Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

One for employers

Mx19

This ones for those of you that employ full time and have done the figures: How much do you need to make per employee per day  to turn a profit? This is on the impression that an employee is 100% legal and out on their own (not working with you)

I’ve got some time on my hands and trying to crunch numbers, think I’m covering everything but not 100% if I’m missing anything. I understand this may be a touchy subject so not expecting a huge amount of replies, you can pm as well if preferred!

thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, really? so say you pay him (or her) £80 a day for example, then you need them to be earning £240? Yeh thinking about it thats quite do-able, but even so, surely you'd still be quids in if they only did £150 a day? I dont know as I dont employ, but would be nice maybe one day to have someone else do the graft whilst doing the paperwork/price up jobs etc.

Hummmmm this is a difficult one there is no right or wrong answer , provided you cover your expenses some would be happy making £50 per day per man others would want £200 , I dont have a magic formula some days the profit from an employee  is low and some days it’s very high , depends on the work being done I know ones who make a minimum of £100 profit up to £500 per person per day, I know it’s not difficult to earn 1 k per day on commercial work for two people , but doing that 5 days a week 48 weeks  a year is a different matter 

Hummmmm this is a difficult one there is no right or wrong answer , provided you cover your expenses some would be happy making £50 per day per man others would want £200 , I dont have a magic formula some days the profit from an employee  is low and some days it’s very high , depends on the work being done I know ones who make a minimum of £100 profit up to £500 per person per day, I know it’s not difficult to earn 1 k per day on commercial work for two people , but doing that 5 days a week 48 weeks  a year is a different matter 

All it takes is for an employee to smash the van and get injured. If your were making Less than £100 a day then its not worth the risk. It all comes down to risk verses reward, i would say a company would need to make £200 a day profit per employee to feel safe to employ. fwiw

How much he needs to make is dependant on the cost base. If he's driving around in an old cheap van using CLX poles and filling up from a water tank then he will need to make a lot less than someone driving a new van with a Grippa van filtration system with hot water and using extreme poles.

Try and set them up as cheap as possible, without risking reliability, and you will have the greatest chance to maximise your profits

How much he needs to make is dependant on the cost base. If he's driving around in an old cheap van using CLX poles and filling up from a water tank then he will need to make a lot less than someone driving a new van with a Grippa van filtration system with hot water and using extreme poles.

Try and set them up as cheap as possible, without risking reliability, and you will have the greatest chance to maximise your profits
 Its the rickshaw and bucket/scrim for him then ?‍♂️

Thanks all, that is kind of what I was thinking. What I was getting at I guess is gear and van wear aside how much it will cost you to put someone on the road? 
so for example:

wages, employers ni, insurance etc... once this is figured out you can then figure out how much work is needed to gain the profit you’re after if that makes sense?

Base salary should be about a 3rd of turnover in my experience.

And profit about 50% 

So turnover 240 pay 80 basic. looking to make 120 pre tax profit (the other 40 would be all other running costs, holidays, sick, n.i, Insurance, fuel, the list goes on) 

Base salary should be about a 3rd of turnover in my experience.

And profit about 50% 

So turnover 240 pay 80 basic. looking to make 120 pre tax profit (the other 40 would be all other running costs, holidays, sick, n.i, Insurance, fuel, the list goes on) 
Brilliant, exactlyl what I was after. Thanks mate!

Back