Jump to content
BigFoot

Myself and a load of my customers flooded!

Recommended Posts

BigFoot

Last night  Storm Dennis hit us hard! All houses on my street flooded wasn’t great for us but some of my customers are evacuated and not aloud home tonight either, many under 3-5 ft of water don’t look like any work for me this week access is also a nightmare. Clean up mode now and dealing with the grabbing insurance company any advice on that front greatly appreciated!

the photo shows the sort of rain that runs off the hills in our valleys in storms.

 

D4424A11-91B1-481F-82F7-2406C7FFB915.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
scottish cleaning service

Unbelievable. I would try and quickly hire a few dehumidifiers because you will need them for a few months and they go quickly. Sorry to see that photo which looks like a river down the street.

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj

Oh dear sorry to hear this flooding in a house is a nightmare and takes months to sort out , having been In the Fireservice for 30 years I have seen this a lot , evan had my place flooded back in the 80s so I understand what it’s like hope you get it sorted soon 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar

You guys got it rough yesterday man. The wife has a friend who moved to Wales, she has 2 toddlers and the whole family had to be rescued. Hope you and yours are ok!

Share this post


Link to post
windowsurfer

Sorry to hear of the flood affecting you all,total nightmare, bad enough weather affecting work never mind it causing your life to turn upside down,hope you get things sorted soon.

Share this post


Link to post
BigFoot

Getting stuck into the cleanup, smells like a fish pond!

looking forward to a good clear out and starting from scratch.

I am very worried about the onslaught of ikea trips with the wife...

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
32 minutes ago, BigFoot said:

Getting stuck into the cleanup, smells like a fish pond!

looking forward to a good clear out and starting from scratch.

I am very worried about the onslaught of ikea trips with the wife...

Hopefully covered  by insurance?? Still a nightmare though . 

Share this post


Link to post
Incheck

Count myself very lucky. An old school friend got hit on saturday due to a landslide. Woke up 2:30am saturday to the sound of a waterfall and the whole house was ruined by then. Bute park and pontcanna fields under water, taffs well and ponty got it real bad. Lucky im on high ground here but had to work on the banks of the taff today was half wondering whether half my custys got hit but thankfully the banks are higher round this part. a mile away evacuations were taking place though just in case. Hope times improve for you my man.

Edited by Incheck

Share this post


Link to post
BigFoot
2 hours ago, Pjj said:

Hopefully covered  by insurance?? Still a nightmare though . 

Yep confirmed we are covered, I just hope the loss adjuster is fair.

Share this post


Link to post
BigFoot
1 hour ago, Incheck said:

Count myself very lucky. An old school friend got hit on saturday due to a landslide. Woke up 2:30am saturday to the sound of a waterfall and the whole house was ruined by then. Bute park and pontcanna fields under water, taffs well and ponty got it real bad. Lucky im on high ground here but had to work on the banks of the taff today was half wondering whether half my custys got hit but thankfully the banks are higher round this part. a mile away evacuations were taking place though just in case. Hope times improve for you my man.

Yea, the entire region was hammered.

Share this post


Link to post
RWCleaning

Heard that some people didn’t have insurance as the premiums were too high after the last flood! What a sad situation ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
dazmond

absolutely devastating.......this is just the start too....this is gonna happen time and time again in some areas as the weather gets more extreme.....the only thing you can do is all help each other clean up and start again.....and press the council/government for more flood defences.....☹️

Share this post


Link to post
BWC
On 16/02/2020 at 23:32, Pjj said:

Oh dear sorry to hear this flooding in a house is a nightmare and takes months to sort out , having been In the Fireservice for 30 years I have seen this a lot , evan had my place flooded back in the 80s so I understand what it’s like hope you get it sorted soon 

Sorry to see and read this mate. I’m the same as @Pjj but currently still a firefighter and it’s a nightmare for everyone affected. I spent a lot of time in Derbyshire recently rescuing people,  driving the boats and wading. How some parts of the UK are so under prepared and under funded baffles me sometimes. Hope you get sorted soon 

Share this post


Link to post
Dale Transparent
On 17/02/2020 at 15:24, BigFoot said:

Getting stuck into the cleanup, smells like a fish pond!

looking forward to a good clear out and starting from scratch.

