Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is your go to brush?

BWC

Hi again everyone,

After a lot of feedback from you all I’ve decided to get myself a SLX 22 to replace my old second hand CLX 27 as my everyday pole. I already have the swivel gooseneck and univalve. 

I get the option to choose a brush when I get the SLX at the end of this month. 

My question is what is your go to brush? 

I currently have a 24cm medium soft Gardiner sill brush, a universal medium soft sill brush and I think it’s a medium soft super-lite brush that came with the CLX. 

As an all rounder after looking at the Gardiner brush guide I’m leaning towards the ultimate 35cm DuPont hybrid medium soft.

Will a 35cm speed up my work, or will the added weight of the brush make it irrelevant?

Thanks again 

I’ve personally not tried many brushes so can’t comment on the 35cms, but I use a gardiners medium mixed sill brush for everything. I use an old one for conny roofs and first cleans and a newer one for maintenance work. I’ve always had the opinion “if it aint broke don’t fix”, but then I am very stuck in my ways!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve personally not tried many brushes so can’t comment on the 35cms, but I use a gardeners medium mixed sill brush for everything. I use an old one for conny roofs and first cleans and a newer one for maintenance work. I’ve always had the opinion “if it aint broke don’t fix”, but then I am very stuck in my ways!
I use the same as you for my maintenance cleans, the super-lite for first cleans and the universal sill for conservatory roofs. But I’m open to trying something different and growing the brush collection! 

My son loves the ultimate DuPont, me personally I love the extreme brushes they take a bit of getting used to I use these for maintenance cleans.

the ultimate flock is a great brush brilliant for leaded and first cleans. 

Like Den, I'm stuck on the Xtremes. I'm an Xtreme pole user as well and the Xtreme brush range balance well with these poles. The only one I haven't bee able to get on with is the stiff version, but then I'm a cold water user. The only sill brushes I've ever been able to get on with are the Xtremes as well. 

I had to remove some dried egg from a customers upstairs window last week and recon the Xtremes would have struggled a bit so I used an old but good condition Supalite med mixed with some Screwfix No Nonsense Degreaser. This did the trick

My son loves the ultimate DuPont, me personally I love the extreme brushes they take a bit of getting used to I use these for maintenance cleans.

the ultimate flock is a great brush brilliant for leaded and first cleans. 
I am intrigued by the flocked brushes and I am thinking about maybe getting one just because I don’t have that kind of brush in my arsenal yet. But being new to the game I am only just realising the versatility of them. I always thought they were only good for leaded!

Like Den, I'm stuck on the Xtremes. I'm an Xtreme pole user as well and the Xtreme brush range balance well with these poles. The only one I haven't bee able to get on with is the stiff version, but then I'm a cold water user. The only sill brushes I've ever been able to get on with are the Xtremes as well. 

I had to remove some dried egg from a customers upstairs window last week and recon the Xtremes would have struggled a bit so I used an old but good condition Supalite med mixed with some Screwfix No Nonsense Degreaser. This did the trick
I’m interested in the xtremes purely because of the light weight but read they aren’t as long lasting as a lot of the other brushes. Would you say that’s right in your experience? 

45cm 4 x 1.4mm jets flocked does us for maintenance cleans. Glides over the glass like a Rolls Royce. Far better than the scratchy Xtremes ?
I’ve always thought flocked was purely for leaded, I'm only just learning about the versatility of them! I’m using a backpack so would the 45cm with the 4 1.4mm jets hammer the water do you think? 

I am intrigued by the flocked brushes and I am thinking about maybe getting one just because I don’t have that kind of brush in my arsenal yet. But being new to the game I am only just realising the versatility of them. I always thought they were only good for leaded!
They are very good at first cleans being single trim means maximum bristles are in contact with the frames/glass just remember to rinse off the glass and flick the bristles with your fingers as they can hold bits of debris in the bristles. 

I have a day we’re we clean 30 odd houses and most are leaded makes the day a whole lot easier using the flock. 

I reckon this is about the 7th time I’ve answered on a thread about this same subject in under two years haha 

Anyway, my regular maintenance brush is the ultimate DuPont.

I reckon this is about the 7th time I’ve answered on a thread about this same subject in under two years haha 

Anyway, my regular maintenance brush is the ultimate DuPont.
? apologies. But a lot can change and new things/ideas come up so I wanted to ask the question and get the most up to date advice/thoughts and make the right decision! Are you using the 26cm or 35cm? 

? apologies. But a lot can change and new things/ideas come up so I wanted to ask the question and get the most up to date advice/thoughts and make the right decision! Are you using the 26cm or 35cm? 
26 Cm. I only do domestic and when I used a 35cm extreme last year I found it too big/wide for quite a few windows. 

I’ve always thought flocked was purely for leaded, I'm only just learning about the versatility of them! I’m using a backpack so would the 45cm with the 4 1.4mm jets hammer the water do you think? 
It's a big lump of a brush and is heavy to use all day. It is however very quick over the glass.and on easy maintenance jobs will be quicker and therefore better with water. As you're a newbie I'd leave it till your up to speed and confident with your technique 

It's a big lump of a brush and is heavy to use all day. It is however very quick over the glass.and on easy maintenance jobs will be quicker and therefore better with water. As you're a newbie I'd leave it till your up to speed and confident with your technique 
Next brush I am going for is the 45, currently on a 35 which speeded up jobs a lot. The 45 should make it even faster.

I’m interested in the xtremes purely because of the light weight but read they aren’t as long lasting as a lot of the other brushes. Would you say that’s right in your experience? 
I’ve heard similar things but I think it must be down to the user because it hasn’t been my experience. 

The Ultimate DuPont Tapertec is a great all rounder and good on leaded windows also, get the 1.4mm jet capsules, the ultimate brushes are just a lighter version of a SuperLite it feels lighter in use than the Xtreme sill flocked. 

Back