Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any way to speed up pure water production?

Kenzor

I have: outside tap -> RO system -> extremely long water outlet hose because my van is far away -> DI vessel -> into tank.

Can I put a pump somewhere?

I have: outside tap -> RO system -> extremely long water outlet hose because my van is far away -> DI vessel -> into tank.

Can I put a pump somewhere?
What set up do you have ? Merlin ? 4040 ? Etc depending on tap pressure I would suggest a booster pump we produce 1000 ltr of pure in around 2 hours 

What set up do you have ? Merlin ? 4040 ? Etc depending on tap pressure I would suggest a booster pump we produce 1000 ltr of pure in around 2 hours 
I use this.

If I could reach 1000 ltr in 2 hours that would be great.

We’ve recently been put on a water meter so really need to fill the van as fast as possible.

image.jpg

I use this.

We’ve recently been put on a water meter so really need to fill the van as fast as possible.

View attachment 19291

With out being rude you will never accomplish that with a set up like this one , we have twin 4040 ros and an 800 ltr per hour booster pump , you could improve production rate with yours by adding a booster pump but Ime afrade I am not familiar with your set up so couldn’t recommend one  try phoning the people you bought it off they should be able to advise you what you need , alternatively ring vyair on the number on the filter .

I use this.

View attachment 19291
Is that not something like 350gpd, filling your van quickly won't make much, if any, difference at all to your water bill. Usually a production rate of 200-300 litres an hour is as much as people can produce. For this you'll need a 40/40 R/O and a booster pump

Is that not something like 350gpd, filling your van quickly won't make much, if any, difference at all to your water bill. Usually a production rate of 200-300 litres an hour is as much as people can produce. For this you'll need a 40/40 R/O and a booster pump
It takes about 8+ hours to fill a 450ltr tank at the moment which is 8 hours of waste water going down the drain, surely filling the van faster would mean less time wasting water? I’m fairly new to the whole thing, could you link a suitable pump for me?

It takes about 8+ hours to fill a 450ltr tank at the moment which is 8 hours of waste water going down the drain, surely filling the van faster would mean less time wasting water? I’m fairly new to the whole thing, could you link a suitable pump for me?
It doesn't mean that, as your pure to waste ratio will be about the same, usually somewhere between 60% waste and 40% pure to 50-50. I have no knowledge of your filtration system so can't help regarding booster pump 

I doubt filling quicker using a booster pump will de crease the waist produced it should be similar just means you are forcing more water through the filters over a shorter time , my water  consumption didn’t alter noticeably when I got a booster . 

https://purefreedom.co.uk/?s=booster+pump I have the pump on this page you will need the transformer as well and also some extra JG hose the same size as on your R/O to connect it all up, it will need mounting on a board and it can't run continually 45 minutes max 15 mins off I use a timer switch, be warned it ain't the quietest thing to run 

It doesn't mean that, as your pure to waste ratio will be about the same, usually somewhere between 60% waste and 40% pure to 50-50. I have no knowledge of your filtration system so can't help regarding booster pump 

This r/o already has a booster pump.

I don’t think an additional booster would be needed. RO membranes are designed to work at different pressures, you should find this out first on your system, this will be printed on the filter. The internal folded structure of the RO will vary depending on its intended operating pressure. If your pressure is too low for the type of RO most of the water will not get through and will flush out of the waste. It is also important to ensure that filtrate is removed with regular flushing of the RO this can affect the performance. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could reach 1000 ltr in 2 hours that would be great
Yeah it would! ???

You can either...

• Suck it up
  • Purify into an IBC and transfer to your van later. Thus allowing the RO to run constantly
  • Upgrade your RO. Fair warning, I have a decent LPM rate but would struggle to make 300l an hour.

This r/o already has a booster pump.
Well spotted sir, I didn't see it, @Kenzor that R/O producing at the rate it is for this time of the year with the water been around 10c  it's at it's full capacity for pure production if you are in a soft water area with a tap tds of around 60-70ppm or lower as you are in Somerset then a DI vessel  https://daqua.co.uk/divessels.htm would reduce your water bill 

R/O's work 2-1 so 2 litres of waste down the drain to 1 litre of pure in total everyday you are using 1,350 ltrs of water which you will be billed for by your water company a di vessel will simply produce pure so 450ltrs of water per day as needed 

You can either...

• Suck it up
  • Purify into an IBC and transfer to your van later. Thus allowing the RO to run constantly
  • Upgrade your RO. Fair warning, I have a decent LPM rate but would struggle to make 300l an hour.

@Kenzor. I think this basically sums up your options.

As others have said, your pure to waste ratio is an important part of processing water as @Iron Giant has commented on.

In a soft to medium water area you can get away with a 60% to 40% waste to pure ratio (60% waste.) No matter what r/o you have and how you boost the water pressure that ratio will be adjusted to suit that ratio. (You need a waste gate that you can adjust.)

If you are in a soft water area then a di vessel may be a solution, but your resin bill is going to increase. You will also be relying on manufactured product to process water. That's not always best as we have experienced a resin shortage a while ago.

You need pure water to run your business. Don't get fixated on the water meter. Others have water meters and are still earning a good living window cleaning. Its not a train smash.

Personally, its time to upgrade your purification system.

From personal experience a 450gpd r/o will keep a single operator in plenty of water if he is processing that into a 1000 ibc tank. It will take around 36 hours to fill it but once done it will keep up with your daily needs. We had ours on a float switch. Since upgrading to a 4040 we have no water problems. Our 4040 without booster on 50psi water pressure produces 2lpm of pure in summer, less in winter.

Filling a 1000 liter IBC tank will mean using 2500 liters of water at a ratio of 60/40. Last time I looked Northumberian Water were charging £6 a cubic meter for water. So producing 1000 liters of water would cost me £15. If we use 450 liters a day, that's less than £7.50 of water. At 15 houses a day each house would cost around 50p. If you increased every homes bill by a £1 you have covered your water bill.

Some water authorities will allow a sewage rebate under certain conditions. Ours won't but as none of us are on meters we haven't pressed for a rebate on the pure we take away. 

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/28404-water-billing-question/?tab=comments#comment-404707

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent approximately £300 on my r/o setup and I can produce 1000ltrs in around 10 hours, not every good setup has to be bought expensively... Do your homework

Back