Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Asphalt cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tutster

Hi all I've got a large area to clean this is 2 asphalt tennis courts I've always used a gun 30 years of industrial cleaning behind me lol but for this job i have gone out and treated myself to the 20 inch whirlaway with the casters on my question is are these fit for purpose if run on low pressure my machine is capable of 4000 psi with 18 litre per minute the whirlaway is set at roughly an inch from the surface is this to close as most will know the working distance is adjustable just a bit apprehensive with this being my first time on a rotary surface cleaner any advise will be greatly welcoming thankyou 

Hi all I've got a large area to clean this is 2 asphalt tennis courts I've always used a gun 30 years of industrial cleaning behind me lol but for this job i have gone out and treated myself to the 20 inch whirlaway with the casters on my question is are these fit for purpose if run on low pressure my machine is capable of 4000 psi with 18 litre per minute the whirlaway is set at roughly an inch from the surface is this to close as most will know the working distance is adjustable just a bit apprehensive with this being my first time on a rotary surface cleaner any advise will be greatly welcoming thankyou 
You might be better off using a twin turbo nozzle so you can see the exact result. It costs about £150 from Rutland Pumps. I have a fsc like yours but very rarely use it because its too slow. If you can take the whirlaway back and get your money back and hire one. Then you will have experience and may not want one and stick with the twin turbo lance.

Scottish cleaning service don't say that I thought these whirlaway was supposed to be the dog ******** lol I've always done my work with a turbo I just thought the size of the area it would be more efficient I'm getting some really big block paved driveways as well and my thinking was these surface cleaners would speed the job up 

Scottish cleaning service don't say that I thought these whirlaway was supposed to be the dog ******** lol I've always done my work with a turbo I just thought the size of the area it would be more efficient I'm getting some really big block paved driveways as well and my thinking was these surface cleaners would speed the job up 
Fsc are an excellent tool Scottish just hasn’t learned that yet ??? when doing tarmac just dint run the washer flat out start with low revs do a test patch , make sure you have a good overlap it will be fine 

Pjj thanks for that you've cheered me up lol what would you recommend the working height should be it's come pre set at around an inch from the surface like you say I'm going to start on low revs and see how it's going I have my gun on standby just in case  ?

Pjj thanks for that you've cheered me up lol what would you recommend the working height should be it's come pre set at around an inch from the surface like you say I'm going to start on low revs and see how it's going I have my gun on standby just in case  ?
To be honest I have just used mine with the height that it came at when I bought it , never altered it I do use low revs though 250 bar 21 ltr machine about quarter throttle removes everything ??

i would not want to do that size of area with a lance ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Pjj me neither that's why I went down this road if I get this job sorted another 6 tennis courts are waiting for me ? I've had the honda gx390 for 4 years now and I've always used at less than half revs it's never let me down once I think the combination of the water flow and adequate pressure is the key i think mines 18 litres 

Fsc are an excellent tool Scottish just hasn’t learned that yet ??? when doing tarmac just dint run the washer flat out start with low revs do a test patch , make sure you have a good overlap it will be fine 
To be honest, I just feel they are to slow and can leave stripes. When i changed to the twin turbo I felt it was faster. Now i mostly use my Falch nozzle for tarmac, monoblock, roofs and decking because of how quick it is and i don't need to go back over bits. fwiw

Awesome piece of kit !

View attachment 19527
Bought one (Rutland Pumps) for about £30 I think and used it Monday with the swivel. Fantastic, was able to Turbo the patio and then change over to my rinse lance which has a 40 degree nozzle. Only took me just over an hour to complete then I drove round to the front. I parked away from driveway so I don't spray the van like I used too. Decided to change to my rinse lance and got soaked from my new ball valve. Checked it when I got home and the rubber O ring was missing. Never a dull day in my life, so it seems. ?

Bought one (Rutland Pumps) for about £30 I think and used it Monday with the swivel. Fantastic, was able to Turbo the patio and then change over to my rinse lance which has a 40 degree nozzle. Only took me just over an hour to complete then I drove round to the front. I parked away from driveway so I don't spray the van like I used too. Decided to change to my rinse lance and got soaked from my new ball valve. Checked it when I got home and the rubber O ring was missing. Never a dull day in my life, so it seems. ?
Oh yeah those o rings pop out of place or magically disappear! Get a load of spares....Do you window clean as well?

Hi Scottish I've just been on Rutland website but I couldn't find these what did you type Into the search bar and do they come complete with the quick release and 40 degree nozzle cheers 

Hi Scottish I've just been on Rutland website but I couldn't find these what did you type Into the search bar and do they come complete with the quick release and 40 degree nozzle cheers 
Will post a photo but not sure what you mean with the 40 degree nozzle. ?

My ball valve has a 3/8 male and 3/8 female quick release that Ben at Rutland Pumps fits together. All you do is phone them and tell them the size of quick release your high pressure hose has. They fitted two 40 degree nozzles on a small Whirlaway I bought from them. I also have a 40 degree nozzle fitted on to a 6mm quick release that I can plug into the end of my lance. fwiw

foto.jpg

Mine was also from Rutland Pumps... also tell them you want a wash down nozzle to fit either the 3/8 ball valve or maybe the lance size of your choice.... wash down nozzles are the dogs danglies....

Here is Phil of Dirty Drive Away explaining his 65deg chem nozzle he uses for washing down ....   

If your having troubles.... just download these pics and email them to Rutland pumps, tell them your hose connections, alternatively send a pic with a ruler close to the fittings and they will get you sorted.

Hope it helps.

Cheers Dave.

Back