Chris34

Bloody forecasters

Iron Giant
On 14/02/2020 at 07:38, mike007 said:

After every news bulletin,national and local we have a weather  forecast....phone apps with weather forecasts, internet with weather forecasts....We have "experts" who make very good money informing us what will happen with the weather using millions of pounds worth of hardware, satellites,super computers etc...and they can,t get it right.....and they are still in a job!!!! Unbelievable.

The weather is so localised so they can't get it right for every single town, the weather station for my area is about 20 miles away and they give the same forecast for every town across the county I believe on the bbc weather app, so it's way off, I watched Countryfile ages ago and they got a bbc forecaster to give a forecast and put a guy in a motor to drive from town to town to check if he was right with his forecast and more often than not he was wrong or it was 50/50 

I get up and take the dog out and judge it for myself, if I am confident I can do a days work I fill the van get out and crack on. 

Edited by Iron Giant

RWCleaning

Yes forecasts can be quite annoying, I never ever take any notice more than 24hrs in advance. But I’ve looked at 6/7pm before while booking in work, and then it’s been very different 12/13hrs later when I wake up.
Thankfully Dorset seems to have missed a lot of the bad stuff this week, just Monday morning off, then the first couple of hours Thursday morning. I’ll work in light rain, but not heavy rain.
But the whole weekend down here looks bad, which will probably end up being right! 

What weather forecasts do you use?

Iron Giant
41 minutes ago, RWCleaning said:

Yes forecasts can be quite annoying, I never ever take any notice more than 24hrs in advance. But I’ve looked at 6/7pm before while booking in work, and then it’s been very different 12/13hrs later when I wake up.
Thankfully Dorset seems to have missed a lot of the bad stuff this week, just Monday morning off, then the first couple of hours Thursday morning. I’ll work in light rain, but not heavy rain.
But the whole weekend down here looks bad, which will probably end up being right! 

What weather forecasts do you use?

I use the bbc weather app and watch the local weather as a rough guide, despite it saying 50mph winds for Tuesday or gusty up to I still sent out texts the night before with the first words been weather permitting, I had to dodge the wind as best I could that day and covered 4 different estates across town cherry picking the sheltered areas, I still managed 27 jobs despite it been the worst day of the week for the wind 

RWCleaning
Just now, Iron Giant said:

I use the bbc weather app and watch the local weather as a rough guide, despite it saying 50mph winds for Tuesday or gusty up to I still sent out texts the night before with the first words been weather permitting, I had to dodge the wind as best I could that day and covered 4 different estates across town cherry picking the sheltered areas, I still managed 27 jobs despite it been the worst day of the week for the wind 

I would of done 28, but 27 is ok I suppose 

Iron Giant
6 minutes ago, RWCleaning said:

I would of done 28, but 27 is ok I suppose 

There was quite bit of driving and I ran out of water otherwise it would have been 29 😅

RWCleaning
49 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

There was quite bit of driving and I ran out of water otherwise it would have been 29 😅

Haha yeh.

I would of been tighter on the water and drove around faster so would of bashed out 30 🙄

dazmond
3 minutes ago, RWCleaning said:

Haha yeh.

I would of been tighter on the water and drove around faster so would of bashed out 30 🙄

I would ve stayed in one place and bashed out 10 jobs in 4 hours at 3 times the price  of your work and be finished by 3pm.....🤣

With 200L left over.....

Iron Giant
16 minutes ago, dazmond said:

I would ve stayed in one place and bashed out 10 jobs in 4 hours at 3 times the price  of your work and be finished by 3pm.....🤣

With 200L left over.....

All depends on the work to be done, I had ten 3 storey townhouses in one block, they simply couldn't be done in high winds and more to do on each day of this past week 

scottish cleaning service

I think the only 3.5 ton van that can take 1600kgs or more is the Renault. If anyone knows of others then let me know please.

Part Timer
Just now, scottish cleaning service said:

I think the only 3.5 ton van that can take 1600kgs or more is the Renault. If anyone knows of others then let me know please.

The Ducato has the highest payload as it doesn't need the Adblue tank

scottish cleaning service
14 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

The Ducato has the highest payload as it doesn't need the Adblue tank

Lets us know how you get on with it PT. My neighbour has a 4 year old Peugeot Boxer and the adblue thing went on it. Would be about 2 grand but he got a part from China for £50 to make it work again.

Part Timer
4 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Lets us know how you get on with it PT. My neighbour has a 4 year old Peugeot Boxer and the adblue thing went on it. Would be about 2 grand but he got a part from China for £50 to make it work again.

Had it 9 months, just clocked 10k miles and everything up to now is good.

Iron Giant
23 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

This is relevant to this post how?

Davy G

I use a free weather app on my Android phone. It's called, Windy. I find it to be very good. I use it for work and for sea kayaking. It's used by light aircraft pilots and mariners as well.

The menu includes amongst other things : pressure isobars, wind, rain, wind gusts, reported wind, temperature, reported temperature, radar and satellite. There are also other choices such as sea swell predictions for anyone interested in what's going on at sea.

it's very easy and pleasant to use, and mostly fairly accurate.

It can take a bit of time to get used to it as there's so much on there, but for me it's the go to source for information as I can track weather and sea conditions from hundreds of miles out in the Atlantic and watch them approach.

⚓🙂

Ash87
2 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

Some of the machinery at the met office was dropped off in a Renault van 🤣

Iron Giant
1 hour ago, Ash87 said:

Some of the machinery at the met office was dropped off in a Renault van 🤣

Or is he looking for a bigger van, to install a satellite and weather forecasting tech inside, so he can add weather forecasting to his long list of services 🤣 

Edited by Iron Giant
spelling

maxbruffell
2 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

Sometimes I'm left absolutely baffled by the tangent Scottish can take a thread on. I swear he has a reply in his head to a different thread but just clicks on the first thing he sees 😂

Chris34
40 minutes ago, maxbruffell said:

Sometimes I'm left absolutely baffled by the tangent Scottish can take a thread on. I swear he has a reply in his head to a different thread but just clicks on the first thing he sees 😂

Yeah I agree, I'm going to b&q shortly to get a few bits to tidy my van up, putting a ramp access in, don't know whether it will work but we will see   ; )

P4dstar
23 minutes ago, Chris34 said:

Yeah I agree, I'm going to b&q shortly to get a few bits to tidy my van up, putting a ramp access in, don't know whether it will work but we will see   ; )

Mozzarella stuffed burgers for tea tonight! Then I'm off to watch Sonic the Hedgehog at the cinema.

Edited by P4dstar