Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie thinking of starting up in the summer

MansWC

Hello!

Just signed up, looking to join the world of window cleaning in a few months and was hoping for some advice if you don't mind!

Currently working in a marketing job in the city, but ridiculously fed up with sitting behind a desk all day working my ar*e off with no recognition (and no pay rise in sight). Time to up sticks!

Window cleaning has caught my eye, and although I'm still very new to it all, I think I'll go straight in with WFP as it seems like most places are heading that way anyway. First question is about the kit I'll need to set up - what will I need? By the time I'm ready to dive in (maybe 5 months time from now) I'll likely have a few thousand pounds to get myself going, hopefully that will cover most things. Not sure if I'll buy a van straight away, so will just use my car initially, so I assume I will need some smaller barrels of water to carry in the car?

I'll be London based (SW), is there still demand out there for windies in this area? I obviously don't want to tread on people toes, so what would be the best way to find out who is operating houses/buildings etc, or is it a case of business is business?

If you have any other start up tips for a newbie, would be massively appreciated ?

I used to live and work in nw london (w10) and always could fund work although there are loads of windies round there.

Like I always say shoe leather is an indicator of how much work you have.

Het the leaflets out and somendoor knocking any spare moment you have and you will do fine round there.

Just make sure you price high enough as the area will allow you to and you will do fine 

Where are you based ?

If you use the search bar, you will find all the answers as this question gets asked all the time. Happy reading. 
mid you are hoping to do window cleaning, carrying barrels isn’t easy, so build up the muscle and the monies?

I used to live and work in nw london (w10) and always could fund work although there are loads of windies round there.

Like I always say shoe leather is an indicator of how much work you have.

Het the leaflets out and somendoor knocking any spare moment you have and you will do fine round there.

Just make sure you price high enough as the area will allow you to and you will do fine 

Where are you based ?
Thanks Dave, will definitely be doing that once we've moved there! Currently in Battersea but moving out to Essex for a few months then back into London in the Wimbledon area, so should be able to price reasonably well there.

Jango - noted, thank you. Didn't think to search!

Want the summer now! excited to get started ?

I lived in trellik tower on golbourne road (28th floor) parallel with ladbroke grove.

Could see battersea power station and shepherds bush market from my windows.

Loads of work round there if you can be arsed to find it.

Try round that way as there are some good money houses round the west end.

I was born in st marys so built up a good bit of work round there before moving to Hertfordshire. 

Don't know if you know it but used to hang round by the ha'penny steps and that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah okay! You wasn't actually too far from where I am now - I'm west of Battersea park. I don't know your way very well though...

I'm moving out of here Saturday so sadly can't get cracking before then. Might start a weekend round in Essex while I'm there but we'll see.

Once I'm settled in Wimbledon though I can properly get going and span out, I'm sure there's loads of work to be found!

Going to be in north Essex, about 20 mins from Colchester.

Whats the consensus on buying a ready kitted out van with tank already fitted, or starting from a car and working your way up to a van?

Going to be in north Essex, about 20 mins from Colchester.

Whats the consensus on buying a ready kitted out van with tank already fitted, or starting from a car and working your way up to a van?
Well it's a lot easier, but also a lot more expensive. You also might do a day of window cleaning and think forget this.

So personally I would start off with your car. You can even make your car into a little van by removing the back seats and adding a bit of ply down, worked for me. Working with a backpack and barrels definitely takes more time. I attached my hose reel to the plywood, then barrels all around and I have a water pump transfer kit from barrels to backpack to avoid lifting the barrels. Fills the backpack in less than a minute.

Well it's a lot easier, but also a lot more expensive. You also might do a day of window cleaning and think forget this.

So personally I would start off with your car. You can even make your car into a little van by removing the back seats and adding a bit of ply down, worked for me. Working with a backpack and barrels definitely takes more time. I attached my hose reel to the plywood, then barrels all around and I have a water pump transfer kit from barrels to backpack to avoid lifting the barrels. Fills the backpack in less than a minute.
Interesting! Do you have any pics of your setup? How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

You make a good point re the van. Car it is. 

You need to get a window cleaning license before you start takes about 28 days for the process. Costs me £250 for 3 years might be different in your area. You also need public liability insurance should get that for under £100 depending on who you use. I started off using backpack it’s not the easiest way but you need to start somewhere. I get all my stuff from window cleaning where houses have a look on there site 

You need to get a window cleaning license before you start takes about 28 days for the process. Costs me £250 for 3 years might be different in your area. You also need public liability insurance should get that for under £100 depending on who you use. I started off using backpack it’s not the easiest way but you need to start somewhere. I get all my stuff from window cleaning where houses have a look on there site 
Thanks mate! Didn't realise it took 28 days to come through, I'll apply for that close to the time.

I'll take a look on their site, thanks.

For those using their cars, did you just get a trade policy alongside your normal policy?

Thanks mate! Didn't realise it took 28 days to come through, I'll apply for that close to the time.

I'll take a look on their site, thanks.

For those using their cars, did you just get a trade policy alongside your normal policy?
You won’t need a licence in London mate.

Have a look at https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/

That sounds like a good idea of josh! That way you would not have to continually lift barrels, this is more tiring than the job itself. Many use the backpack from the above site and the slx brushes. 
You need license for Scotland. I don’t think it’s needed for your area, but someone else will know for definite 

You don’t need a licence for  window Cleaning in London it’s only  in Scotland that it’s needed 

He's in london.. only the sweatys who need a licence. 

Interesting! Do you have any pics of your setup? How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

You make a good point re the van. Car it is. 
Sorry I don't have pictures, moved to a van set up however might be going back to my car, if it's soon I'll get a pic for you. It was a ford focus so plenty of room with back seats out.

In terms of cost, it was just the cost of the ply which was like 20 pounds ish then the pump from gardiner currently is just under 30. Then you have the actual window cleaning setup on top of course. I got 10 25l barrels for free, an SLX 25 (a very good all rounder pole) for 50 and a 350l tank for 40 from a facebook window cleaning group. So definitely join some of these and keep your eye out! 

Back