I am very worried about the onslaught of ikea trips with the wife...

Hope it's starting to get better for you @BigFoot, saw the report on the Welsh news last night and was in Aberdulais yesterday, must be difficult to cope with

Share this post


Link to post
BigFoot
10 minutes ago, Dale Transparent said:

Hope it's starting to get better for you @BigFoot, saw the report on the Welsh news last night and was in Aberdulais yesterday, must be difficult to cope with

Getting through it, more of a waiting game now as insurance not visiting until tomorrow no time slot so need to be in all day. I’ve lost that match work this month and the long range forecast isn’t great for window cleaning here either. I’m behind as you’d imagine  but not as frustrated as you’d expect. 

I found the culprit of the flood for those interested I’ll attach a video I’ve made for my elected councillors to follow up on. Basically a tree half a mile away from our property fell redirecting a brook that caused mayhem for our street.

 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar

I thought the worst of it was over but a friend just sent me a picture of the flood warning document they have just been issued. He lives just near the severn. They only come round when flooding is imminent 😢

Edited by P4dstar

Share this post


Link to post
Davy G
17 hours ago, BigFoot said:

Getting through it, more of a waiting game now as insurance not visiting until tomorrow no time slot so need to be in all day. I’ve lost that match work this month and the long range forecast isn’t great for window cleaning here either. I’m behind as you’d imagine  but not as frustrated as you’d expect. 

I found the culprit of the flood for those interested I’ll attach a video I’ve made for my elected councillors to follow up on. Basically a tree half a mile away from our property fell redirecting a brook that caused mayhem for our street.

 

That’s a great idea... finding and filming the blockage. I've done the same thing in the past. 

Delopers wanted to build a major development with a huge footprint on a sensitive and very ecologically important peat bog and on a flood plain that was adjacent to it. They reckoned it only flooded badly during one in a hundred year storms. On the second day of the week long oral hearing I put a display on the wall, of dated photographs showing the results of several major flooding events in the recent years. Some taken from a hired helicopter and others from the ground. If the devolopment had gone ahead I'm one hundred percent certain it would have lead to flooding in the village a couple of miles downstream during major rain events, as the water would have run off too quickly. 

The few of us that could see what was going on were outnumbered by about ten to one. The other locals were thinking it was going to be a great boost to the economy. It wasn't, it would have provided a couple of imported specialist jobs building, monitoring and maintaining, and just a few local excavators and haulage lorries in the building stage, and as I said long term periodical flooding to the village. 

We won the case after a very hard fight and after our neighbours had looked into it properly several of them actually thanked us for seeing through it and standing up. 

Apologies for the War and Peace. ☺️

Well done again. 🙂

Edited by Davy G

Share this post


Link to post
BigFoot

Insurance have been and taken a load off my mind!

looks like they’ll do everything that’s needed. 

We are going to be Re homed for a few months they said 5-8 roughly 

2-3 months just to dry the property! 

I don’t like being in limbo and am not a fan of new things, people or places 

so going to have to adjust but feel great full for having insurance, I’m hearing stories 

of others in my community that had none and lost everything!

Share this post


Link to post
Davy G
1 hour ago, BigFoot said:

Insurance have been and taken a load off my mind!

looks like they’ll do everything that’s needed. 

We are going to be Re homed for a few months they said 5-8 roughly 

2-3 months just to dry the property! 

I don’t like being in limbo and am not a fan of new things, people or places 

so going to have to adjust but feel great full for having insurance, I’m hearing stories 

of others in my community that had none and lost everything!

That's a relief for you. Very sad and difficult for some people for sure.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.