Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Replacing Resin and Brushes..

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PR Cleaning Solutions

Hi all, So I currently use an Unger Purified Water system, I find the TDS Meter isnt very accurate in it though, its not the best being honest but I do find the results on peoples windows is amazing so I know it works. My question is, how often do you find you replace the bags of resin in these systems?

Also do you find you need to replace your brushes often?

Thanks

Philip Rowe

PR Cleaning Solutions

I did read that resin usage is higher in vessels <11L volume - not sure how accurate this info is but heard it was a drawback of the unger system with 6L vessel. For resin replacement its best to check the water straight our of the pole hose - just grab a HS tds meter and check it yourself: 

HM digi TDS meter

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I did read that resin usage is higher in vessels <11L volume - not sure how accurate this info is but heard it was a drawback of the unger system with 6L vessel. For resin replacement its best to check the water straight our of the pole hose - just grab a HS tds meter and check it yourself: 

HM digi TDS meter
I would be interested in the more info resin used using a 11L DI vessel as that’s what I use, if using a smaller vessel helps reduce resin I would purchased one but would like to see the science in it first? 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would be interested in the more info resin used using a 11L DI vessel as that’s what I use, if using a smaller vessel helps reduce resin I would purchased one but would like to see the science in it first? 
Imho if 1 liter of resin will purify 500 litres of water then 10 liters of resin will purify 5000 liters of water.

It has always been recommended that we fill our tanks quickly with tap water and pump it through a di vessel as we clean. Purify on demand they say. If we have our flow at 2 lpm and have a 1 liter di vessel, that water is going to be in the vessel for 30 seconds. If we have a 10 liter vessel then the water is going to be in that vessel for 5 minutes. This will give the resin more time to purify the water, especially when the resin is nearly spent.

You could help the 1 liter vessel by reducing the flow so the resin had more time to do it's job. But there comes a time when this is just impractical.

So my take is that in practice you are better off with a bigger Di vessel. However, changing resin in a large vessel will be more difficult, so one needs to consider this aspect.

I did see a YouTube video where some American showed an easy way of emptying a large Di vessel of spent resin so there is always a solution to a problem.

Then there is a better solution of double Di which will make better use of the resin in each Di vessel.

Imho if 1 liter of resin will purify 500 litres of water then 10 liters of resin will purify 5000 liters of water.

It has always been recommended that we fill our tanks quickly with tap water and pump it through a di vessel as we clean. Purify on demand they say. If we have our flow at 2 lpm and have a 1 liter di vessel, that water is going to be in the vessel for 30 seconds. If we have a 10 liter vessel then the water is going to be in that vessel for 5 minutes. This will give the resin more time to purify the water, especially when the resin is nearly spent.

You could help the 1 liter vessel by reducing the flow so the resin had more time to do it's job. But there comes a time when this is just impractical.

So my take is that in practice you are better off with a bigger Di vessel. However, changing resin in a large vessel will be more difficult, so one needs to consider this aspect.

I did see a YouTube video where some American showed an easy way of emptying a large Di vessel of spent resin so there is always a solution to a problem.

Then there is a better solution of double Di which will make better use of the resin in each Di vessel.
We have a 20 ltr resin vessel in the vans on an ro system , I change the resin approx every 12-15 months , I find the best way to empty it is tip it upside down and flush it out with a garden hose takes less than a muinit . 

We have a 20 ltr resin vessel in the vans on an ro system , I change the resin approx every 12-15 months , I find the best way to empty it is tip it upside down and flush it out with a garden hose takes less than a muinit . 
For me it would be capturing that resin so I can put it all in the waste collection bin.

Hi all, So I currently use an Unger Purified Water system, I find the TDS Meter isnt very accurate in it though, its not the best being honest but I do find the results on peoples windows is amazing so I know it works. My question is, how often do you find you replace the bags of resin in these systems?

Also do you find you need to replace your brushes often?

Thanks

Philip Rowe

PR Cleaning Solutions
Regarding brush replacement. I'm sure that there will be a scientific time to replace it but I doubt many of us have experienced that time. As with most things brush related there will be fact on one side and fiction on the other. Each one of us will have experience which will fall somewhere between fact and fiction. Where it falls will be different for each of us.

My son will wear the corners of his brushes round but still manages to do a good job of cleaning the windows.

Personally the time to replace a brush is when the bristles on the edge that splay out have worn away. Our brushes aren't subject to the rigours of hot water so they last well. I tend to over clean so this would probably account for any brush performance reduction.

Those who use hot water seem to say they generally last for around 3 months.

Of course this is what I think and may not be fact at all. I'm in the club that replaces brushes when a new one comes out that others start to rave about.

Brushes that splay out use the side of the bristles to clean and they will wear in time. Wear rate of the same brush will be different for each user.

This topic of brush longevity came up many years ago on another forum and I seem to think that a time figure came up but I can't remember what was said. Since then there are brushes with new bristles which may have a different wear pattern.

I'm sure @Alex Gardiner will correct me with more about this topic. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it would be capturing that resin so I can put it all in the waste collection bin.
Just rinse it out of vessel into the plastic sack that it’s deliverd in with mine from Gardiners the plastic sack has fine cut lines in it that allows the water to drain out but captures the resin then just put it out for  the dustman 

Regarding brush replacement. I'm sure that there will be a scientific time to replace it but I doubt many of us have experienced that time. As with most things brush related there will be fact on one side and fiction on the other. Each one of us will have experience which will fall somewhere between fact and fiction. Where it falls will be different for each of us.

My son will wear the corners of his brushes round but still manages to do a good job of cleaning the windows.

Personally the time to replace a brush is when the bristles on the edge that splay out have worn away. Our brushes aren't subject to the rigours of hot water so they last well. I tend to over clean so this would probably account for any brush performance reduction.

Those who use hot water seem to say they generally last for around 3 months.

Of course this is what I think and may not be fact at all. I'm in the club that replaces brushes when a new one comes out that others start to rave about.

Brushes that splay out use the side of the bristles to clean and they will wear in time. Wear rate of the same brush will be different for each user.

This topic of brush longevity came up many years ago on another forum and I seem to think that a time figure came up but I can't remember what was said. Since then there are brushes with new bristles which may have a different wear pattern.

I'm sure @Alex Gardiner will correct me with more about this topic. 
No need for correction ?

Brush replacement is usually down to a users own 'performance parameters of acceptability'.

Some will not replace until the metal of the staples are showing through and a square brush is now round. Others find that if the bristles are too splayed it does not clean as well and that is the time to change.

The longevity guide on our brush guide is usually a good guide for brushes in full time use.

Even when a brush still looks OK in shape, it is interesting that a new brush will noticeably clean faster and more efficiently - this is down to the wear on the bristle tips which is not so easily seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back