)

I think most appreciate we have a living to make.

We cant all sit at home and wait for April.

forecast for this past week was shocking 40-50mph winds rain, sleet and snow and the forecast wasn't far off, i clashed off 102 jobs in 3 1/2 days, as half man, half machine ??

Last edited by a moderator:
You just crack on. Whatever the weather. Obviously not in 60mph winds but the storm was on Saturday and Sunday. All we had on Monday was a 15 minute spell of heavy rain and gusts. If we’d cried off on the basis of the forecast we’d have lost 4 days income. Mad! 

After every news bulletin,national and local we have a weather  forecast....phone apps with weather forecasts, internet with weather forecasts....We have "experts" who make very good money informing us what will happen with the weather using millions of pounds worth of hardware, satellites,super computers etc...and they can,t get it right.....and they are still in a job!!!! Unbelievable.
The weather is so localised so they can't get it right for every single town, the weather station for my area is about 20 miles away and they give the same forecast for every town across the county I believe on the bbc weather app, so it's way off, I watched Countryfile ages ago and they got a bbc forecaster to give a forecast and put a guy in a motor to drive from town to town to check if he was right with his forecast and more often than not he was wrong or it was 50/50 

I get up and take the dog out and judge it for myself, if I am confident I can do a days work I fill the van get out and crack on. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back