Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do you fill backpacks?

Dirty dan

I always pull my hose through houses, but slowly coming round to the idea of using a backpack to do the rears, just wondering how you guys filter the water? My normal system filters as I’m using it so to fill backpack with current set up would take too long and wouldn’t be practical. What’s the easiest way to sort this out if I decided to go through with it? Thanks

Fill the backpack the night before or get a few 25l barrels which you can also fill the night before, pending how many properties you need to clean?

Why can’t you just take the hose round the back? Filter water at night in 25l drums and take them with you 
Most of the time I do take the hose around the back but I’m starting to get more terraced houses. I drag hose through but was thinking a backpack would be easier.

How would I filter into 25l drums ?

Most of the time I do take the hose around the back but I’m starting to get more terraced houses. I drag hose through but was thinking a backpack would be easier.

How would I filter into 25l drums ?
By transferring water from a storage tank.

In the beginning I filtered water directly into my trailer tanks. I used to carry 100 litres in containers to supplement my needs. When i got home I started to fill the containers first, checking how full they were every 20 minutes. It was painful. Then at around 10 o'clock at night I started to fill the trailer. It was usually full by morning.

An ibc tank in the garage solved many problems as my then small r/o could be left for hours to refill the tank.

My son prefers to use a backpack. When not using the hose reel he uses that pump to fill a 20 liter container which he decants into his back pack. He sets 'his' Varistream controller to either 1 or 2 to full the drum whilst he is using his backpack.

I also have a short length of garden hose on a ball valve which he can also use. That fills quite quickly from the van's tank with gravity when it's full. Problem is the tap is at the side door so can only be used when it's safe to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't often use the backpack but for some houses it's speed us up tones.

We have installed half inch pipe from out tanks to a 3 way. One of the output goes to the pump and reels. the other goes to a tap. When we open the tap it fills our backpack from empty to full in 30 seconds just using gravity.

Before this we used to use a pump but that took longer to fill.

Now we can get backpack out start it filling and by the time we have connected the pole up its full. Saved us so much time. We should have do it years ago.

On a side note using half inch hose has also improved our flow rate when we are both working at same time.

Back