Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Will using an SLX 18 speed up my work

BWC

Morning everyone.

I'm currently using a second hand CLX 27 for all of my work. I’m thinking of getting a 18ft pole to use for the majority of my work. Do you think getting an SLX will speed my work up? Or just get a CLX 18 - 22.  

Ive spent hours looking and researching.

Ive only been at this 4 months but growth is good so maybe it’s time for a new smaller pole, especially for them tight spaces. 

Thanks for your advice in advance 

100%. Just having a lighter better quality pole will in its self speed you up while also saving your joints wrestling about with a flimsy oversized pole. Another avenue to look down is to save your cash and buy a bigger slx and remove sections that way you still have the height there when you need it and can add then back on for high stuff 

@Perryb91 that’s a good option mate. I was just apprehensive because the base section on the poles are insulated and isn’t recommended. Not sure if this is something a lot of people do. That’s why I was thinking a SLX or CLX 18, smaller and lighter than the CLX27 and for any bigger jobs I’ve still got the CLX27 to reach them 

@windowgleamtrowbridge thanks mate. it’s exciting to get a smaller, lighter and easier pole

to use. I’m thinking of using the CLX 27 on the higher jobs and then getting either the SLX or CLX 18 for the vast majority of my work. 

@BWC definitely an option mate just get an 18 and keep the clx for your big work no harm what so ever if you have a fair amount easy jobs without connys and extensions to get over. Theres far worse ways to spend your money I'm sure all the best ??

@scottish cleaning service Would you go for the 18 or 22? The extensions aren’t cheap are they! Just had a look ?

Don't know why I went for 18 and also bought the fifth extension, maybe I wanted both rubber ends where the hose goes in. ? Anyhow., would defo go for the 22 or 18 with the 5th extension. If you go for the 18 then you will only be frustrated trying to reach those single dormer windows on new houses.

I went from an SLX 25 to an 18 and found I still needed the 25 for maybe 20% of my work. So when  I accidentally broke a section of the 18, instead of replacing the section I moved to a 22. Now I use the 25 for only about 2% of my work.

@Marko067 that has made my mind up for me then. What sort of reach on a average house are you getting? Does it come close to fascias and guttering etc. Like I said I have a CLX 27 for the higher work when needed but intrigued to see the SLX 22 in action now. Thanks for the advice mate 

I have just got an SLX 22 from using a SLX 39 as my regular pole and WOW! What a difference! I would say an 18’ is enough for the majority of work, although it wont reach certain windows. I experimented and extended my 39’ pole to reach my own first floor windows at a good angle, then measure my pole and it measured 14’. So an 18’ will get to most regular windows. The lightness of a smaller, fully carbon pole will make it feel so much easier. I can only imagine what an extreme will feel like! Next year........

@brianbadonde first off.. loving the forum name.  I think it’s deffo going to be a SLX 22 then mate. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the pole and that size for most jobs. Would a 22 get to some second floor windows do you think or fascias and guttering?

@brianbadonde first off.. loving the forum name.  I think it’s deffo going to be a SLX 22 then mate. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the pole and that size for most jobs. Would a 22 get to some second floor windows do you think or fascias and guttering?
It wont reach 2nd floor windows I don’t think (I haven’t actually tried) with out standing really close to the wall. I have already cleaned gutters and fascias with it on 1 storey buildings so can vouch it is long enough and I stand a tad under 6’. If you are cleaning fascias above an extension or the like then you will probably be better served with something longer

Last edited by a moderator:
@brianbadonde for anything further out or over obstructions ill use the CLX 27 instead. Then eventually I’ll look to get an extension for the extra length when needed on the SLX. Looking forward to the feeling and seeing the difference in performance. Thinking of getting a 35cm brush with it too to speed the work up further. I think the universal will be best as I need a good all rounder for all widow types 

Save yourself the £35 and 280g, get the SLX18 and use your CLX27 for anything you can't reach with the SLX18, by getting the 22 you will be carrying around a section all day that you may not need. I use the 18 as an everyday pole and it's great for 90% of work, the other 10% I use extensions.

SLX 22 is a superb pole. We are just able to reach third level windows on our round but as others have said you need to be close under. As a later advance I'd suggest giving a proper try to an Extreme Sill Brush with 100 degree fan jets and a swivel. I rejected the swivel when I first tried it as I couldn't make a hand of it, it felt awkward and alien. I gave it another try after a few weeks and this time I persevered and mastered it. The key, I found is a light, fluid grip on the pole and getting used to twisting the pole to keep the brush on the glass. Definitely faster and more stylish with a swivel once used to it and relaxed with it. 

@Davy G I’ve used the swivel now on the old CLX for around 3 months and completely agree. Also for working with that size pole in tight areas it’s allowed me to actually reach them areas where without it I’d be struggling! Is the extreme sill brush a good all rounder? I do a mixture of windows including leaded so it needs to not cause any damage to them! I only use pencil jets and my pump is a backpack trolley set up I’ve put together.  Do they perform well? 

1CEC8216-B7E3-4C4A-8E28-BCB78C131B9E.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back