Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Traditional at ground level

Baker

Hi guys, just starting window cleaning alongside my full time job until it hopefully picks up enough to give that up. I've done a few jobs for family so far using my wfp system but find I'm getting a better clean from using the traditional tools at ground level, am I wasting my time doing that or is that a done thing? 

Once you pick up speed wfp it will be quicker to do the whole lot.

I have nearly 30 years trad experience so am very quick or I wouldn't bother. 

Hi guys, just starting window cleaning alongside my full time job until it hopefully picks up enough to give that up. I've done a few jobs for family so far using my wfp system but find I'm getting a better clean from using the traditional tools at ground level, am I wasting my time doing that or is that a done thing? 
Entirely personal choice and you are not wasting your time if you are doing a good job. I Trad bottoms and use WFP for upper windows (Gardiner backpack). Reason I  WFP Uppers is that I used to ensure my safety when using ladders and so for certain jobs had to use mats to level my ladder, sometimes needed to use outriggers etc...all took time to position and carry from the van etc.So decided to WFP uppers (of course costs in producing pure water is a factor) so to keep water consumption down...and also do a good job (personal opinion) I Trad downstairs. I and also it is my personal opinion think the customer percieves he/she is getting better value for the service when seeing me Trad the bottom windows.

I believe being able to say you Trad is a selling point also, and you will soon discover cleaning windows for a living does definately requires skill.

Cheers Mike, 

I was thinking along those lines of the customer getting value for money, personally I think it took me just as long as if I were to have used the pole, I think I'll keep doing trad on ground floor until I see a reason not to. 

Thanks for your reply 

I often do exactly that. Work my way along the road and wfp all the upstairs windows, put the kit away and trad all the ground floor.

There are a few benefits of working this way the big one being it saves a lot of my pure water. I don't make my own but collect about 700 litres from a supplier who I clean windows for on their unit in return for the free supply. Takes me a minimum of one hour to collect and often longer. The other benefit is I never get daft customers saying "are you going to wipe the windows, they're all wet"! Doesn't matter how many times I've explained how pure water window cleaning works, they still come out with this nonsense, I'm convinced they're not understanding when I explain the process. By the time I've finished the downstairs and knock to give them the bill the upstairs is dry so never get that issue. Lastly, sometimes I think the tradding can be quicker, especially on patio doors or large glass areas. 

Some houses are quicker to wfp all over, especially if it's a single property and not a run of houses and the windows are small or have lots of glazing bars (Georgian style I think).

Back